Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Zucchini Carpaccio

Posted by dishesdone (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 08 at 21:09

Made this one tonight. It was very good! A very light, nice side dish! We had it instead of a salad.

ZUCCHINI CARPACCIO
from Fig & Olive Restaurant, NYC
Serves 4

1 pound Zucchini
4 tablespoons Pine Nuts
6 tablespoons Parmesan Reggiano Cheese (flakes)
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
9 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cut the Zucchini with a salamander or carefully with a knife into finely sliced penny-thin wafers, with the
skin left on.

In a bowl combine the olive oil (fruity olive oil with no bitterness or peppery
taste) and the lemon juice.

Evenly spread the zucchini slices across a 9 x 9 inch plate. Cover the plates with a plastic film and put in
the refrigerator.

Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes in a pan to slightly brown them and develop their flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig & Olive

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Zucchini Carpaccio

ok, the last part didn't end up on the post. here's the whole recipe. Sorry :) and I never did put it in the frig with the saran wrap. Still was very good!

Zucchini Carpaccio
1 pound Zucchini
4 tablespoons Pine Nuts
6 tablespoons Parmesan Reggiano Cheese (flakes)
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
9 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cut the Zucchini with a salamander or carefully with a knife into finely sliced penny-thin wafers, with the
skin left on.

In a bowl combine the olive oil (fruity olive oil with no bitterness or peppery
taste) and the lemon juice.

Evenly spread the zucchini slices across a 9 x 9 inch plate. Cover the plates with a plastic film and put in
the refrigerator.

Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes in a pan to slightly brown them and develop their flavor.

SERVING
Right before serving, take the plates out of the refrigerator, wash the zucchini with the lemon & oil
dressing, season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread 1.5 tablespoons of shaved
parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of toasted pine nuts on each plate.

o

I thought a salamander was a spotted amphibian or a device for browning creme brulee? Is this antother thing I need to look for?
Sounds lovely....but I think I'll wait until zuchinni is in the stores for less than $1.39 a pound....and is firm and crisp...not "wiggley!"
Yeah....I know...just wait until Jessie sees that....but...I hate less than firm zichinni....make of that what you will!
Linda C

o

I thought a salamander was a lizard, a broiler and a heater too, but definitely not a slicer. Whatever! I used a mandoline. Kind of strange they got it wrong.

Just in case, Jessy, my zucchini was not wilted or floppy, I'm with you on this Linda, definitely I'm all for firm zucchini, very firm :)

o

This sounds like a nice dish, thanks Dishes. It reminds me a little bit of that fennel and mushroom salad that I just love.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation too - I'm putting it in my files - we always go to the same old place when we go into the city so it will be nice to try something new!

o

you're welcome, Woodie. We're supposed to go soon to celebrate a 50th birthday, I'll let you know how it is!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here