Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

LOOKING for: Scones

roselin32
19 years ago

A friend and I were talking about raspberry scones-we looked at this recipe but can't find the chocolate. Am I missing it or is it chocolate chips???;

Raspberry Scones

Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Sun, Jan 12, 03 at 22:43

Home Cookin 4.8 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Raspberry Scones ================

2 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 6 Tbsp. cold butter, 1 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup fresh raspberries, extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly with fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit. Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and when the dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. With the Chocolate you can add it along with the cream.

Comments (18)

• annie1992
    19 years ago

It's not the chocolate chips. There is another recipe, or rather, you have only a portion of Ann T's recipe. She has a recipe variation for chocolate scones or biscuits which she has used for strawberry shortcake.

I was sure I had saved it, but I can't find it. It may have been one of those items lost in the "Great Computer Crash".

Hopefully Ann T will see this and post the recipe again because it was on my "to try" list and I haven't tried it.

Annie

• chase_gw
    19 years ago

Roselin I have the Raspberry Scone recipe saved and it doesn't include the last sentence. Maybe Ann was cutting and pasting.....just scratch the last line.

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Roselin, That last sentence about the Chocolate was added at one time in response to someone asking about adding white chocolate to the scones.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

================

2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 Tbsp. cold butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup fresh raspberries
    extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
    salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a
    course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly with
    fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board just to
    incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart on
    greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake
    for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries or
    blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit. Still
    tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and when the
    dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. If you are adding white Chocolate chunks or chips you can add them along with the cream.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, that is too bad-thought that chocolate scones with raspberries would be great. Kathy and I will have to see what we can come up with for a meeting we are hostessing.
    Thanks all.
    RL`

• ann_t
    19 years ago

What's too bad? Chocolate and Raspberries are wonderful in Scones.

Ann

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I realize that chocolate and raspberries are an excellent combintation, I was thinking more along the line of chocolate flavored scones (with chocolate in the batter) and the raspberries as opposed to chocolate chips-white or chocolate.

• annie1992
    19 years ago

Ann, am I hallucinating or did you actually have a recipe for chocolate shortcakes to be served with strawberries? I was certain I had saved one, but now I can't find it.

Annie

• ann_t
    19 years ago

No you aren't hallucinating Annie. These chocolate shortcakes are a favourite of Moe's.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
    ==============================
    Source: Bed and Breakfast Guide on LIne

2 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
    3/4 cup chocolate chips
    3/4 cup whipping cream with
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

Strawberries
    Grand Marnier
    1 cup Sour cream
    1 cup Whipping Cream
    1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
    Vanilla
    . Place flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, salt, baking soda in food
    processor, pulse to mix. Cut butter into cubes and add along with the
    chocolate chips. Process on pulse to cut the butter and the chips into the
    flour mixture.

Place flour mixture into large bowl and add cream. Using a fork toss until
    mixture forms a ball. Do not overwork dough. Pat into a circle about 1 inch
    thick and cut with 2" biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on parchment paper,
    brush with some cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 450°F oven for
    about 15 minutes. Let cool, then cover with plastic wrap to keep them
    moist.

Slice strawberries and toss with Grand Marnier.

Mix sugar into sour cream Whip cream and fold into sour cream

To serve:

Split biscuit and place on plate. Spoon some of the sauce on to the bottom
    half and top with sliced strawberries. Add another dollop of cream and
    place other half of biscuit on top.

• annie1992
    19 years ago

Thank you, Ann. I was ALMOST sure that I knew what I was talking about but the memory is first to go. I think. I can't really remember. LOL

This time I'm SAVING it. Sheesh.

Roselin, I'll bet you could make a chocolate raspberry scone out of these, with maybe just a few adjustments....

Annie

• craftyrn
    19 years ago

roselin--do give those chocolate biscuits/shortcakes of Ann T's a try---I made them last year during strawberry season & they are melt in your mouth good--just stir in frozen raspberries.

Diane

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A friend in Wales is sending me a recipe I want to try.
    Thanks anyhow.
    RL`

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A friend sent me to the Joy of Baking website and there is the chocolate scones recipe. Will just add some raspberries and see what a treat we have.
    RL`

• annie1992
    19 years ago

I went to the Joy of Cooking site and check out the recipe. All the ingredients in the chocolate scones are also in Ann T's recipe, in fact they look startlingly similar, except Ann T's recipe makes a larger batch (more whipping cream, more flour, etc). Ann T's also adds chocolate chips instead of just cocoa.

All in all, it looks like pretty much the same recipe, with slight differences in the amounts of ingredients. I assume raspberries could take the place of chocolate chips pretty easily.

Annie

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Hey Ros, how did those scones turn out?

I was looking for a scones thread to share with someone, but I think I'll pass on this one.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

IS THIS IT???????

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

We adore Ann's Scones both her "plain" and the chocolate..But Now I make "plain" with just adding chocolate chips for my Kamren. He liked the Chocolate Chips in the chocolate ones, but it was to chocolatey for him..so He asked me to make them look like chocolate chip cookies..
    So I use the Raspberry Scone recipe, but mix in chocolate chips.

And I always make the raspberry ones with the addition of finely cubed white chocolate. (Those are hubbies favorite!)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Terri, what kind of white chocolate do you use? I think the last time I bought some - a fairly good brand I think...I still didn't feel they were as rich (chocolate rich) as I'm used to in a cookie. Maureen

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Maureen, I'm not sure what brand of white chocolate that Terri uses, but I use Bernard Callebaut white chocolate. I buy it in chunks and chop it up myself.

Ann