Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Need Recipes for Venison Roasts

Posted by macthayer (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 20:36

I am the happy recipient of 2 venison roasts, each about 3 pounds. (She gave me small ones because there is just me and my husband.) I've never cooked venison, but I do know they are lean and do better with slow, moist cooking --- I think anyway. The lady who gave them to me told me it was a young deer, but still quite lean. So, any suggestions for recipes so hubby and I can enjoy these two roasts? I do have a crock pot and also a clay pot cooker.
MacThayer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Need Recipes for Venison Roasts

I would use the crock pot for your venison roast. Add 2 cups of beef broth, 1 cut up onion, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and black pepper. or, you may use 2 cups water and 1 envelope onion soup mix. The oregano takes away any gamy taste.

o
RE: RECIPE: Need Recipes for Venison Roasts

It's been awhile since I fixed a venison roast but remember that I used a baking bag. Season the roast with greek seasoning and put strips of bacon over the top of the roast. Place in baking bag and bake at 325 degrees or lower until a fork will easily pierce the meat. Slower baking temp seems to make for more tender meat. This makes good chopped barbacue if after baking you chop and add you favorite sauce.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here