2 CUPS WATER

1 CUP RICE

1 CINNAMON STICK, BROKEN INTO PIECES

1 12 OZ CAN CARNATION EVAPORATED MILK

1 14 OZ CAN CARNATION CONDENSED MILK

1/2 CUP RAISINS

1-1/2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT

1/4 TSP SALT

2 LARGE EGGS, SLIGHTLY BEATEN ( I USE 1 SO IT'S HAS A CREAMIER CONSISTENCY)

GROUND CINNAMON

PLACE WATER, RICE, AND CINNAMON PIECES IN SAUCEPAN; BRING TO A BOIL. REDUCE HEAT TO LOW; COVER, COOK 12-14 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIQUID IS ABSORBED.

REMOVE CINNAMON PIECES. STIR IN MILKS, RAISINS, VANILLA AND SALT; BRING TO A BOIL. STIR A SMALL AMOUNT OF RICE MIXTURE INTO EGGS.

ADD EGG MIXTURE TO RICE MIXTURE; MIX WELL WITH WIRE WHISK. BRING TO A BOIL. COOK, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, 2 MINUTES. SERVE WARM OR CHILLED, SPRINKLE WITH CINNAMON BEFORE SERVING.

NOTE: PLACE PLASTIC WRAP OVER RICE PUDDING TO ELIMINATE THE THICK SKIN THAT PUDDINGS TEND TO HAVE...

Comments (12)

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

Have not had rice pudding since I was a youngster.'
    Fond fond memories, when my mother made it. sigh

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Baked rice pudding is one of my favourite desserts. I think you can't go past the old-fashioned desserts, no matter how hard you try! I like it served with cold tinned fruit, pretty nearly any kind.

Please, DDB, could you please not use capitals when posting? In computer-speak it's supposed to mean you're yelling at us, but aside from that it's jolly hard on the eyes for some of us! (I'm trying hard to ask in a nice way!) :-)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i had the uli's for rice pudding last night and made the baked custard type out of an old betty crocker cookbook. i left it outside through the night to chill and had it for breakfast this morning. i think it's been 12+ years since i made rice pudding. i hope it's not another 12 before i do it again. it was delicious!

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

My recipe which I have made in area PA eateries for 30 years:

1 cup medium grain rice (Old River Rice brand's my fav)
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    dash salt

Mix in a heavy pot & let simmer for 5 minutes. Scrape sides of pot often.

ADD:
    1/2 gallon milk

Mix and let come to a boil then lower heat & simmer until rice is done (about 20-25 minutes)
    and mixture is thickened. It will get thicker as it cools. Remove from heat.
    Add:
    5 beaten eggs
    1-2 tsp vanilla
    2/3 cup sugar
    Blend well.
    If consistency seems to thick-add more milk-sparingly until it's the thickness you desire. Best to wait until pudding is cooled, so you can see how thick it is at that point before adding more milk.

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry about typing in caps. I didn't know it meant that. Just thought it would be easier to read...

• lisbet
    17 years ago

I like "deedeebaker's" recipe because of the two types of Carnation milk. Am certainly going to try it...sounds delicious. Love Rice Pudding!

The recipe I had been using called for separating the eggs, and tempering the beaten yolks before adding to the rice/milk mix. Then beating the egg whites until stiff and shiny. Then..."quickly but gently fold rice mixture into whites, keeping mixture fluffy.(There is enough heat in rice to cook whites.)" - [From Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking - p.637]

Do you suppose this could possibly make a lighter, fluffier Rice Pudding? Also have found that the dark raisins discolor the pudding somewhat, so am going to try with the light colored raisins. Think it is worth an experimental trial!

• lindac
    17 years ago

My grandmother made the very best rice pudding...
    It's a very strange recipe...calls for 1/2 cup rice lots of milk....think a quart...a little sugar...no eggs.
    And you put it all into a casserole and bake for 4 hours, stirring every so often for the first 2 hours or so.
    It's wonderful...the rice still has a bite to it, the milk concentrates down, it gets a wonderful crust on top...
    Now I'll have to dig for that recipe....hope I can find it.!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

My mother made this one which I didn't care much for because it had so many raisins in it but she used them a lot because they were "good for you." I've made it without them & it's much better but keep them in if you like them. DeeDee, yours sounds much better!
    RICE PUDDING (Serves 8)
    8 cups milk, scalded
    1/4 cup rice
    1 cup raisins
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt

Wash rice. Combine milk, rice, sugar & salt. Pour into shallow baking dish. Bake in a 325° oven about 3 hours. Stir frequently. Add raisins. Continue baking until rice is soft & plump.~~Searchlight

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My mother told me that her mother used to bake the rice pudding in the oven and it came out so creamy. I tried a "baked" rice pudding once and it was too dry. I like my recipe because I thought it was quick to make. I used to do a recipe that called for 1 gallon milk, whole box of rice, etc. and you would have to bring to a boil, which meant standing at the stove for a long time and stir because milk burns quickly. But I must say it was great rice pudding. Thanks for sharing your recipes

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I don't care to have the oven on that long for a rice pudding myself. Glad you posted yours as I think it needs to go into my "to try" file.

• yakuta
    17 years ago

I guess rice pudding is a comfort food for sure. My version may be considered as exotic but in India this is how we make it. Try it once and I promise you will have no left over.

Rice 1 cup
    2 cans of evaporated milk
    1 can of condensed milk
    1 cup of heavy cream
    1 tsp of freshly ground cardamom (cinnamon is not a substitute)
    2 healthy pinches of saffron threads
    Nuts of your choice (traditionally we use sweet almond slivers and pistachio slivers)

Cook the rice first in plain water until they are completely cooked and mushy.

Add all the milks to a pan along with the cooked rice and cook them down for atleast 30-40 minutes (stirring constantly) until it's nice and thick and bubbly. Add the cardamom, saffron (I like to pinch my threads and crumble them in the pan directly). Taste sugar and add a bit more if you like it sweet (I sometimes skip it because condensed milk has plenty of it).

Let it chill in the refrigerator. Serve with a healthy sprinkling of nuts.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Yakuta, that sounds wonderful. Will print it out and try it soon. Thank you.
    RL`