Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

RECIPE: It is asparagus time here

roselin32
15 years ago

Have had it the past two nights.....we love it roasted with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning. How do you fix it?

Comments (14)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I don't. I don't like it but wish I did.

• shambo
    15 years ago

Roselin, I do the same as you. It's just so easy to throw the trimmed stalks on a baking sheets & drizzle with oil. I usually buy at least two bunches at a time when they're on sale. It's just the two of us, but we can go through quite a few stalks at one meal. And I'm always snitching some more as I put away leftovers & clean up after dinner.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shambo, I do the same thing. Do you use the Montreal seasoning? I buy it at Sam's but found that McCormicks makes it now too. I have 2# in the refrig right now and will get some more and make a salad out of it before it goes off sale tomorrow. When we lived in Germany, they had a thousand different ways to prepare it and some restaurants had menus of just asparagus in the spring.

• woodie
    15 years ago

We love it roasted also, just with a little pepper on it, no salt. I like some parmesan shaved on just as it comes out of the oven and cover it with foil til it melts. Leftover goes in a salad or just by itself sprinkled with some really good old balasamic.

• work_in_progress_08
    15 years ago

Roasted either on grill or in oven on high heat. I break the woody ends and then toss with olive oil and season liberally with kosher salt. Bake or grill to desired doneness. Yummy!

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

We're just getting into asparagus season now and by next week, I will be buying lots of it.

I most often cut it in about 1 1/2 inch slices and steam it in the microwave with a Tbs. of water, adding the tips toward the end of the cooking time. I'll put some browned butter or hollandaise sauce on it.

I'll do another batch in the microwave and then blanch it it ice water to keep it green. Then I use that for asparagus salad (sometimes with shrimp) with mustard dill dressing to pack for lunch at work, or use it in omelets, quiche or pasta dishes. I made angel hair pasta with asparagus and lobster scampi for Valentine's day.

I do like it roasted with olive oil and lime juice and I also use the Montreal Steak seasoning when roasting it.

The rare leftovers turn into asparagus pancakes or cream of asparagus soup.

• suzieque
    15 years ago

Hi - chiming in on this one. I absolutely love asparagus, even simply steamed. I will try it as some of you suggested, above.

But believe it or not, I always have to fight off my cats for asparagus - they love it! Has anyone else found this? Actually, I don't fight them off - I give them their own portions because I'm sure it's good for them and because they like it so much. Between them and myself, we go through a bunch in one meal.

Suzieque

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

I have to try roasting some, it sounds so good. DH's favorite is to mince a couple of cloves of garlic, heat a pan and add the garlic and a bit of olive oil and let the garlic infuse the oil, then add the asparagus which has been cut into approximately 2" pieces, and saute until crisp tender, add a bit of salt and pepper and a small pat of butter.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

I used this recipe for a brunch, on Tuesday. Really good!

Rachel Ray's Asparagus salad

1-2 lb asparagus
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1 large egg, hard-boiled

1. Trim the ends of the asparagus and, using a vegetable peeler, peel the bottom halves. In a large, deep skillet, bring a few inches of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
    2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until combined; season to taste with salt and pepper.
    3. Place the asparagus on a platter and drizzle with the dressing. Halve the hard-boiled egg and press through a sieve over the asparagus.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glenda, that is the way I learned to make our asparagus salad when I lived in Germany........they have whole menus with just asparagus dishes on it for a month or so.....I loved them all.
    RL`

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I like it roasted with olive oil, pepper and salt. I also like grated Parmesan over it. I like it in garlic oil. I like it cut up, battered in cornmeal and fried like southern fried okra. I've misplaced a recipe I had which I liked that had it roasted with a sauce over it containing whole mustard seeds. I like it just about any way I can get it so long as it isn't mushy. I rarely get asparagus because I'm the only one here who will eat it.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Suzieque - My pug hasn't tried asparagus yet, but his favorite dish of all time is spinach with butter and vinegar on it.

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

Love asparagus, here's a recipe that's really good and heats up beautifully. I usually do 2# and don't alter the original amounts.

Stir Fried Asparagus

3 tablespoons butter
    1/8-teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoons chicken bouillon
    1-½ pounds asparagus, cut 2"
    1/8-teaspoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon soy sauce

In a large skillet melt butter. Add bouillon, celery salt and pepper; stir until blended. Add asparagus; cook about 2 minutes, until crispy tender. Add soy sauce. Serve immediately.

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

alas i am the only one in my house who likes asparagus. i have to eat it all alone and when no one else is at home because they don't like the smell either.

i like it steamed as spears and drizzled with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper. sometimes i like it with a
    wedge of lemon on the side. or chilled with a lemony vinagrette. but mostly i like it as a fritatta and as a fritatta sandwich.

diggerb

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville