Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fearlessem

RECIPE: Yummy Brussel Sprout Recipe

fearlessem
16 years ago

Hi all --

Just made this recipe tonight from cooking light and it was delicious. My only change was to switch from using butter to using bacon fat, and to add a few tablespoons full of chopped dried cranberries, which added a nice tangy sweet contrast...

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Brussel Sprouts with Pecans

Comments (7)

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

That sounds good. I have renewed my interest in Brussels sprouts of late. I hated them growing up, because my mother overcooked them, and they were bitter and smushy. Once I was on my own, I discovered (I can't remember how) that they were quite tasty if cooked until just tender, without turning olive green. I always had them with mayo for a dip, though, the way we'd eaten them when I was a kid.

I got the idea once to halve them and put them cold on a salad, and that was added to my Brussels sprouts repertoire.

Then a bit ago, I came across a recipe that involved stir frying them instead of steaming or boiling, and that has set me going again...I even cooked some on the BBQ the other night, and I've added them to the broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower category in terms of what dishes to use them in. I found a recipe the other day that involved thin-slicing them to quick saute like shredded cabbage...haven't tried that yet. However, it did give me the idea to thin slice them like that to add to a light-style peppery cold slaw (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, carrots, green onions & a black pepper, tarragon vinegar vinaigrette with EVO, sugar & salt).

• fearlessem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey rachelellen --

This recipe essentially thin slices and then quick sautes them , then adds a little bit of liquid to help finish the cooking. I was amazed at how quick it was -- five minutes and they were done -- compared to when I typically steam them whole and it takes much longer...

Sliced in a slaw sounds delicious!

Emily

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Emily - thanks for the link. I am a big brussel sprout fan. Make them a couple of times a month. I hated them growing up for the reasons expressed above.

I then saw Barefoot Contessa roast them. I have been using that recipe, and have converted my family to brussel sprout lovers. I just clean them (don't wet them, just cut the ends and take the outer leaves off if necessary), leave them whole, or cut them in half if they are huge. Toss with a bit of olive oil and kosher salt (a generous amount) and roast at 425 for approximately 30 minutes. Cooking time varies. I just roast them until they are brown and the outer leaves start to fall off (like crispy chips). The chips are yummy to snack on while waiting for the entire pan to brown!

I can't wait to try the recipe you were so generous to share. Thanks again!

• ovenbird
    16 years ago

fearlessem: Thanks for the great recipe...I love those little cabbages! Here is another good one you might want to try...I make this every Thanksgiving. Got the recipe from my sister; don't know where she got it from. I'll bet this would be good with sauteed thin sliced sprouts, skipping the boiling part.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PROSCIUTTO AND LEEKS
    16 servings

4 lbs Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed, halved lengthwise
    10 Tbs unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
    3 med. Leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
    6 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut julienne
    salt and pepper

Cook Brussels sprouts in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold water and drain again. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Wrap in kitchen towel and then plastic bag; refrigerate.)

Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and sauté 5 minutes. Add prosciutto and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to platter and serve.

• fearlessem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooh -- thanks ovenbird -- those sound fabulous, and I looooove leeks (and prosciutto of course!)

And Labmomma -- I've never tried roasting them, which is ridiculous since I roast nearly every other veggie... I will definitely give it a go!

Happy eating!
    Emily

• sue_b
    15 years ago

I really like brussel sprouts this way. I leave out the red bell pepper sometimes if I don't have one.
    Courtesy Rachael Ray

Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprouts

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 fresh bay leaf
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 teaspoons mustard seed
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    2 tubs Brussels sprouts
    2 tablespoons celery salt
    Black pepper

In a skillet, combine vinegar, honey and stock with a whisk. Stir in bay, onion, pepper, mustard seed and turmeric, stir and bring to a boil. Trim the Brussels sprouts and halve them. Add to stock mixture and season with celery salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, uncover and cook 5 minutes more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprouts

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I love brussel sprouts but DH can barely tolerate them. I always make some for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite ways so far is to trim them and cook them until just tender in boiling salted water. Cut them in half while they're still warm and toss in a vinaigrette dressing. I sampled them cooked this way at a local farm stand years ago, and they used a French vinaigrette made by Briannas that has a lot of cracked black pepper. That's what I've used ever since.

I'm going to try some of these other recipes. Maybe I can get DH enthusiastic about the little sprouts.

seagrass

Here is a link that might be useful: Yummy dressing for the little sprouts