Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

RECIPE: Onion Soup Fondue

annova914
12 years ago

I just made this last night. We loved it! I use low sodium beef broth (Swansons) and the Better Than Bouillon brands beef and chicken base which IMO helps keep the over-saltiness out of the soup. You can then add back any salt you desire. I put the pot in the refrigerator overnight. Loved removing the fat that was sitting on top of the soup the next morning ;>)

Onion Soup Fondue

1 to 1.5 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter

3.5 to 4 large Vidalia-type sweet onions, thinly sliced

1 quart low sodium beef broth

1 qt water heated w/ 3 tsps Better than Bouillon brand beef base

1 tsp chicken base (Better Than Bouillon brand)

Black pepper - a few shakes

Small clove garlic, sliced (for easy removal)

2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce

1 tsp Beau Monde

Large pinch of brown sugar (if desired)

French bread, sliced 1" thick

Emmenthaler and/or Gruyere cheese, sliced

In large kettle, melt butter and saute onions until transparent. Add beef broths and chicken base, pepper, garlic, soy sauce and Beau Monde (and brown sugar if desired). Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and allow to stand overnight (in fridge).

The next day, remove the fat from surface. Reheat and check seasonings.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly toast slices of bread. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Place bread on top of each bowl and top with several slices of cheese to cover opening of bowls. Place in oven and bake until cheese melts. Serves 5-6.

Source: Adapted from recipe found at Gail's Recipe Swap posted by "cheezz" who added her own changes to a Hamburger Hamlet Onion Soup Fondue recipe. I've also made changes. You can add a little white wine if desired while onions are being sauteed. I added brown sugar as I prefer onion soup to be a bit sweet. This is delicious and much like French onion soups served in brasseries and bistros. I used slices of Emmenthaler along with some shredded Gruyere. Also used Wegman's sliced Pane which fit the opening of my soup bowls.