Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rottenlivia

recipe: need this recipe asap please!!??

rottenlivia
16 years ago

Hello out there!!

I am looking for a recipe from the book American Encyclopaedia of Cooking. It's called Bavarian Pot Roast.

Yes, I have made it many times before but need to see the recipe myself as it's been awhile. I am making this for good friends for a pot luck on Saturday. This wonderful roast has Apple Cider, Cinnamon, Tomatoes and Mushrooms. What I remember most distinctly is the scent that absolutely fills the house. No lie, you can smell it when you get near the sidewalk and it lures you to the door. Windows shut too. Please, someone out there must have this book. I will be most grateful. Must cook early Saturday. Someone always comes through.

Thanks, Kim

Comments (14)

• annova914
    16 years ago

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bavarian-Pot-Roast/Detail.aspx
    I found this at Allrecipes. It might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's a start (read the reviews from people who made the dish and tried different things). You might also want to do a google search with Bavarian Pot Roast - you'll probably get a lot of recipes :) Good luck!

• shambo
    16 years ago

Your description intrigued me, so I looked for the recipe and found this one from Taste of Home. It has all the ingredients you remembered -- cinnamon, apples juice, tomato, & even mushrooms. Could this be it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bavarian Pot Roast

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

Morning Kim,
    I think this is the one you are looking for. It's out of my American Cooking Encyclopedia cookbook.

Bavarian Pot Roast

1 5lb chuck roast
    1 TBS cinnamon
    1 TBS vinegar
    2 tsp ginger
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cup apple juice
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup sliced mushrooms

Brown roast on all sides in oil in dutch oven. Combine cinnamon, vinegar, ginger and salt; add one cup water, apple juice, tomato sauce, onion and bay leaf. Place roast in dutch oven. Pour over tomato sauce mixture. Simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until tender. Remove bay leaf. Combine flour and 1/2 cup water to make paste. Add to tomato mixture gradually, stirring constantly until thickened. Add mushrooms to gravy. Serve gravy over roast slices.
    Yield:8-12 servings NancyLouise

• rottenlivia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all the help!! All sound great but Nancy Louise is THE one. The only diff I make is to use Apple Cider instead of juice and I use Cider Vinegar. In a pinch I have used a large fresh tomato or two instead of sauce. This is a divine recipe, truly. I am writing this down on the inside cover of my TimeLife Beef cook book. Remember that whole series they published in the 80's? Called The Good Cook. I still have the one's titled Beef and Veal, Lamb, Vegetables, Fish, Shellfish. Faithful standby's. Hope one of you will try this recipe. I have found that with left overs we like to shred the meat, add some fresh sauteed mushrooms and put it over egg noodles a day or two later. The gravy from it is just sooo good.
    Thanks, Kim

• annova914
    16 years ago

This does sound good - especially with egg noodles. I'll certainly make this. Thanks!

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

I am certainly going to make this one as well..thanks!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

This sounds delicious! I think it would work well in a pressure cooker too. Don't think I could get a 5 lb. roast in my 4 qt. SS Presto, but I can get a 3 lb. roast and just use slightly less ingredients.

Don't forget to use the correct amount of liquid called for in your cooker's manual.

Teresa

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

This recipe does sound good, and finding yummy ways to use the leftovers is always a good thing.
    I should use this cookbook more often. It is a thick book, recipes listed in alphabetical order. Very easy to follow.I think it came out in the early 80's. Kim, I thought I was the only one that even heard of this book, let alone owned one! NancyLouise

• rottenlivia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi NancyLouise,

I'll tell you, I have never owned the book. My best friend's mom did. I found the recipe back in the mid 90's and not writing it down at that moment, called her the next day and wrote it on the lp jacket of one of the records of my Bruce Springsteen 3 record boxed set. The 80's to 90's collection. :) My life was chaotic with lots of toys around, and it's the first bit of paper found at the moment I needed it. It stayed folded in another recipe book for years and then was lost in a move. While I love a regular Yankee Pot Roast, ohhh there's just somethin' different about the scent of this one. The cider, the vinegar, the mushrooms. Truly, it is a tried and true, never let you down, ta-da recipe. I wrote this down again and have carefully secreted it away and have made copies for my friends. I hope you like it. I hope you all like it.
    Kim

• kimberleygrant1959
    8 years ago

Hi NancyLouise_gw! Its been 7 or so years since you found this recipe for me and you came through again. Its still here. So happy. A true fall recipe. Thank you!

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

What did I do wrong? I made this recipe from this post, and it really didn't work. The "sauce" burned underneath the roast (and I did have the heat as indicated) and pretty much disappeared. The meat itself turned out ok, not great. But there wasn't much sauce left. I really wanted to love this, but it didn't work out that way. I've made sandwiches from the beef and they're ok. Yes, the aroma of the roast during cooking was marvelous. Did you double the sauce part, by any chance?

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

I've not made this, but reading the recipe I wonder if you might have left out the 1 cup of water that is not included in the ingredients, but listed in the directions?

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

Thanks, lizbeth. No, I did include that. Could be that it's "different strokes for different folks", meaning that people like different things, but I was surprised by the lack of sauce.

• irisgal_z9
    8 years ago

I'm glad this popped back up. Shambo's link gave the same recipe with the amount of oil to use in browning..

Suzieque, I wonder if your lid allowed too much steam to escape or if your stove's simmer is hotter than another's? Mine is :-( I have to check liquid status midway. Can't even do decent rice with this stove.