Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: super bowl ideas?

Posted by graanieb (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 18:21

What are you all making for Super Saints Bowl? :)

Need ideas for something in gold.

thanks,
Bea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: super bowl ideas?

Wow, this is tough. Most of what we are doing is all regional type foods, and not color specific. We have thought of gumbo, muffalettas, shrimp boil, crawfish etouffee, dirty rice, Popeye's fried chicken, shrimp creole, jambalaya, WhoDat pizza, etc.

Do you need dessert, appetizer, or is it for a meal?

o

Good ideas, especially Who Dat Pizza! Sounds like Saints Connection from Colorado! :)

Just a small family party, wanting something we don't have to take time off to cook, may be Chicken wing/ettes with sauces, Curry Rice, Potato Salad and Who Dat Pizza...where will you get yours?

About time Saints!

o

Would your local dollar store or party store have Saints plastic party dishes and party favors? I bet everybody wants them if you're in Saints country! I don't have any Saints specific recipes (I'm in NJ LOL) but here's a really good recipe which is perfect for Super Bowl.

PIZZA DIP
(Family Circle Magazine 2009)
Makes about 6 cups
Prep 10 minutes
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
8 ounces sliced pepperoni, chopped
2 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
10 large, pitted black olives, chopped
4 crusty Italian rolls, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the bread and spoon into a 6 cup baking dish.

3. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.

4. Allow to cool slightly and serve with bread pieces for dipping/spreading.

Note I used less pepperoni and more olives

My favorite wing recipe -

Ann T's Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings
I don't measure any of the ingredients. I took the zest off of two lemons, grated three garlic cloves on the microplane, and added quite a bit of fresh black pepper, coarsely ground, sea salt and a splash of olive oil. Rubbed it all over the wings and let them sit while the oven heated up to 450F. Dumped them out on a cookie sheet and roasted until golden, turning once.

chicken wings
lemon
garlic
salt
pepper
olive oil

Another recipe - this one is awesome!

Mikey's Jamaican Jerk Wings
4 Scotch Bonnet Chilies (or any hot pepper, amount depending upon your taste - we use much less than called for!)
1 Bunch Scallions (Both White & Green Part, trimmed and
chopped coarsely
2 Shallots - Halved
1 Small Onion - Quartered
2 Cloves of Peeled Garlic
1 T Grated Fresh Ginger
2 t Chopped Thyme or 1t dried
2 t Ground All Spice
3 T Canola Oil
3 T Soy Sauce
3 T Lime Juice
2 T Packed Brown Sugar
2 T salt
1 t ground black pepper 1 Cup of water
This is enough to marinate 4 pounds of Meat
Combine Chiles. Scallions, Shallots, Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Thyme. All Spice, Oil, Soy, Lime Juice, Sugar, Salt, Pepper, and Water. Blend in a blender until smooth,
Marinate from a few hours to several days and grill til done.
Mike's quick tip, Sprinkle extra Thyme while grilling.

o

Hi Woody, glad to see a familiar face and with great recipes too! I'll be busy forwarding these, thank you very much.
With just a few modification- less salt, mainly.
Everything is pretty much wiped out of the stores, it's okay, as long as the Saints win!
( Sorry Colts fans, start a new thread! ~lol~ )

GB

o

We are going to friends' who have a 70-inch TV. It's always potluck & I'm taking appetizers:

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
Servings: 10

20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 pound thin (regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds

Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise.
With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half.
Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle.
(At this point, you can freeze them, uncooked, in a Ziploc bag for later use).
Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-35 minutes, until slightly crisp.
You dont want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesnt look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.
Serve immediately, or theyre also great at room temperature.
Pioneer Woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/
Be sure to wear plastic goves to keep the jalapenos from burning your skin.

Asparagus with Wasabi-Mayonnaise Dip
6 servings as a side dish

3 pounds thin to medium asparagus, trimmed
1 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons wasbi paste

Blanch asparagus in 2 batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water 1 minute. Transfer to a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry.
Whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and wasabi paste until sugar is dissolved.
Serve asparagus with dip.

Can be prepared one day ahead.

o

We always make "ugly dip" it's kind of gold colored, you serve it with tortilla chips, they are gold~

1 large loaf velveeta or store brand equivalent
1 large jar of salsa (about 16 oz)
1 lb browned ground beef
1 can refried beans
1/8 cup taco seasoning or chili powder

put the meat, salsa and beans and chili powder in the crockpot on high. stir in the taco seasoning and chili powder. Chunk up the velveeta and stir it in. Melt it on high, stirring often till melted, then put the crock pot down on warm. serve with tortilla chips.

Of course we'll be using the BLUE chips! But I'll still share my recipe with you all...

o

Great ideas , not just for me to try, thank you all, I'll post a few of mine soon too.
Might make Blackened Fish ( lately love Halibut )along with who knows what else we'll decide, after all, good food is secondary to great scores, smile.

o

Here are some Louisiana recipes I hope you all like:

SHRIMP DIP

All ingredients in approximate amounts and seasoned to taste.

1 lb shrimp, peeled, boiled, chopped ( or canned)
1 8-oz pkg Cream Cheese -less fat or no fat
1/2 c chopped shallots
2 T lemon juice
1/4 c each light mayonnaise-( olive oil) and sour cream- fat free ( or either one or both in desired proportions)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Hot sauce ( Crystal/ tabasco or other)

in a large bowl, combine all ingredients except shrimp; mix til blended; fold in shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for preferred time. Serve with assorted crackers or/and chips.

Suggestions:
Instead of shrimp use other shellfish, cooked with some liquid crab boil, lemon juice, garlic and onion powder or preferred seasonings.
Firm fish, sliced, can be used instead of shrimp or crab--my idea from about 18 years ago when we no longer had easily available shrimp.

While on the subject, this SIMPLE DIP ( FOR BOILED SHRIMP) is delicious, a must for us.

Mix in approximate amounts:

1 c ketchup
1/2 c olive-oil Mayonnaise ( try part of lite sour cream)
juice of 2 lemons or to taste
2 tsp Dijon mustard or to taste -opt
2 tsp Horseradish or to taste -opt

Blend in a small bowl, serve in individual bowls.

Of course recipes can be multiplied.

more later,
Bea

Carnival and Super Bowl, go Louisiana! Go Saints!!!

o

Mmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking I need some shrimp and your "Simple Dip" for tomorrow!

o

Glad you're thinking about it, Woodie.

Might want to try some of these simple ones:

~~~ CREOLE SHRIMP DIP ~~~

2 c sour cream- fat free -opt
1 14-oz can shrimp, drained ( prefer fresh)
1/2 c cocktail sauce
1/4 c chopped green onions

Combine all ingredients; mix well; chill.
Serve with chips or fresh (steamed) vegetables.

~~~ ONION DIP ~~~

8 oz pkg cream cheese ( fat free-opt)
8 oz container sour cream " "
1/2 c chili sauce
1.5 oz pkg onion soup and dip mix

In a small bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients; mix well; cover and chill.
Stir before serving. Serve with chips or fresh vegetables.

~~~ VEGETABLE DIP ~~~

1 pkg cream cheese ( reduced fat or fat-free, opt)
1 c sour cream " "
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 pkts Vegetable soup/dip mix

Mix cheese, sour cream and mustard with electric mixer until well-blended. Stir in soup/dip mix. Cover and refrigerated at least 2 hours.

Imagine Cocktail and/or Chili Sauce would be good in Shrimp Dip or any of these.

Making potato salad, 5 eggs -using just 1 eggyolk, here comes my daughter...all that writing, what's for lunch? lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here