Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: tomatoes too!

san_
17 years ago

cooked or raw,, soup or salad--please tell me how you like to fix a dish with tomatoes in the predominant role! i've posted this because not only is it good but it works great even with "winter tomatoes"--

SHERRY CHERRY TOMATOES woodie

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Show: 30 Minute Meals

Recipe Summary

Difficulty: Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan

3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 pint cherry tomatoes

2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or dry sherry wine

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and onions. Sweat them out 2 to 3 minutes then add cherry tomatoes. Turn tomatoes to coat in fat. Add sherry vinegar or sherry, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Toss to coat tomatoes and roast for 18 to 20 minutes.

we don't eat many cold tomato dishes in the midst of winter but sometimes you've just gotta have something that reminds you of the treats you can find in the summer season! this is simple and good!

Tomato, Mint and Red Onion Salad

30 cherry tomatoes

small red onion, finely chopped

handful of fresh mint, finely chopped

3 T olive oil

juice of 1 lemon

some lemon zest

salt and pepper, to taste

Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange on a large plate or shallow bowl. Sprinkle the onion and mint over the tomatoes and drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice. Add the lemon zest on top and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Comments (7)

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

These are recipe I make when fresh tomatoes are plentiful, as well as other garden produce like zucchini, green onions, bell peppers and cucumbers. I love all these recipes for light, meatless lunches. Add some good cheese and fresh fruit - YUMMMMM! Most of these recipe I only make 1/2 recipes for two of us.

-Grainlady

ZUCCHINI CAPONATA

1 T. olive oil
    1 c. chopped onions
    1/2 c. sliced celery
    1/4 c. chopped yellow bell pepper
    1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
    3 c. cubed zucchini (use small ones, or seed large ones - leave the skin)
    2 c. seeded, chopped tomatoes
    2 T. chopped fresh basil OR 2 t. dried basil leaves
    salt and pepper, to taste
    2 T. lemon juice
    1/2 c. small pitted ripe olives (whole or sliced)

Heat oil in heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, celery and peppers. Cook and stir 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients.

Refrigerate 8-12 hours or overnight. Serve with pita bread wedges. Makes 4 cups.
    --------------

TABBOULEH TOMATO SALAD

1/2 c. uncooked bulgur
    1 c. boiling water
    2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1 c. chopped cucumber
    3/4 c. chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1/2 c. sliced green onions
    1/4 c. chopped fresh mint
    2 T. fresh lemon juice
    2 T. olive or vegetable oil
    1/4 t. salt
    fresh-ground pepper

1. Place bulgur in medium bowl; add boiling water. Let stand 1 hour or until bulgur is tender. Drain well.

2. In large bowl, combine bulgur and all remaining ingredients; mix gently to coat. Serve immeciately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time.

6 (2/3-cup) servings.
    ----------------------

MACARONI WITH MARINATED TOMATOES

2 c. seeded and chopped tomatoes
    2 green onions (with tops), chopped
    1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
    2 T. olive or vegetable oil
    2 t. chopped fresh or 1/2 t. dried basil leaves
    1/2 t. salt
    1/8 t. coarsely cracked pepper
    1 package (7 ounces) macaroni shells

Mix all ingredients except macaroni shells. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain. Immediately toss with the tomato mixture.

6 servings
    ----------------

GARDEN FRESH MACARONI SALAD

4 ounces uncooked macaroni pasta
    2-1/2 c. chopped, seeded tomatoes
    1 c. finely chopped red onion
    1 c. finely chopped cucumber
    1/2 c. finely chopped celery
    1/2 c. finely chopped red bell pepper
    2 T. finely chopped black olives
    3 T. cider vinegar (I also like to use Balsamic vinegar.)
    1 bay leaf
    2 T. minced fresh parsley OR 1 t. dried parsley, crushed
    1 T. fresh thume leaves OR 1/2 t. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3-4 dashes hot pepper sauce
    1/4 t. ground black pepper

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and rinse well under cold water until pasta is cool; drain well.

2. Combine pasta and remaining ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours for flavors to blend. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Makes 6 (1-cup) servings
    -------------

TOMATO CUCUMBER SALAD

1 medium tomato, peeled
    1 small cucumber, peeled, sliced
    2 T. chopped green onions (including tops)
    1/3 c. oil
    2 T. red wine vinegar
    1 T. chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 t. garlic salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    Salad greens
    Sliced black olives, if desired

Cut tomatoes into 8 wedges; remove and discard seeds. In small bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onions. Combine oil, vinegar, parsley, garlic salt and pepper in blender container or jar with screw-top lid; blend well. Pour dressing over vegetables. Cover; chill 2 hours or up to 48 hours. Serve tossed with salad greens and garnished with black olives OR serve alone on a lettuce leaf.

4 (1/2-cup) servings

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

I don't buy fresh tomatoes in the winter but I do like to make these:

TOMATO PUDDING

2 (1 lb.) cans stewed tomatoes
    1 medium onion, halved and slivered
    1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
    2 Tbsp. water
    1 cup Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned stuffing mix

In saucepan, cook tomatoes, onion, sugar, and 1 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced by half 10 to 15 minutes. Pour into 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Melt other tablespoon of butter with water; stir in stuffing mix. Spread topping over tomatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until tomatoes are heated and topping is golden. Note: Dry bread cubes can be substituted for the stuffing mix. The tomato-onion mixture can be prepared ahead of time. Just dont add the topping until ready to bake.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

San, you're killing me - what I wouldn't do for a good home grown tomato about now in the middle of winter :)

I only make tomatoes in different recipes after I am thoroughly sick of my favorites - a tomato sandwich (on white bread with mayo), insalata caprese, and tomato bruschetta.

I have to try those sherried tomatoes - I know that you and Woodie give them a big thumbs up.
    Grainlady - I love tomatoes with pasta, I've copied all your recipes.
    Ruthanna - my fresh tomato bake is similar to your pudding recipe - but yours sounds great for right now or anytime that fresh aren't available - now I have a craving :)

------------------------------------------------------------

Tomatoes Rockefeller

1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 (10 oz) pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    dash worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp thyme
    salt and pepper to taste
    6 thick tomato slices

Saute onions in butter until almost soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
    Combine spinach, sauteed onions and garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, worcestershire, and seasonings.
    Arrange tomato slices in a buttered baking dish. Divide spinach mixture evenly and spoon on top of tomato slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    4-6 servings

------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh Tomato Bake
    Source: Too Many Tomatoes

8 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp dry mustard

2 T butter
    2 large onions, sliced

2 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
    6 T butter, melted

1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Toss tomatoes with salt, pepper, sugar and mustard, mix well, set aside.
    Saute onions in 2 T butter for 5 minutes.
    Combine breadcrumbs and 6 T butter.
    In a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole, layer tomatoes, onions, then crumbs. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
    Sprinkle with cheese, bake 5 minutes more.
    Serves 6

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

Ditto what cindy said about craving a fresh vine ripened tomato right about now.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

Ruthanna - I meant that I have a craving for your casserole too :)

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Not a recipe as such, but when I have a glut of home-grown tomatoes, I indulge in this! Simply cook up some tomatoes (and maybe some chopped onion in it), seasoned with a little pepper (I don't use salt), and sweetened with a pinch or two of sugar, then gently poach an egg or two in it. Serve on toast.

Another very easy way to serve tomatoes is simply to slice them into rounds, and arrange the slices alternatively with cucumber slices. The really old-fashioned way was then to sprinkle the lot with vinegar and serve, but I prefer just to sprinkle minced fresh basil (or coriander or parsley or chives or a combination) over them. Looks good, tastes good, and very little effort.

And I just adore Tomato Jam (I add passionfruit to mine)! Any ripe tomato will do, no matter what the recipe says.

Tomato Jam
    2 1/2 kg red or yellow egg-shaped tomatoes
    2 1/2 kg white sugar
    3 lemons

Cover tomatoes with sugar and leave overnight. Next morning, strain off liquid, bring to the boil and skim. Add the tomatoes and boil slowly for 30 minutes. Remove the tomatoes, and continue boiling the syrup till it is thick, then add the juice of the lemons. (If desired, the lemons can be sliced and boiled with the tomatoes.) Spoon tomatoes into jars, pour syrup over till brimming full, and seal immediately. If desired, the pulp of several passionfruit can be added to the mixture.

Tomato Cheese Frittata
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
    8 eggs
    2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Melt butter in 23cm frypan with ovenproof handle. Saute onion until clear. Add tomatoes. Beat eggs with seasoned salt, oregano and milk. Stir in cheese and parsley. Pour into pan and bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until set. Serve immediately.

• san_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i had never even heard of tomato jam until daisy sent me some and i found it to be surprisingly tasty stuff! and i'm sure there's nothing not to like about a tomato cheese frittata, either! tomatoes and cukes are a match made in heaven--pity it will be months before i have a decent tomato to eat...

except in a marinara or sliced on top of a pizza, ted really doesn't care for cooked tomatoes. however, you guys gave me a craving, which i indulged last night. thanx cindy--i really enjoyed the tomatoes rockefeller. it was a great side with some meatloaf and quite bright and actually rather pretty! ted liked the spinach and i got extra tomatoes :)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms