Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindainflorida

LOOKING for: fresh lemons

lindainflorida
12 years ago

i have been here almost all day, looking at recipes, photos

of your dinners,,,darn it...can (may) i come and visit??

i have been cooking since i was 11 years old.....but being alone, i just don't cook like i use to. oh, i don't like opening cans, and i use fresh, but it still isn't the same...anyway, i have 14 HUGE fresh lemons from a friends tree..please help me with some ideas how to use them up, before they go bad...i mean huge, i will juice some of them. but i still need ideas and recipes...this is without the greatest dot com on the who internet...love ya all

Linda

Comments (6)

• carol_in_california
    12 years ago

Here is my very favorite lemon recipe.....
    Lemon Brownies recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use 9X13 inch pan.
    Brownies
    1.5 cups flour
    1.5 cups sugar
    1 cup real butter- room temperature
    4 eggs- room temperature
    juice from half a lemon....I use over 1/4 cup
    zest from one lemon
    (1 tsp. baking powder) I use it but can be left out.

Glaze
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice and zest as desired. I use lots.

Grease and flour pan.
    Put dry ingredients into a bowl. Add butter and mix. ( I use food processor and just pulse it a few times.)
    Stir together eggs, juice and zest and stir into batter. ( I use food processor for this, too.) I don't over mix it.
    Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
    Original recipes call for cooling the brownies before mixing up glaze but I mix it up after removing from oven and add mixed glaze while still very warm.
    I am fortunate to have a huge, very productive lemon tree in our yard.
    I sometimes zest some lemon rinds and let them air dry.....and I keep some lemon juice in the freezer for when I am too lazy to go and pick some.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    12 years ago

QUICK SHRIMP SCAMPI

1/3 cup butter or margarine (I use 1/2 cup)
    2 green onions, sliced
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (I half my shrimp)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    12 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked (I use about 8 oz.)

Preparation
    Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add green onions, minced garlic, lemon rind, lemon juice, and salt; cook garlic mixture 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly.
    Reduce heat to medium; add shrimp, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley and hot sauce. Toss with hot pasta.
    Prep: 10 min., Cook: 8 min.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

This is one of the best pies I've ever had, made with sliced fresh lemons.

You can also make lemon curd and keep it refrigerated or water bath can it. There is an approved canning technique here.
    Canned Lemon Curd

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh whole lemon pie

• krissie55
    11 years ago

Juice the lemons and freeze in snack size plastic bags.

Place snack size bags on cookie sheets and freeze.

Store the frozen snack size bags of lemon juice in a larger freezer bag in the freezer.

Enjoy fresh frozen lemon juice for future recipes or break off a piece for ice tea, etc.

You can also freeze the whole lemons in zip lock bags and at a later date thaw and juice.

I did this with a large bag of lemons and was amazed how easy it was to juice the thawed frozen lemon. Juice was as fresh as before being frozen.

• bledulka
    11 years ago

Freeze the juice in icecube trays, when frozen pack the cubes in snaplock bags & keep in freezer. I also do it with tomato paste instead of left over jars going mouldy.

• Lars
    11 years ago

I get lots of lemons seasonally, and like Krissie, I put them in zip lock bags and freeze them whole. If I want to zest them later, I do that while they are still frozen, and they thaw quickly for juicing.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors