Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Muffin Toppings

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 17:40

Recently I enjoyed one of the best muffins ever! It was a cranberry muffin with some marvelous light topping that had an orange flavor. Any toppings you care to share would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Muffin Toppings

I love to add orange/orange-flavored products from King Arthur to muffins and other quick breads and yeast breads; and they could also be added to toppings. European Orange Zest and European Candied Orange Peel, and a WONDERFUL orange/vanilla flavoring - Fiori di Sicillia. I love these so much I created a sourdough bread that uses all of them.

A Crumbcake-like topping (you could add 1 t. orange zest or orange flavoring):
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/3 c. firmly packed light-brown sugar
1/4 t. ground cinnamon

Coffee Cake-style -
1/2 c. unsweetened ground coconut (fine shred - available at most health food stores)
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans.)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. grated orange rind

Place 2 T. batter in each muffin cup. Divide the topping mixture in half. Place half over the 2 T. layer, finish filling the muffin cups. Then sprinkle the other half on the top of the muffins.

CITRUS HONEY GLAZE (I use this on orange poppy seed muffins.)
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. honey (I use agave nectar.)
1/2 t. grated lemon or orange rind

1. Dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice.
2. Combine the mixture with the honey and citrus rind in a small saucepan.
3. Heat until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat.
4. Cook until the glaze thickens and clears, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat.
6. After cooling muffins and removing from the tins, glaze the top of each muffin individually.

-Grainlady

o

My, that coffee cake sounds great and I have the Fiori de Sicillia as well as the Agave nectar.Thanks.
RL`

o

If you like cranberry/orange flavor, I hope you'll try the muffins below which are a bit different & very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Upside Down Muffins

o

"I love to add orange/orange-flavored products from King Arthur to muffins ...toppings. European Orange Zest and European Candied Orange Peel, and a WONDERFUL orange/vanilla flavoring - Fiori di Sicillia"

Oh, those sound good! Where do you find these?

o

linnea,
the only place I have seen where you can order the Fiori is King Arthur's.
RL`

o

Many thanks for all suggestions.

o

Oh-- these sound so good--thx Ladies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here