Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Parmesan Infused Olive Oil

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 17:39

I'm intrigued by a salad dressing recipe that was posted on the cooking forum, but I've never seen "Parmesan Infused Olive Oil" - has anybody else? Maybe I haven't seen it because I haven't looked for it, but I'm wondering if it's something I can make myself with those leftover rinds that seem to accumulate. I briefly toyed with the idea of posting there, but it's kind of turned into a discussion of copyrights, etc. so I thought I'd leave all that behind and ask here. Anybody have a recipe or any ideas...?

Becky
Lompoc, CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Parmesan Infused Olive Oil

I didn't do a thorough search, but I found a post at Chow Hound where someone said the restaurant they worked at would fill a large jar with parmesan cheese rind and then pour over a good oil. Cover and let steep for a couple days.

Here is a recipe that I found at abc.net.au:

Parmesan Oil

Degree of difficulty: Low
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
You need:

500gm left-over parmesan rinds
3 cups canola oil (vegetable oil, or a blend of canola & olive oil*)
Method:

Place parmesan rinds and oil in a heavy-based pot over very low heat for about 8 hours. Allow to cool. Strain through a fine sieve (muslin cloth), pour into a sterilised jar and seal.

*the olive oil has a stronger, fruity flavour that might overpower the flavour of the infused oil

o

The recipe source for the salad dressing explained in her blog that she makes Parmesan infused oil by placing rinds from the cheese into a bottle of quality olive oil. She says that after about a month the oil takes on the aroma (and probably taste, as well) of the Parmesan.

o

You could also place the rinds into a Ball canning jar with olive oil and place in a hot water bath or pressure canner.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here