Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: looking for: cooked salsa recipes

Posted by gardendoc (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 17:18

Hello all -

I'm looking for a cooked salsa recipe, similar to the bottled ones that are sold in the groceries. I want to make my own so I can flavor it to my preference - I would like something spicier and with more impact coming from cumin.

I have recipes for fresh (uncooked) tomato salsa, but I would like something cooked this time so I can bottle and preserve the salsa.

Thank you!

G'doc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for: cooked salsa recipes

Here's the very best salsa recipe I've ever tried. If you do a GW search for Annie's Salsa you will see many threads on it.

Please note the two different measurements of vinegar, necessary depending on the method you want to use for canning. You can add more heat by adding more hot peppers, just remember to decrease the amount of green pepper by the same volume to keep it safe for canning.

ANNIES SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.
Makes 6 pints

Nancy

o

You can't go wrong with Annie's salsa recipe! I make it every summer so I have enough to last through the winter!

Linda

o

Another fan of Annie's salsa. I'm afraid I may run out before summer, so I've been mixing it with peach salsa (Katie's??) to make it last.

o

Word of warning: be sure and use the deep red more acidic tomatoes for salsa or risk it spoiling very quick.

You got it, I learned the hard way.

Hated to toss out all my hard work, but, did learn a hard lesson.

o
Thank you, Annie!

Thanks Nancy! Sorry for not responding right away. I'll try it for our little Easter get-together. I was wondering what other fruits I can pop into this salsa recipe? I'm from Asia and we are quite fond of using raw tart mangoes as relish. Raw or pickled. I wonder how it would taste in this salsa. Tomatillos are not available here.

For our first attempt, we'll try the recipe straight up, no variations, and then start doodling with it on the succeeding attempts, when we are more confident.

Thanks again, Nancy, and to all the others who responded!

o

Regarding this Recipe... What kind of vinegar do I use? is Apple Cider fine?

Thanks again!

G'doc

ANNIES SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.
Makes 6 pints

Nancy

o

I love this idea and theme and have to use its interesting for me and i have to use it. Culinary Schools : Culinary Schools California its marvelous. but right now i am doing my mcse and hunt a job to establish my career, i suggest you to do the same may be your career lies in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Cooking Schools Information

o

Here's a recipe I have been using for years. Enjoy!

Salsa

13 skinned and chopped tomatoes
2 green peppers chopped
2 jalapenos chopped - or more
2 onions chopped
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
2 T salt
4 t vinegar
12 oz tomato paste
1/8 t garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and simmer 3-4 hours. Can or freeze, makes about 3 pints.

o

Nancy, that salsa recipe is mine, and since it came back up, I'll answer the question for any future posters.

I use apple cider vinegar because I like that flavor, but you can use any vinegar that's at least 5% acidity.

Now the USDA is going to change the rules for acidity in salsa, so I'm probably going to up the vinegar amount in future incarnations of that recipe.

Annie

o

I love salsa!! I'm going to have to try to make some of that Annie's Salsa. It sounds great!

o

I'm looking for a tomato/peach salsa recipe, like Newman's own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here