Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojitoguy

RECIPE: looking for: cooked salsa recipes

gardendoc
16 years ago

Hello all -

I'm looking for a cooked salsa recipe, similar to the bottled ones that are sold in the groceries. I want to make my own so I can flavor it to my preference - I would like something spicier and with more impact coming from cumin.

I have recipes for fresh (uncooked) tomato salsa, but I would like something cooked this time so I can bottle and preserve the salsa.

Thank you!

G'doc

Comments (11)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Here's the very best salsa recipe I've ever tried. If you do a GW search for Annie's Salsa you will see many threads on it.

Please note the two different measurements of vinegar, necessary depending on the method you want to use for canning. You can add more heat by adding more hot peppers, just remember to decrease the amount of green pepper by the same volume to keep it safe for canning.

ANNIEÂS SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 Â 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.
    Makes 6 pints

Nancy

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

You can't go wrong with Annie's salsa recipe! I make it every summer so I have enough to last through the winter!

Linda

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

Another fan of Annie's salsa. I'm afraid I may run out before summer, so I've been mixing it with peach salsa (Katie's??) to make it last.

• krissie55
    16 years ago

Word of warning: be sure and use the deep red more acidic tomatoes for salsa or risk it spoiling very quick.

You got it, I learned the hard way.

Hated to toss out all my hard work, but, did learn a hard lesson.

• gardendoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Nancy! Sorry for not responding right away. I'll try it for our little Easter get-together. I was wondering what other fruits I can pop into this salsa recipe? I'm from Asia and we are quite fond of using raw tart mangoes as relish. Raw or pickled. I wonder how it would taste in this salsa. Tomatillos are not available here.

For our first attempt, we'll try the recipe straight up, no variations, and then start doodling with it on the succeeding attempts, when we are more confident.

Thanks again, Nancy, and to all the others who responded!

• gardendoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Regarding this Recipe... What kind of vinegar do I use? is Apple Cider fine?

Thanks again!

G'doc

ANNIEÂS SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 Â 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.
    Makes 6 pints

Nancy

• david222
    13 years ago

I love this idea and theme and have to use its interesting for me and i have to use it. Culinary Schools : Culinary Schools California its marvelous. but right now i am doing my mcse and hunt a job to establish my career, i suggest you to do the same may be your career lies in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Cooking Schools Information

• stacey528
    13 years ago

Here's a recipe I have been using for years. Enjoy!

Salsa

13 skinned and chopped tomatoes
    2 green peppers chopped
    2 jalapenos chopped - or more
    2 onions chopped
    1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
    2 T salt
    4 t vinegar
    12 oz tomato paste
    1/8 t garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and simmer 3-4 hours. Can or freeze, makes about 3 pints.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Nancy, that salsa recipe is mine, and since it came back up, I'll answer the question for any future posters.

I use apple cider vinegar because I like that flavor, but you can use any vinegar that's at least 5% acidity.

Now the USDA is going to change the rules for acidity in salsa, so I'm probably going to up the vinegar amount in future incarnations of that recipe.

Annie

• claire44
    13 years ago

I love salsa!! I'm going to have to try to make some of that Annie's Salsa. It sounds great!

• maryellen48130
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a tomato/peach salsa recipe, like Newman's own.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH