Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Chocolate Cake (light!)

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 16:59

I found this cake at MyRecipe.com, liked the fact that I had all the ingredients & could make it in a 9" round cake pan. It was moist, dense & has very good flavor. I only had 1/4 cup of Hershey's regular cocoa so I added 1/4 cup Hershey's Dutch Process cocoa to it. Didn't have espresso granules (& didn't need it as it turned out :) Alice Medrich is very good at creating light desserts that taste very good. Of course I got carried away and made some buttercream frosting which really made it tasty. Ann

Chocolate Bundt Cake
A 6-cup Bundt pan is smaller than the standard size. You can also use a 9" round cake pan.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk (I use 2%)
2 teaspoons instant espresso granules (didnt have)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add butter, egg whites, and egg; beat with a mixer at low speed 1 minute. Beat at high speed 1 minute. Add milk, espresso granules, and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Pour batter into a 6-cup Bundt (or 9" cake)pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
source: MyRecipe.com-Cooking Light, Jan. 2002 Alice Medrich

CALORIES 192 (28% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 3.5g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.3g); IRON 1.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 34mg; CALCIUM 27mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.8g; SODIUM 225mg; PROTEIN 4g; FIBER 1.8g

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Chocolate Cake (light!)

I'd put a dollop of whipped cram on top. :) Thanks for posting it! Those would be pretty small slices to serve 10, wouldn't they?

o
RE: RECIPE: Chocolate Cake (light!)

Heh heh...now you know after I put that buttercream frosting on this "light" cake that the slices were not exactly measured! The thing with Alice Medrich's wonderful "light" creations is that they're delicious and I don't care about the caloric content - it's just very good cake or brownies or whatever and we sure do enjoy them. *But*...it is possible to be well disciplined and cut oneself a very thin slice :) ~sigh~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here