Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spencersmom_gw

RECIPE: Dog Biscuits

spencersmom
15 years ago

Hello! I know this is unconventional but our canine friends need recipes too. I found this recipe and the biscuits turn out great. I shared them with the neighborhood and people said their dogs loved them and they really appreciated it. These are so easy too..

2 3/4 c. whole wheat flour

1/2 c. powdered milk

1 tsp salt

1 egg

6 Tbs vegetable oil

8-10 Tbs water

2 small jars (about 2.5 oz each) baby food (beef, chicken or whatever)

Preheat oven to 350 and mix all ingredients in large bowl. Knead about 3 min and roll out to 1/2 thick. I lightly flour my surface. Cut out with a bone shaped cookie cutter and bake for about 20-25 minutes. I know that sounds like a long time, but they need to be crisp.

Yield is about 2 doz.

One thing I like to do is get those clear candy bags from the craft store and some ribbon. I put some treats in the bag and tie it off with a cute bow. Then I give to my neighbors and say Spencer made them. Not only does Spencer lack opposable thumbs, but I'm sure he would prefer ALL the treats stay here.

On a scale of two, Spencer gives this two paws up.

Enjoy, Erin.

Comments (4)

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

Here's another nice dog biscuit recipe that I have made a number of times. My Golden loves them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter Doggie Bites

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup oil
    2 Whole eggs
    1/4 cup Peanut butter -- Crunchy or Smooth
    2 TBSP Vanilla
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    3/4 cup Rolled oats -- Uncooked

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In medium bowl, mix together water, oil, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla.

In bowl of electric mixer, combine whole wheat and all purpose flour, cornmeal and oats. Add peanut butter. Beat until smooth.

Roll dough into ball and place on sheet of floured waxed paper. Roll dough 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.

Cut with dog/biscuit shaped cutter.

Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Leave in unopened oven, 1 hour.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

These are all from Word of Mouth, friends of Humane Society of Knox County, Rockland, Maine.
    CHASE'S CHEESE BONES (about 3 dozen)
    2 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups shredded cheese (your choice)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    Approximately 1/4 cup water, more or less
    Preheat oven to 400°. Combine the flour, cheese, garlic & oil. Add water if necessary to form a stiff dough & knead well. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2" thick & cut into shapes. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheed for 10-15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.~~ (I use parchment paper on the baking sheets when I bake these.

RUMPOLE'S ROCKS; A DOGGONE GOOD SNACK (makes about 30)
    3 cups oatmeal
    3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1/2 cup bacon grease or leftover fat
    2 eggs
    2 tsp cod-liver oil
    1 1/2 cups canned beef or chicken gravy

Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all the above ingredients & drop the mixture by spoonfulls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes & cool the rocks on wire racks in a safe place. Store in a covered container.~~

NELLIE'S RYE CRISPS (makes 24 crackers)
    2 cups rye flour
    1/4 cup wheat flour
    1/4 cup corn meal
    6 TBL vegetable oil
    2/3 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the dry ingredients & then stir in the oil & warm water. Form the mixture into a ball & then pat or roll it out to 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes & bake on a greased cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes.~~You can also make this with all whole wheat flour or 1/2 rye, 1/2 whole wheat.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Thanks Erin and Tom and Ginger for some new recipes. Not at all unconventional in my house! I make biscuits for some 4 legged friends of mine and I have used Lee's recipes with success -

DOUBLE GINGER DOG BISCUITS

2 ½ c Whole wheat flour
    ½ c powdered milk
    ½ t salt
    ½ c butter
    1 T sugar
    2 T ground ginger
    3 T chopped crystallized ginger
    1 egg
    ½ c water

Put first seven ingredients into food processor, pulse until mixture looks like cornmeal. Add egg and water, process until dough forms a ball (you may need a little more water).

Roll to 1/3 Â 1/2 inch thick on floured board, cut to desired shapes, gather together and re-roll scraps. Place on cookie sheet with non stick foil on it or spray sheet with Pam.

Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes until firm and dried out. For biscuits to keep well they must be baked until dry and hard. You can also leave them overnight in the oven with door ajar to dry out further.

BACON CHEDDAR BISCUITS

2 c Whole wheat flour
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    ½ c bacon fat
    2 c shredded cheddar cheese
    4 strips cooked bacon cut in small pieces
    1 egg
    1 c milk

Put first three ingredients into food processor, pulse until mixture looks like cornmeal. Add remaining ingredients and process until dough forms a ball.

Roll to 1/3 Â 1/2 inch thick on floured board, cut to desired shapes, gather together and re-roll scraps. Place on cookie sheet with non stick foil on it or spray sheet with Pam.

Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes until firm and dried out. For biscuits to keep well they must be baked until dry and hard. You can also leave them overnight in the oven with door ajar to dry out further

• spencersmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, these sound great! Looks like Spencer will be getting more treats!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County