Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Cioppino

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 6, 07 at 16:46

My DH went on a dive trip over the weekend, and came home with a big lobster, a couple of crabs and a bunch of rockfish. So we made cioppino, and it was good enough to share the recipe :-)

I adapted this recipe from one at allrecipes.com - have left the seafood as they called for it, but I think you can use just about anything that's fresh. We steamed the crabs and lobster tail, then added the meat to the stew. I bought some shrimp and put it in with the rockfish. I don't like mussels, so I was just as happy to leave those out.

Enjoy -

Becky
Lompoc, CA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cioppino

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 onions -- chopped
5 cloves garlic -- pressed
1 bunch fresh parsley -- chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes -- 28 ounces
2 cans chicken broth -- (14.5 ounce)
1 can tomato sauce -- 8 ounces
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp - peeled and deveined
1 1/2 pounds bay scallops
18 small clams
18 mussels -- cleaned and debearded
1 1/2 cups crabmeat
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets -- cubed

1. Over medium-low heat melt butter and oil in a large stockpot, add onions. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft. Add garlic for a couple of minutes to soften.
2. Add tomatoes to the pot. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, and wine. Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and crabmeat. Stir in fish, if desired. Bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Cioppino

Becky, I love Cioppino (Seafood Stew) and your recipe is similar to mine, the white wine is a must isn't it? I add a bottle of clam juice and I love salmon or halibut in it too.
This makes a perfect Winter meal with the warm, crusty bread like you say. I served it for company once and they went nuts for it.

Marilyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here