Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlhealdquilter

LOOKING for: Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish)

dlhealdquilter
17 years ago

At a recent craft show, I purchased a jar of Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish) that was to die for. According to the label, it contains Red Bell Peppers, Sugar, Vinegar, Pepper Spice and Salt. Yes, I can order/obtain more from the vendor that I purchased this from, but heck, if someone out there has the recipe that they are willing to share, I would love to make my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (2)

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

This recipe is sweet rather than hot. The picture is a batch I made this summer.

PENNSYLVANIA SWEET PEPPER RELISH

12 large red peppers
    3 Tbs. salt
    6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
    2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 Tbs. mixed pickling spices

Have, seed, and chop peppers. (You should have about 9 cups.) Layer with salt in a large glass bowl. Allow to stand at room temperature, stirring several times, 3 hours. Drain peppers well to remove all liquid. (best to squeeze out moisture with your hands)

Combine drained peppers, tomatoes and onions in a large kettle  not aluminum.; stir in sugar and vinegar. Tie spices in cheesecloth and crack with a hammer. Add bag to kettle.

Bring to boiling, stirring often. Lower heat; simmer 30 to 90 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently near the end of cooking time to prevent scorching. Time will depend on juiciness of tomatoes but you want it nice and thick. Remove spice bag. Ladle into sterilized jars (1/2" head space) and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 (8 oz.) jars.

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

Here are a couple that I found that may be like what you are looking for, at least the ingredients look similar.

Sweet red pepper relish
    Categories: Relish
    Yield: 1 servings
    4 Very lge. red peppers,>>>>
    Seeded & chopped (4 cups)
    2 tablespoon Coarse (kosher) salt
    1 ½ cup White wine vinegar
    2 ½ cup Sugar
    1 teaspoon Mustard seeds, slightly>>>>
    Crushed OR>>>>>>>>>
    ¼ teaspoon Fennel seeds
    Mix chopped red peppers and salt and let stand overnight in a ceramic, stainless-steel or enameled container, refrigerated. Drain off and discard the liquid and put the peppers into a stainless or enameled pot with the vinegar, sugar and mustard (or fennel) seeds. Bring to boil, then lower heat to med. and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are translucent and the relish is the consistency of marmalade, but syrupy. (If relish begins to thicken too much before the peppers are translucent, cover pot and lower heat for a few minutes while the peppers complete the necessary cooking without too much evaporation.) Don't overcook, or a too-stiff relish will result. Prepare 4 half-pint canning jars with 2 pc. screw-on lids, and ladle relish into each, leaving 1/2" headroom. Process in boiling water to cover jars by 2" for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Ready for use immediately.

Here is another one but with out the spices

time to make 1½ hours 30 min prep
    Change to: 8 oz. jars US Metric
    6 large red bell peppers
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon salt

Not the one? See other Sweet Red Pepper Relish/Spread Recipes

* Water Bath Spreads
    * Low Protein Spreads
    * Peppers Spreads
    * Dinner Party Spreads

1. Clean and remove seeds and finely chop peppers. (This can be done by hand or with a food processor).
    2. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer, uncovered for 45-60 minutes - stirring occasionally until thickened.
    3. It can be canned or you can store it in the fridge for several weeks.

Hope one of these works for you

Stacie