Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish)

Posted by dlhealdquilter (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 16:38

At a recent craft show, I purchased a jar of Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish) that was to die for. According to the label, it contains Red Bell Peppers, Sugar, Vinegar, Pepper Spice and Salt. Yes, I can order/obtain more from the vendor that I purchased this from, but heck, if someone out there has the recipe that they are willing to share, I would love to make my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish)

This recipe is sweet rather than hot. The picture is a batch I made this summer.

PENNSYLVANIA SWEET PEPPER RELISH

12 large red peppers
3 Tbs. salt
6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
3 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbs. mixed pickling spices

Have, seed, and chop peppers. (You should have about 9 cups.) Layer with salt in a large glass bowl. Allow to stand at room temperature, stirring several times, 3 hours. Drain peppers well to remove all liquid. (best to squeeze out moisture with your hands)

Combine drained peppers, tomatoes and onions in a large kettle not aluminum.; stir in sugar and vinegar. Tie spices in cheesecloth and crack with a hammer. Add bag to kettle.

Bring to boiling, stirring often. Lower heat; simmer 30 to 90 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently near the end of cooking time to prevent scorching. Time will depend on juiciness of tomatoes but you want it nice and thick. Remove spice bag. Ladle into sterilized jars (1/2" head space) and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 (8 oz.) jars.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o
RE: LOOKING for: Redneck Caviar (Red Pepper Relish)

Here are a couple that I found that may be like what you are looking for, at least the ingredients look similar.

Sweet red pepper relish
Categories: Relish
Yield: 1 servings
4 Very lge. red peppers,>>>>
Seeded & chopped (4 cups)
2 tablespoon Coarse (kosher) salt
1 cup White wine vinegar
2 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds, slightly>>>>
Crushed OR>>>>>>>>>
teaspoon Fennel seeds
Mix chopped red peppers and salt and let stand overnight in a ceramic, stainless-steel or enameled container, refrigerated. Drain off and discard the liquid and put the peppers into a stainless or enameled pot with the vinegar, sugar and mustard (or fennel) seeds. Bring to boil, then lower heat to med. and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are translucent and the relish is the consistency of marmalade, but syrupy. (If relish begins to thicken too much before the peppers are translucent, cover pot and lower heat for a few minutes while the peppers complete the necessary cooking without too much evaporation.) Don't overcook, or a too-stiff relish will result. Prepare 4 half-pint canning jars with 2 pc. screw-on lids, and ladle relish into each, leaving 1/2" headroom. Process in boiling water to cover jars by 2" for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Ready for use immediately.

Here is another one but with out the spices

time to make 1 hours 30 min prep
Change to: 8 oz. jars US Metric
6 large red bell peppers
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt

Not the one? See other Sweet Red Pepper Relish/Spread Recipes

* Water Bath Spreads
* Low Protein Spreads
* Peppers Spreads
* Dinner Party Spreads

1. Clean and remove seeds and finely chop peppers. (This can be done by hand or with a food processor).
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer, uncovered for 45-60 minutes - stirring occasionally until thickened.
3. It can be canned or you can store it in the fridge for several weeks.

Hope one of these works for you

Stacie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here