Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taterbug_gw

RECIPE: toasted garlic

taterbug
18 years ago

I want to know how to toast garlic. At the restaurant, Johnny Corino's, they serve the bread with a dipping oil. The oil is olive oil with Italian spices and tasted garlic sprinkled on top. It is delicious.

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

I got this from wangerbanger.com which is no longer available. If this poster is correct, be careful you don't burn the garlic:

"I requested this from one of the waitresses @ Johnny Carino's. She said they add Basil, Oregano, Salt, Pepper and Thyme to EVOO. The garlic that is added to it is just roasted in the oven (don't forget to stir to avoid burning). I haven't gotten the exact portions figured out yet - if you do, please let me know!"

• lindac
    18 years ago

I also have had "toasted garlic", but suspect it is bits of bread soaked with crushed garlic, toasted. If you toast garlic it gets bitter.
    If you want yummy dipping oil, try buying a very good quality olive oil ( not Bertolli's nor Carapellis....but something a but more high end) and put some into a bowl and squeeze in some fresh garlic put through a garlic press, and add a bit of oregano, basil and some fresh ground black pepper.....and a bit of Kosher salt....
    Yummers!
    Linda C

• mercury12
    18 years ago

These dipping oils sound yummy, but what about some dried chilli to give it a bit of heat!

Helen

• woodie
    18 years ago

I like the taste of what I call toasted garlic, rather than roasted garlic. I just heat a pan, then put in some olive oil and when its hot, add minced/chopped garlic and immediately turn the heat down and watch it VERY CAREFULLY over medium/low heat. It can't be too hot or it will burn and become bitter. It can only take a minute or two, depending on how brave you are with the heat! If it turns too brown or black, you're screwed!

• msazadi
    18 years ago

You can get containers of roasted garlic and roasted onion at any store that specializes in Indian food or SE Asian food.

• jane1942
    16 years ago

I love the bread dip at Johnny Carino's. Purchased some
    toasted garlic bits at a gourmet store and am using EVOO with the spices added, still is not the same as Carino's. Will keep experimenting. Thanks

• jwhite1956
    8 years ago

I used to eat at Johnny Carino's all the time (when I lived in the big city). I asked my usual waiter how they made the oil. He told me about the Basil, Oregano, Salt, Pepper and Thyme. First responder nailed it. But my waiter (of many years) told me they cut the Olive Oil with some vegetable oil because the olive oil was just too rich, on it's own. Myself, I use about 1 part veg oil to 6 parts olive oil and it comes out delicious. (Along with the Basil, Oregano, Salt, Pepper and Thyme. I'm still working on the toasted garlic part because if I look away just for 1 minute, it is burned. For my bread, I use frozen Parkerhouse Rolls and cook them in small bread loaf pans. I raise them as much as I think they will give me, dust them with spray cooking oil, then lightly sprinkle my favorite seasonings on them: and a little parmesan. Sometimes I only go with the parmesan and shredded cheddar (added half way through the cooking). But the toasted garlic is always iffy. Darn!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths