3/4 cup milk or half-and-half
    3/4 lb ground round
    1/4 lb ground veal
    1/4 lb ground pork
    1 egg
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup cream or evaporated milk

In a large skillet melt the butter & saute the onions until they are golden brown.
    Soak the crumbs in the milk, add the meats, egg, onions, salt & pepper & mix thoroughly. Shape the mixture into balls about 1 1/2" in diameter & roll in the flour. Reserve 1 TBL of the flour.
    Melt enough additional butter in the skillet to cover the bottom & brown the meatballs over medium heat. Shake the pan occasionally so the meatballs retain their round shape. Remove to a serving dish & keep warm.
    Combine the reserved flour w/the cream & using a whisk, stir gradually into the pan juices. Simmer 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the gravy over the meatballs & serve hot.~~ Craig Claiborne

• lindac
    17 years ago

Meatballs: Don't know how authentic this is....but it is good!!
    Linda C

Meatballs..a la Swedish

½ pound ground chuck
    ½ pound cround chuck
    ½ to ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
    1 egg
    !/4 cup milk
    ½ tsps salt
    ¼ tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    2/3 tsp grated lemon rind
    Microwave a little bit, taste and check for seasonings

Mix all togetherÂadding bread crumbs as needed to make a soft mix that will just hold togetherÂmakes about 25 to 30 meatballs, roll in flour...not too floury....

Sauce
    2 cups beef broth
    !/2 cup dry white wine
    ½ pint sour cream
    Handful of fresh parsley

Bring the beef broth to a gentle boil and drop the meatballs in a few at a time. Remove after about 6 or 7 minutes with a slotted spoon and add more meatballs until all are cooked.
    Strain the cooking liquid and return to panÂreduce to about 1 ½ to2 cups, add the sour cream, heat and then add the meatballs, when all is heating to a bare simmerÂadd parsley and serve with noodles or toothpicksÂ
    Do not boil hard when cooking meatballs or they will fall apart
    Do not boil hard after sour cream is added or it may curdle.
    Remember the sauce will be salty when cooked down, so under salt the meat.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

So is that supposed to be a total of 1 lb ground chuck???

• ann_t
    17 years ago

You can find some more recipes here on the Cooking forum Eileen.

Ann

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

You're welcome!

• lindac
    17 years ago

No it's supposed to be 1/2 pound chuck and 1/2 pound pork...I typo-ed.
    The recipe came from my Swedish MIL...last name Hindquist....but she also had a ham ball recipe she called Swedish ham balls...
    Anyhow...they are good...different...no onions, nutmeg, allspice and lemon for flavor...Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Well, in your OP you said you didn't know how authentic they were but if your MIL was Swedish, I'd guess her recipe should be.

• annova
    17 years ago

My maternal grandparents lived in Arvika, Sweden on the Norwegian border which is why we call these Swedish/ Norwegian Meatballs. In the summer I make them w/out gravy and serve them with potato salad, pickled beets and cucumber salad. In the winter I serve them with a modified version of Jannsen's Temptation (potatoes baked with onions and Half & Half) or rutemuss, pickled beets and the cucumber salad. If you can get lingonberries, that's a nice extra Svenska touch!

Swedish/Norwegian Meatballs

2 Tbsps chopped mild onion (finely minced)
    2/3 cup bread crumbs
    10 ounces milk
    2 lb ground beef (I use extra lean ground beef)
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp white pepper

Saute onion in butter. Soak breadcrumbs in milk. Add remaining ingredients. Shape into ¾" size meatballs.

Place meatballs on baking sheet & bake at 425 degrees until brown (15 minutes). Drain off any liquid and return to oven to bake an additional 5 minutes.

These meatballs do not have a sourcream gravy. Good with pickled beets, rutemuss (combination of whipped potatoes and rutabagas) and pickled sliced cucumbers.

If you want gravy with the meatballs:

Gravy:

2 packages low sodium gravy mix
    1 cup water
    a couple spoons of regular sour cream
    a few shakes of Allspice

Place gravy mix in 2 qt saucepan. Whisk in 1 cup water and bring to a low boil. Let simmer a few minutes then turn off heat. Whisk in sour cream and add the Allspice. Pour over meatballs and serve.

Ann

• san_
    17 years ago

i'd be very interested in your recipe for jannsen's tempation, ann. there used to be a little restaurant in york, me that served them and it was the first time i ever ate anything with anchovies and liked them. i think it's such a funny coincidence that we haven't had them in quite some time but, i just took a dish of them out of the oven! they smell WONDERFUL to me and i can hardly wait till ted gets our marinated steak off the grill. anyway, below is the recipe i've been using. would you please post yours? thanx very much!

JannsonnÂs Temptation

2 ¼# russet potatoes, coarsely julienned
    1 T salt
    10 ½ oz tin of Swedish sweet pickled anchovies, juices drained and reserved***
    5 T butter, divided
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    black pepper
    1 ¼ C cream

***IÂve never seen a tin of these so I just toss in 6 or 7 anchovies packed in oil

Put the julienned potatoes in water with the salt.
    Chop the drained anchovies coarsely and set aside
    Melt 2T butter and sauté the sliced onions

Put 1T melted butter in an 8 x 8 baking dish
    Drain the potatoes and put 1/3 of them into the dish
    Top with ½ the onion, ½ the anchovies and a grinding or two of pepper
    Add 1/3 of the potatoes, the rest of the onions, all the anchovies and more pepper
    Add the remaining potatoes, cream & the anchovy juice
    Melt 2T more of butter and drizzle it over all
    Bake at 375 for 1 hour

• lacey31
    17 years ago

This recipe was shared with me 40 yrs. ago by a Swedish grandmother and they are wonderful:

Sweedish Meatballs:

2 lbs. ground beef; 1 lb. ground pork; 3 eggs; 1 good-sized onion; stale bread (3 slices grated); a little cinnamon; 3 tbsp. sugar at least; salt and pepper;
    Fry in butter.

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

This one's not called Swedish Meatballs, but the ingredients are somewhat similiar to the ones that have been posted, and it's definitely t and t.

Becky
    Lompoc, CA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meat Balls Stroganoff

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce

Mix the beef, salt, pepper, ketchup, the 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, onion and crumbs together with 1/2 cup of th evaporated milk. Mix well and shape into 16 meatballs. Roll the meat balls in the flour and brown in the hot oil in a heavy skillet. Arrange in a medium casserole and pour off any fat remaining in the skillet. Mix the remaining cup of evaporated milk, the soup, the vinegar and the 1 1/2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce. Blend well and add to the skillet. When it is hot pour over the meat balls and bake 10 minutes in a 350F oven or finish on top of the stove over very low heat.

Source:
    "Casserole Treasury, 1964 - Lousene Rousseau Brunner"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• nanabelle
    17 years ago

Here is my Swedish mother's recipe (written in her hand)

KOTTBULLAR (Meatballs)

2 lbs finely ground beef
    4 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup dry bread brumbs
    1 1/3 cup milk
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    2 cups beef bouillon

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except flour, butter and bouillon. Mix well. Use teaspoon to form balls. Cook balls in butter until evenly browned. Remove from pan. Add bouillon to pan, combine 2 Tablespoons flour with 1/3 cup water. Add to pan, stirring until thick. Return meat balls to pan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Mother's Note: "When I make this recipe I usually cut it in half as it makes quite a bit. I use 1 lb beef, ground and sometimes add 1/4 lb pork, ground. Gives it a good flavor"

(I am assuming that 1/2 cup of flour is called for in case the gravy doesn't thicken enough)

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all these look great

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I have a great recipe for meatballs but it is titled Danish Meatballs and they are outstanding. I always have to double the recipe but should triple it:

Danish Meatballs

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 lb. ground veal or ground pork (I use pork)
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 egg slightly beaten
    1 TBL grated onion (I use 1 whole green onion)
    1/4 c. half and half
    1/2 c. breadcrumbs (dried or soft)
    1/8 tsp ground allspice (optional)

Dill Sauce:

1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. all purpose flour
    2 c. chicken broth
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp dried dillweed
    1 c. sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl combine been and veal or pork, salt, pepper, egg, onion, half and half, breadcrumbs and allspice.

Shape into 1-inch balls.

Arrange on a rack in a broiler pan.

Bake 20-30 minutes in preheated ovenor until browned.

Prepare Dill Sauce and set aside.

Drain cooked meatballs.

Arrange in a chaffing dish.

Pour sauce over meatballs.

Serve warm

Makes about 80 to 85 meatballs.

Dill Sauce:

In a small bowl, melt butter and stir in flour. Stir in broth, salt and dill weed. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Sour Cream.

Michelle