Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for reciipe for Portobello Mushroom sandwich

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 16:10

Hey, I'm looking for recipes for portobello mushroom sandwiches (not grilled) with roasted red peppers as a possible ingredient.

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for reciipe for Portobello Mushroom sandwich

You don't have to grill the mushrooms. You can saute them in butter or olive oil or a combination of both or broil them instead.

o

Or roast in the oven.
Remove the gills and cut the cap into 1/2 inch thick slices, wash and remove the seeds from a red pepper.....and while you are at it cut a peeled sweet onion into 1/4 inch slices.
Place the veggies on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar.
Place into a 425 oven for about 20 minutes and put into a hard roll or on a slice of good Italian bread.
You can also sprinkle the veggies with grated garlic and oregano....and black pepper!
Linda C

o

My recipe is similar to Linda's. It's adapted from a recipe I saw in the Washington Post years ago. You can slice them (after they marinate) & saute them in a skillet instead of grilling. I use a light olive oil. Ann

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches

4 large portobello mushrooms (6-10" across)
cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce

Cut the stem off each mushroom near the base. Clean out the gills. Whisk the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and spoon it evenly into the cleaned out gill area of each mushroom. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Brush the grill rack with oil. Grill the mushrooms top-sides down over low heat. Close the grill lid and cook for 10 minutes. Pierce the thickest part of the largest mushroom with them tip of a small sharp knife. If it feels tender, remove all the mushrooms.

Slice the mushrooms and serve on Italian peasant (ciabatta) bread with aioli, slices of red onion and slices of roasted red pepper. If I have fresh basil, I like to slice it and add it to the sandwich. I also like to grill the ciabatta slices.
Aioli
1 garlic clove
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsps fresh lemon juice
Some zest from the lemon
tsp dry mustard
pinch or more of cayenne pepper
Blend in food processor and then taste for seasonings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here