Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

RECIPE: Corn bread recipe that is not sweet.

I've been using corn bread mixes, but most of them seem to be sweet. I like corn bread, in the form of crispy cornsticks, as a side to chili and similar dishes. But recently it seems like everything I've tried is more suitable for dessert or as a breakfast muffin.

Can anyone recommend either:

1) a mix that is not sweet,

2) or an easy from-scratch recipe that is not sweet?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• lulu1957
    10 years ago

We also don't care for a sweet cornbread. This is the reciipe that I use:

Mix together and allow to stand for 5 min.

3/4 cup cornmeal
    1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Stir together:

1 cup AP flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp.baking powder
    1 tsp. salt

Beat in with a fork:

1 egg

Stir into cornmeal mixture with\

1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening

Add to dry mixture and stir only until combined. Will still be a little lumpy.

Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full

Bake in preheated 400 oven for 20-25 minutes

I usually add 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese. I also like to make them in mini loaf pans with extra cheese on top.

Hope this works for you

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

We aren't sweet cornbread fans either. I use the recipe on the back of the Quaker Cornmeal box. It is a good standard recipe.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you! Can anyone tell me, for the use described, if white cornmeal or yellow is preferable? I always figured yellow would be more âÂÂcornyâ but donâÂÂt really know.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

I've always wondered the same thing, but for some reason, I like the white cornmeal. I don't know why, but not a single store where I live carries white cornmeal, so I always stock up when I visit our hometown.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

This is delicious from the Irondale/Whistlestop Cafe in Birmingham, al.

1 ý teaspoons baking powder
    2 ý teaspoons vegetable oil
    2 ý teaspoons melted butter
    2 beaten eggs
    1 ý cups fat free cultured buttermilk
    1 ý cups whole milk
    1 ý cups self- rising white cornmeal
    1 ý cups self- rising White Lily flour
    Combine all ingredients and mix well. Let batter rest under refrigeration for 1-2 hours.
    Pour batter into a well buttered 9ÃÂ13 pan.
    Bake at 350 degree in convection oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
    Brush top liberally with melted butter.
    Can also bake in a pre-heated, cast iron skillet for a dark and crunchy bottom crust.

• dejama
    10 years ago

My mom's recipe is simple but SO Good!

2 c self-rising cornmeal
    1 2/3 c buttermilk
    1 egg

Mix together and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. I make mine in a cast iron skillet. Perfect!

• suzieque
    10 years ago

I tend to like the coarse yellow cornmeal. I like the "grit" - ha.

As far as a non-sweet cornbread, several here have given recipes, but I'd guess that you could also just use any recipe and decrease the amount of sugar.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I was just thinking about my Mom's cornbread yesterday ! She used the recipe on the Alber's yellow corn meal box, and baked the batter in a cast iron pan that had holes shaped like ears of corn. I wish I could find a pan like that. I'll look on Amazon. I can't stand the Jiffy mix ! Too sweet and no grit ! Those little cornbread ears had a wonderful slightly crisp edge. That must be because she greased the pan with Crisco.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Found it ! Pre-seasoned, Lodge brand cast iron, on Amazon. I'll get a box of Alber's and make a batch.

• plantsforever
    9 years ago

Hey Deeby

I have one of those cast iron pans shaped like corn ears but have no idea where it came from other than it is very old.

Try Flea Markets- they carry a lot of old cast iron products, skillets, molds, etc.

• plantsforever
    9 years ago

Whoops, just missed your above post...glad you found one! They do cook your corn bread wonderfully.

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

They are called cast iron corn stick pans!

I have my mother's!

Love corn sticks!

{{!gwi}}

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I use the recipe on the side of Alber's Cornmeal box. Adding some shredded sharp cheddar cheese is something I had not considered until reading this post. Sounds delicious!

Cast iron cornbread pans are also available at Cracker Barrel.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Cracker Barrel Cast Iron Corn Bread Pan

• jdez
    9 years ago

If you make it from scratch and want it to be crispy on the edges, use water instead of buttermilk. That's how I like it.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area