Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 14:18

Tried this Friday night. It's a keeper.

MrsMos Crockpot Italian Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 envelope good seasons Italian dressing
mix 1/2 c. water
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms pieces and stems, drained (I used fresh mushrooms)
(I also added about a tablespoon of minced garlic)

Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Combine salad dressing mix and water. Pour over chicken and cook on low for 3 hours. Mix soup and cream cheese and mushrooms. Pour over chicken and cook one more hour or until chicken is done. Serve over rice or pasta. Several people responded that they had used fat free products with good results.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Crockpot Italian Chicken

It looks like a good recipe, it would be a nice Sunday night dinner when the kids might (or might not) come over, and would make good leftovers.

I'm worried about all the sodium in the Italian dressing mix and cream of chicken soup. I really try to stay away from recipes that use prepared things, it's so hard to control the sodium with them. Guess I'd have to figure out comparable spices and a white sauce to use in the recipe. Fortunately, I can probably find the ingredients of the dressing online.

Thanks

o
RE: RECIPE: Crockpot Italian Chicken

I've made something similar, but it didn't contain the cream cheese, which I guess would make it much creamier. I would like the addition I think, & will try this soon.
I rarely buy the Italian dressing envelopes, if you are interested here are the spice ingredients I found for replacement:
Italian dressing mix
1 1/2 T garlic salt
1 T onion powder
1 T sugar
2 T dried oregano
1 t pepper
1/4 t dried thyme
1 t dried basil
1 T dried parsley
1/4 t celery salt
Store in a tightly sealed container. To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 white vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons water or olive juice and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix.
I have assumed that the 2 tablespoons of the mix equals a package of the purchased stuff. I've also used garlic powder instead of garlic salt to decrease the salt content, but some dishes I end up adding a bit of salt back to the dish. I've never really compared it to see how close it is, but I like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here