Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

RECIPE: favorite lemon dishes

san_
19 years ago

in reading the "what's for dinner" thread today, several of us mentioned how much we liked food with lemon as an ingredient. i consider it to be one of the basic 4 (lemon, basil, garlic, and butter) items that any cooked food can be improved upon by the addition of one or all of them. so i'd love to know what recipes you like that feature lemon! here are a couple of our stand-bys:

Julias Zingy Lemon Sauce (GREAT for any cooked green veggie!)

½ of a lemon rind, grated

2 T lemon juice (about 1 small lemon)

2 T chicken broth

1 T butter (plus 4 more to finish)

Boil all the above in a small saucepan until itÂs "syrupy". Add a little salt and pepper and then whisk in the other 4 T of butter. Serve over broccoli or asparagus or green beansÂ

Mom's Lemon Dream Bars

for the crust:

cut together 1/3 C room temperature butter into 1 C of sifted flour and 2 T sugar. press this into an ungreased square pan (8 x 8 or 9 x 9) and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until set (watch closely, to make sure it doesn't burn!)

combine together:

2 beaten eggs

1/2 C brown sugar

3/4 C coconut

1/2 C pecans, roughly chopped

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

spread the above mixture over the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (again watching, to make sure it doesn't burn). Frost immediately with:

2 T lemon juice

2 tsp grated lemon rind

1 C sifted confectionerÂs sugar

let cool and cut into small pieces. can be frozen, tightly wrapped.

Crock Pot Lemon Chicken

3# chicken pieces, dredged in seasoned flour (we like chicken thighs and I add a pinch of 5-spice powder to the flour, along with a little salt & pepper)

brown the chicken in a skillet (I usually skip that)

mix together in a crock pot:

6 oz can of lemonade

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

3 T brown sugar

3 T catsup

add the chicken and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours

PASTA WITH LEMON CREAM AND PROSCIUTTO

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter

3 large shallots, minced

3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

1 cup whipping cream

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 cups frozen green peas, thawed

2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

12 ounces penne pasta

12 thin slices prosciutto

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add broth. Simmer over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Add cream, lemon peel, orange peel, and cayenne. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Add peas; simmer just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in mint and lemon juice. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain; return pasta to pot. Toss pasta with sauce to coat. Divide pasta among plates or bowls. Drape prosciutto slices atop pasta and serve, passing Parmesan separately. Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit

January 2003

Comments (115)

• coronabarb
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Had to call my sister in Sacramento to get this, as I couldn't find my copy! Now I need to get some eggs (a great week for that...should be cheap!). I may try tinkering with adding some raspberry to it.

Sunset Lemon Curd

4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    2/3 cup lemon juice
    5 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter

Put all ingredients except butter into blender. Blend well. With blender running on low, gradually add melted butter and blend well.

Place into heavy pan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 5 minutes until bubbly and thickened.

Makes 3 cups

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    19 years ago

Thanks for posting it, Coronabarb! I made Annie's (Colleen's) recipe this morning, I'll get to these recipes, too!

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

Psssst...
    (I love homemade lemon curd as well as anyone, but Crabtree & Evelyn's is delicious if you just want to grab a spoon and open a jar.)

19 years ago

I made these cookies this afternoon and filled them with the last of the lemon curd (Colleen's recipe that Annie posted) instead of jam. They were delicious, perfect combination!

Jam Thumbprints (Ina Garten)

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
    7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
    Raspberry and/or apricot jam

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

• farmhouseindy
    19 years ago

I am jealous of those of you with lemon trees in your backyard!! especially those divine meyer lemons!!! I just discovered them at the new Fresh Market here in Indy. And yesterday at Williams Sonoma I found that they are selling bottled meyers lemon juice (not as good as the real thing) but ok!! I just tried a lemon and ginger pound cake last night but DH left it in oven and it burned ....so I need to try it again before posting it, but it called for grated ginger and meyer lemons which sounded like a wonderful combination!! Will post it if it turns out this time.

• farmhouseindy
    19 years ago

here is recipe for anyone who might want to try it.

• weed30 St. Louis
    19 years ago

OK, maybe I missed it, but I don't think I did.

I cannot BELIEVE that nobody posted Ruthanna's most fabulous recipe, below. The compound butter is to die for!

--------------
    NOTE: The tomato-basil butter is outstanding you can just make that and serve it over a lot of things grilled chicken, veggies, rice, etc.

I make a double recipe, chill it, make into a log then wrap and freeze. Its easy to slice off what you need.

PARMESAN FRIED FLOUNDER WITH TOMATO-BASIL BUTTER
    (serves 4)

Source: Ruthanna

TOMATO BASIL BUTTER
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 1/ 2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes (about 1 lb.) *I used canned diced tomatoes and it was fine.
    2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/ 2 cup sweet butter softened
    2 tsp. grated lemon rind
    1/ 2 tsp. salt
    1/ 8 tsp. pepper
    1/ 4 cup minced fresh basil
    Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the tomatoes and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes form a puree that will mound. Let cool. Put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat in the tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated but best served at room temperature so that it will melt quickly over the fish.

FISH

1/ 2 cup flour
    3/ 4 tsp. salt
    1/ 2 tsp. pepper
    3/ 4 cup dry bread crumbs
    3/ 4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/ 4 cup butter
    1/ 4 cup olive oil
    1 pound flounder fillets (tilapia, sole or similar fish also works very well)

Combine flour, salt & pepper in shallow bowl or pie tin. Mix the crumbs and cheese in another bowl or pie tin. Have the eggs ready in a third shallow dish. Since the fish needs to cook in a single layer, use one very large skillet or 2 slightly smaller ones. Heat the butter and olive oil in the skillet. Dip the fish in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess. Then dip in the egg and let the excess drip off. Finally coat completely with the Parmesan crumbs. Saute the fillets over medium heat for 2 3 minutes on each side, pat off any excess oil with paper towels and serve at once topped with Tomato-Basil butter.
    Notes: Fish fillets can be breaded and refrigerated for a couple of hours before cooking but bring to room temperature first. If you have any leftover Tomato-Basil Butter, its good on cooked green beans or grilled shrimp.

Source: Adapted from a recipe in Frog Cookbook

• coronabarb
    19 years ago

Oh Weed! Thanks for that recipe. I have lots of frozen tomatoes from last year's garden sharing space in the freezer with all the fish my son catches. Yippee, a new way to use both at the same time. And I have pesto in there too.

coronabarb

• cindy_5ny
    19 years ago

Oops, I guess I'm a bit late Coronabarb - I just posted Ruthanna's recipe today over on the WFD for your tomato/fish request - I should have checked here first. Enjoy!

Cindy

• pat_t
    19 years ago

A late addition, but worth the wait!

LEMON FREEZE TORTE

Reminiscent of lemon meringue pie, this is a light refreshing treat after a heavy meal. Could use orange juice and rind instead of lemon, if desired.

5 egg yolks
    6 egg whites
    1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
    3/4 cup Lemon juice
    Grated rind of 2 lemons
    2 cups whipping cream
    1 pkg. (3-1/2 oz./100 gm) Ladyfingers or Puff Pastry Pretzels
    Pinch of Cream of Tartar

In top of double boiler, beat together 5 egg yolks, 2 of the egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice and rind, cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Spoon into bowl, refrigerate until cool.

Whip cream until it holds its shape. Fold into cooled lemon mixture. Line sides of 8 inch buttered springform pan with ladyfingers. Spoon in lemon-cream mixture and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.

In separate bowl, beat remaining egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, gradually adding remaining sugar (1/4 cup) beating until soft peaks form.

Pile meringue on top of frozen lemon desert. Broil on bottom rack of oven until meringue is brown. --about 1 minute. Transfer again to freezer.

About 1 hour before serving transfer torte to refrigerator, or counter. remove sides of springform pan.

Makes about 12 servings.

Source: Canadian Living Christmas Cooking, Dec. 1986.

• lsr2002
    18 years ago

This thread has so many great recipes. When I copied and pasted to Word there were 61 pages!

Just want to bring it ttt for all the lemon lovers out there who may have missed it.

Lee

• linda_intennessee
    18 years ago

Lemon pound cake

'The Secrets of Baking'

Special tools
    Parchment paper (for loaf cakes)
    Standing electric mixer with a paddle attachment (optional)

Ingredients

For the cake:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups cake flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened if using a hand mixer

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup finely grated or chopped lemon zest

4 large eggs

For lemon syrup:

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

3/4 cup sugar

Directions

For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Adjust the rack to the center of the oven. Spray two

9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans with pan spray and line with a strip of parchment paper running along the length of the pan. Spray the paper.

Triple-sift the flours, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the buttermilk and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.

Using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat the butter on high speed until it is soft and creamy, about 1 minute. Slowly add the sugar and lemon zest and beat on high speed until fully incorporated and the mixture is fluffy, light, and a creamy white color, about 10 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Add the eggs, one at a time. Be sure each egg is completely incorporated and scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the next.

Add one third of the sifted dry ingredients to the batter and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Add one third of the buttermilk mixture and mix until just incorporated. Repeat with the remaining two thirds of the dry and wet ingredients, in two additions. Be sure each addition is completely absorbed before adding the next.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes, then carefully remove them from the pans and set on the rack to cool.

Directions

For the syrup:

Meanwhile, bring the lemon juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes.

While the cakes are still warm, poke holes all over the tops with a skewer or a fork. Use a pastry brush to apply the lemon syrup. The holes help the syrup penetrate into the center of the cake. Serve warm or at room temperature. The pound cake will last for up to two days at room temperature or three weeks in the freezer if wrapped airtight.

Yield: Two 9-inch loaf cakes

• linda_intennessee
    18 years ago

Honey Lemon Squares
    Yield: 12 servings.

1/2 cup butter softened
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup + 1 Tbsp. flour, divided
    3/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. grated lemon peel
    1/2 tsp. baking powder

In a medium bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add one cup of flour and mix until combined. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of a 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1 Tbsp. flour with remaining ingredients until thoroughly blended. Pour over the baked crust; bake 20 minutes more, until filling is set. Cool in pan and cut into squares to serve.

Source: National Honey Board

• linda_intennessee
    18 years ago

Lemon Sour Cream Pie

Serves 6

Flaky Pie Crust Dough:
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup and 2 Tbs. butter
    1 large egg
    2 Tbs. ice water

Pie Crust Directions:

Mix together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and begin working it into the flour with a pastry cutter. Work with the dough until each piece of butter is the size of a raisin. Make sure to do this quickly.

Mix together the egg and water in a small bowl, then add that to the flour/butter mixture. Smear this mixture and knead through it with the heal of your hand until it barely holds together. Don't over-work the dough. Flatten the dough into a disc shape, wrap it in plastic, and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough for the pie shell and place in a 9-inch pie pan shaping the dough to the pan. Line the shell with parchment paper and place baking beans or weights. Chill for 30 minutes, then bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and weights and continue to bake for an additional 12 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Let cool.

Lemon Filling:
    1 cup sugar
    3-1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
    1 Tbs. lemon zest
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 cup milk
    1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup sour cream
    1 baked pie shell, 9-inch
    1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with 1/8 cup sugar

In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks, milk and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat until thick. Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature.

Stir in sour cream and pour filling into pie shell. Cover with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.

• linda_intennessee
    18 years ago

Lemon Sponge Pudding

what attracted me to this recipe was its uniqueness, for even though you mix the ingredients together as you would any cake batter, the batter separates into two layers as it bakes. The top layer is a light and airy sponge cake and underneath the cake is a deliciously tangy lemon sauce. Although much different from most cake recipes, only later do I find out that this type of cake is quite popular in England and Australia where recipes abound with names such as; Lemon Surprise Pudding, Lemon Pudding Cake, Lemon Souffle Pudding, and Lemon Delicious Pudding.

It is important to note that whether you decide to bake the batter in individual ramekins or in one large souffle dish, it must be placed in a water bath to provide temperature protection for the eggs thus preventing the batter from curdling. To do this first place the ramekins in a larger baking pan (or any size pan that will fit the ramekins and leave about 1 inch (2.54 cm) around the edges) and then carefully pour in enough hot water so that the water is halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

My preference is to serve this dessert directly from the individual ramekins so when your guests dip their spoons into the ramekins they will be pleasantly surprised to find not only cake on their spoons but also a yummy lemon sauce. The finishing touch is to dust with confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar along with a dollop of softly whipped cream and maybe some fresh berries (if available).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease six ramekins with butter.

Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sugar to use when whipping the egg whites. In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream the remaining sugar and butter. Add the three egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Add the flour and salt and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually pour in the lemon juice and milk. Set aside while you beat the egg whites.

In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, in three additions, mixing only until incorporated.

Carefully pour (or use a ladle) the batter into the prepared ramekins. (The batter does not rise much during baking so you can fill the ramekins almost to the rim.) Place the ramekins in a larger baking pan (or any size pan that will fit the ramekins and leave about 1 inch (2.54 cm) around the edges).

Prepare a water bath. (A water bath is used to provide temperature protection for the eggs.) Carefully pour in enough hot water so that the water is halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake about 45 minutes or until the sponge cakes are golden brown and a toothpick is inserted into the cake portion it comes out clean. Be careful not to insert the toothpick into the lemon sauce at the bottom of the ramekins. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and cool slightly before serving.

This dessert is best served warm and you can serve the sponge cakes in the ramekins with a dusting of confectioners sugar and a dollop of whipped cream.

Note: You can also make this dessert in a 2 quart (4 cups) souffle dish.

Makes 6 servings.

Recipe:

1 cup granulated white sugar, divided

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

3 large eggs, separated

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1 cup whole milk

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Note: Ramekins are a lot like a small soufflé dish with their rimmed top and straight sides that are smooth on the inside but ridged on the outside. They can be made of porcelain, earthenware, or stoneware and are usually plain colored.

Lemon Zest - The yellow outer rind of the lemon that contains the fruit's flavor and perfume.

Cream of Tartar is tartaric acid and is a fine white crystalline acid salt which is a by-product of the wine-making industry. It is used in the whipping of egg whites to stabilize them and allow them to reach maximum volume.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Lemon Delicious (Sponge Pudding, or any other name you call it!) is definitely NOT a cake, it's a dessert which has a very fluffy cake-like consistency with the lemon sauce around it. It's usually served with ice cream, cream or custard. Here in Australia it's just called Lemon Delicious.

Two simple versions below. Be warned. Although it might look like a large pudding for a large family, it's so light that it really doesn't stretch very far, although it's quite rich. Think 4 servings, tops. But most people come back for seconds, so make two!

The Passionfruit Delicious is equally - um - delicious and highly recommended.

The first time I made Lemon Delicious was in a camp oven over an open fire, and all I had to beat up the egg whites was a fork! It turned out just fine - so it's an easy recipe, really. Much easier in a home kitchen, I must say.

Caramel Lemon Delicious
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup plain flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    60g butter
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    4 eggs, separated

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat and boil gently. Pour caramel evenly into the base of 4 individual ovenproof dishes and swirl dishes to coat the base and a little of the sides. Sift flour, add sugar. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add lemon rind and juice and egg yolks. Beat well. Beat egg whites until firm peaks form, fold into lemon mixture. Spoon lemon mixture evenly into prepared dishes, stand dishes in a baking dish filled with water to come halfway up the sides of the individual dishes. Bake at 160C for 50 minutes or until golden brown on top. Loosen edges of pudding with a knife, turn out and top with whipped cream.

Lemon Sponge Pudding
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon butter
    juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
    2 eggs, separated
    3 tablespoons self raising flour
    pinch salt
    3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup water

Cream sugar and butter. Add lemon juice and rind, then egg yolks. Beat well. Add sifted flour, salt, milk and water. Mix thoroughly and add stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into a pie dish. Stand in a dish of water in a moderate oven and bake 40 minutes.

Passionfruit Delicious
    30g butter
    3/4 cup castor sugar
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    3 eggs, separated
    1/4 cup self raising flour
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup passionfruit pulp
    1 cup lukewarm milk
    sifted icing sugar

Beat together the butter, sugar, rind and egg yolks until well mixed. Stir in the flour, then gradually add lemon juice, passionfruit pulp and milk. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold into mixture. Pour into a buttered pudding dish. Place dish in a roasting pan half filled with cold water. Bake at 190C for 40-45 minutes until light brown and set. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream, if desired.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Does yours look like this one, Daisy?

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

Roselin, you were right about Aunt Frances. Made the drink yesterday and it was so refreshing after a morning of heavy yard work. Thanks.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I love that "Aunt Frances"- glad you liked it too.I made Ginger's Lemon Spaghetti last night and we really enjoyed it. My husband thought it was a nice light summer pasta dish and I agree. Thanks, Ginger.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it. I almost didn't make it when I came across it because it almost looked TOO simple.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I need this thread back on page1.........so many good recipes here and I always have to search thru all of my notebooks for them. Think lemon is the #1 favorite flavor here.

• cookingrvc
    17 years ago

This is a great dish to make ahead and serve on a buffet:

Lemon Chicken (Mr. Casella's)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 lbs. chicken breasts -- skinless, boneless
    3/4 cup Flour
    4 T. Butter
    1/4 cup Canola oil
    1 C. Dry white wine
    Juice of ½ lemon
    1 C. Chicken broth (canned or home made)
    8 lemon slices
    Fresh parsley for garnish

Pound chicken cutlets to ¼ or 1/3 inch thick.
    Cut into 2x2" pieces.
    Lightly coat with flour.

Heat butter in large skillet.
    When bubbly, add oil.
    When oil is hot, add chicken pieces in batches so only one layer of
    chicken is in pan at a time - brown lightly on both sides.

Remove chicken and reserve in a baking dish.

When all pieces are browned and removed from pan, add wine and lemon juice
    to pan.
    Scrape up bits on bottom of pan (deglaze).
    Bring to a boil, and reduce liquid over high heat, for 3 minutes.

Add chicken broth and reduce for another 3 minutes.
    Return chicken to pan.
    Top with lemon slices.
    Simmer for 5 - 6 minutes.

Garnish with fresh parsley and additional lemon slices.

NOTES : If making ahead, store in a baking dish and reheat
    covered, in oven for 30 minutes at 300° or in a chafing dish.
    =================================================

LEMON CREAM CHEESE STRUDEL

Filling
    3 egg yolks
    Grated zest of 2 lemons
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    Strudel
    2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, at room
    temperature
    1/4 Cup Confectioner's sugar
    1 Egg
    12 Sheets Phyllo dough
    2/3 Cup Melted unsalted butter
    Granulated sugar, for sprinkling

Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a 7-inch diameter
    stainless steel bowl.

Put it over a 6-inch pot of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the
    bowl isn't touching the water (the bowl shouldnt touch the water because too high a heat will cook the egg yolks).

Stir with a wooden spoon (I used a whisk)until thickened and the foam has subsided, about 8 minutes.
    Remove from the heat, transfer the curd to a clean bowl and cover the surface of the lemon curd with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Combine cream cheese and icing sugar in a medium bowl and in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the mixture on medium speed until light and creamy.

Add the egg and chilled lemon curd and beat on medium speed just until well blended.

Lay a sheet of phyllo on a surface with the long end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo under a damp tea towel.)
    Brush with melted butter.

Lay another sheet on top, and continue brushing and layering until you have 6 sheets of phyllo layered and buttered.

Pour half the filling onto the bottom third of the phyllo creating a log of filling and leaving a 6-inch border along the bottom and 1 1/2-inch border along the sides.

Roll the strudel away from you, turning once. Fold the sides in (letter style), securing well, and then roll it completely.

Strudel should be about 3 inches thick. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling to make another strudel.

Put the 2 strudels on the baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with butter.

Sprinkle with some granulated sugar and cut two small slits in the top of the phyllo to let steam escape.
    Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden and puffy.

Remove from oven and cool slightly. Slice.

NOTES : When youre working with phyllo dough, keep any unused portions covered in plastic wrap so they dont dry out and crumble.

Use a 7-inch bowl and a 6-inch pot of simmering water to make the curd. If the bowl is too large, the curd will curdle.

=============================================
    Can't forget this one........

Lemon-Ricotta Hot Cakes

6 large eggs -- separated
    1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
    1 stick Unsalted butter -- melted and cooled
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 Cup All purpose flour
    1/4 Cup Sugar
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    2 T. grated lemon zest
    Powdered sugar for dusting

Heat a griddle.
    Whip egg whites until they hold firm glossy peaks, and set aside.
    Beat ricotta, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla together and set aside.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and zest.
    With a rubber spatula, stir dry ingredients gently into the ricotta mixture.
    Stir a spoonful of whipped egg whites into the batter then gently fold in the remainder.

Grease the heated griddle, if necessary.
    Drop 3 tablespoons of batter for each hotcake on the griddle, allowing space for spreading.
    Cook until golden on the bottom and the top shows a bubble or two.
    Gently flip, and cook until undersides are light brown.
    Dust with powdered sugar.

Source:
    "NY Times"NOTES : These are simply the BEST pancakes ever. Resist the urge to top with syrup, not necessary.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

Hi Sue, always good to see you! Thanks for reminding me that I haven't made the Lemon-Ricotta hotcakes in quite awhile - they'll be on the menu for this morning.

This is a great thread!

Cindy

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

This is a great thread, I just was looking for some ideas and ended up printing 4 recipes and there's more I want to try also.

Nancy

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

Since I pulled this thread up to make the dough for the lemon slice 'n' bake cookies this morning, thought I'd bring it to the top again. I've probably saved and made more recipes from this thread than any other.

Tried any new lemon recipes lately to add?

17 years ago

I loved this thread!

yes, I have another. Lemon marmalade. I made it with the meyers but when I don't have meyers for a recipe, I use regular lemons and just substitute a little orange juice to mix in with the lemon. It would probably work fine in this recipe. or just go with regular lemons. I never made jam before and this came out fanatstic and it was very easy (my potential for disaster was there, but the recipe worked perfectly. I made it about 4 times already (gave some away for friends to try) and I didn't use cheesecloth for the pits, so I'm lazy, I cooked it, pits and all, and picked out the pits with a spoon (most of them, LOL!) and I didn't have the patience to wait 24 hours so I let it sit for maybe 8-10 hours the first time, and about four hours the last time. Came out fine every time!

MEYER LEMON MARMALADE
    Active time: 1 1/4 hr Start to finish: 25 1/4 hr
    6 Meyer lemons (1 1/2 lb)
    4 cups water
    4 cups sugar
    Cheesecloth
    Kitchen string
    6 (1/2-pint) Mason-type jars, sterilized

Halve lemons crosswise and remove seeds. Tie seeds in a cheesecloth bag. Quarter each lemon half and thinly slice. Combine with bag of seeds and water in a 5-quart nonreactive heavy pot and let mixture stand, covered, at room temperature 24 hours.

Bring lemon mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, about 45 minutes. Stir in sugar and boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and skimming off any foam, until a teaspoon of mixture dropped on a cold plate gels, about 15 minutes.

Ladle hot marmalade into jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of top. Wipe rims with dampened cloth and seal jars with lids.
    Put jars in a water-bath canner or on a rack set in a deep pot. Add enough hot water to cover jars by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil jars, covered, 5 minutes and transfer with tongs to a rack. Cool jars completely.
    Cooks' note:

Marmalade keeps, stored in a cool, dark place, up to 1 year.

Makes 6 (1/2-pint) jars
    Gourmet - December 1999

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

I used to spend a lot of time at White Oak Plantation, a hunting resort in the Alabama Black Belt. One of the things they served was this

Lemon Bread

1/3 cup shortening
    1 1/3 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sifted flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    Grated rind and juice of one lemon

Cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with milk to creamed mixture, beating well. Add nuts and lemon rind. Pour into a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Blend remaining sugar and lemon juice; pour over bread as soon as it comes from oven.

• jackiwolfe
    17 years ago

A friend sent this to me. I haven't tried it yet, but she raves about it!

Fragrant Lemon Chicken

Yield: 6 servings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 apple - peeled, cored and quartered
    1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
    1 (3 pound) whole chicken
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    1 cup hot water

DIRECTIONS:

Rub salt and pepper into the skin of the chicken, and then place apple and celery inside the chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion, rosemary, and lemon juice and zest over chicken. Pour 1 cup hot water into the slow cooker.
    Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour. Switch to Low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours, basting several times.

• jackiwolfe
    17 years ago

totally forgot about this one, it's GOOD!!

Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/8 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons dried rosemary
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 lemon, sliced
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt & pepper

In a large resalable plastic bag, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, and rosemary garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the chicken and lemon slices in the bag. Seal, and shake to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat the grill for high heat.
    Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinade, and grill chicken 8 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. Don't worry about the rosemary sticking to the chicken, it tastes great when it's grilled. If you use fresh rosemary sprigs, throw the stems onto the coals - they give the chicken even more of a smoky rosemary flavor!

16 years ago

Found this one at a newspaper online, thought we'd try it tonight!

Lemon Chicken with Bok Choy

1/2 cup lemon juice (from about 4 large lemons)
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
    1/3 cup and 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
    6 stalks bok choy cut into 2-inch lengths or 4 heads baby bok choy
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup flour
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/3-inch thickness
    1/2 cup canola oil

Make lemon sauce by combining in a nonreactive small saucepan lemon juice, vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 to 2 minutes.

In small bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into the sauce; cook 2 to 3 minutes until sauce boils and thickens. Keep warm over low heat.

Place bok choy in a steamer basket over boiling water 3 to 4 minutes until tender crisp. Drain and keep warm.

Meanwhile, in shallow bowl, whisk eggs. In glass pie dish or other shallow baking dish, combine flour and 1/3 cup cornstarch. Dip chicken into beaten eggs; drain off excess. Dredge chicken in flour mixture to coat well. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.

In straight-sided saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken to pan, in batches if necessary, and fry 7 to 8 minutes until golden brown, crispy and cooked through, turning. Transfer chicken to paper towels to drain. Serve chicken atop bok choy topped with sauce. Or slice meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices and serve atop bok choy topped with sauce. Serve any remaining sauce on the side for drizzling at the table.
    Makes 4 servings.

• san_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ah--so nice to see the new additions to this thread! and i have one too. we tried it for the 1st time recently and knowing that the zuchinni season is just around the corner, i'll sure we'll be making really good use of it again soon--thanx again, jain!

Zucchini Toss (Jain)

the zucchini is grated, and i have to say its one of my favorite dishes. steam 3-4 whole zucchini and grate, mix with the juice and zest from 2 lemons, garlic, s&p, olive oil, parmesan, pine nuts and a fist full of cut up basil and toss.

16 years ago

thanks for posting Jain's recipe, San! We love zucchini, too, and with lemon and pine nuts, has to be a winner! it's on the menu for tomorrow!

16 years ago

San, I made the zucchini toss last night for dinner. Fantastic. Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch! Wasn't sure how long to steam it. I did it for just a few minutes in the microwave and grabbed it out before it got soft. Perfect! Thanks again!

{{gwi:2044629}}

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

This a treasure of recipes!

16 years ago

Anything new with lemons to add?

• annova
    16 years ago

Marinated Chickpea Salad with Radishes and Cucumber

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (can use a bit more)
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well rinsed & drained
    1 lb. seedless cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
    6 large red radishes, thinly slided
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro

In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas and let marinate for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in the cucumbers, radishes, onion, and herb(s) and season with salt and pepper.

source: posted at finerkitchens.com
    My note: I use cilantro. If I only have a regular cucumber on hand, I seed it before cutting into chunks. Must use good brand (and fresh)olive oil. I usually marinate the chickpeas longer. This is best at room temperature. We love it!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Thanks, annova, I'm making this tonight! (BTW I always take the seeds out of regular cucs.)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Thanks, Annova! Great salad, defnitely a keeper and a do-over. We both loved it and can't wait to have the leftover for lunch tomorrow!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Wow, how did I miss this thread the first...and second time around? LOL

Raspberry-Lemon Shortbread Tart
    From Every Day with Rachael Ray
    February-March 2006
    8 Servings
    Prep Time: 30 min; Cook Time: 50 min

3 cups frozen raspberries (1 pound)
    1 stick plus 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3 large eggs
    Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

No need to get out your rolling pin or even grease the pan for this dessert. Just use your fingers to mix the shortbread dough, then dump it straight into a cake pan, press down and bake.

1. Drain the raspberries in a strainer set over a bowl. Preheat the oven to 400°. Using your fingers, combine the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 1/2 cups of the flour and blend together until coarse crumbs form. Pour the mixture into an ungreased nonstick 9-inch springform or cake pan and press down evenly to form a crust. Bake the shortbread crust until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
    2. Remove the shortbread from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325°. Scatter the drained raspberries evenly over the baked shortbread.
    3. Beat the eggs with the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow. Whisk in the lemon zest, the lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Pour the lemon cream over the raspberries and bake the tart until the custard is set, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then dust with confectioners' sugar.

You can replace the raspberries with your favorite fruitor even pieces of chocolate. Go all the way and swap a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the lemon juice and zest in the quick custard.

My notes: Based on the mistakes I made the first try...Make sure the berries are thawed and drained well. Don't make the custard while the crust is baking! While the crust is COOLING I made the custard, and then put the berries on the crust just before pouring the custard on top. Baking time was a bit longer than the 30 minutes stated, too.
    Also...I made the shortbread in the food processor rather than using my fingers. Worked perfectly.

[{{gwi:2044630}}](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=215168487) Touch of Lemon Sugar Cookies Source: Pillsbury "Cookies, Cookies & More Cookies" 1980 2 c sugar 1 c butter, softened 1T grated lemon peel ¼ c lemon juice 1 tsp vanilla 2 eggs 3\-1/4 c AP flour 1 tsp salt 1 tsp soda 1 tsp cream of tartar Sugar Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. In large bowl, combibe sugar, butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla and eggs. Cream until smooth. Lightly spoon floour into measuring cup and level off. Stir in flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar until well blended. Shape dough into 1" balls, roll in sugar and place two inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 15\-20 minutes or until lightly browned. (Cookies will be soft in center). Makes 4\-5 dozen cookies My notes: These are really good, light lemon flavor. 12/06 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=244079309) Lemon Curd Bars Source: Midwest Living December 2006 1 c unsalted butter, softened 1 c sugar 2 c all purpose flour ½ tsp baking powder 1 10\-12 oz jar lemon curd 2/3 c flaked coconut ½ c sliced or slivered almonds, toasted Preheat oven to 375F. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add flour and baking powder, beat until combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 2/3 cup of crumb mixture, and set aside. Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake 5\-8 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, spread lemon curd over crust, to within ½ inc of edges of pan. In bowl, mix reserved crumb mixture with coconut and almonds. Sprinkle over the lemon curd. Bake for 18\-20 minutes more or until edges are golden and topping is browned. Cool and cut into squares. Makes 32 bars. Linda
  • annova
    16 years ago

Woodie2 - I'm glad you liked the Marinated Chickpea Salad (just bought some more chickpeas so I can make it for dinner tonight :) I have a question about this thread...it won't let me copy and paste. when I click on it I get a pop up telling me that some type of software or something is not available...the thread comes up but I can't copy any of the recipes. and I want to copy that Raspberry-lemon shortbread tart!! Ann

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

annova, I am not sure why you can't copy and paste, but if you e-mail me thru GW I will send you the recipe.

I was going to send it to you thru GW but you don't have an e-mail link on your member page.

Linda

• jessyf
    16 years ago

My FIL just brought over {{gwi:2044628}}. Those are TWO half sheet cake pans. The $5 is there to show how big they are ! 40 lemons....sigh....reading the thread!

• lackboys3
    16 years ago

Jessy, what did you end up doing with all those beautiful lemons?

LEMON-LIME TART

1 1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
    4 T unsalted butter, softened
    2 T light brown sugar
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1 14 oz. can sw. condensed milk
    1/3 C fresh lemon juice
    1/4 C fresh lime juice
    1 t EACH grated lemon and lime peel
    2 large eggs, separated

In medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Press mixture onto bottom and up side of 9" tart pan with removable bottom.

Preheat oven to 325. In large bowl, whisk sw. condensed milk, lemon and lime juices and peels, and egg yolks until mixture is well blended and thick.

In small bowl with mixer on high, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into lemon-lime mixture with rubber spatula.

Pour lemon lime filling into crust. Bake tart 20-25 minutes, until filling is just firm. Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours. Approx. 10 servings.

DONNA

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

So simple, yet so good.

Lemon Salt Marinated Pork Tenderloin

Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

6 lemons
    1 1/2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 pork tenderloins (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
    Honey Roasted Applesauce, recipe follows
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Finely zest the lemons.
    Using a mortar and pestle, work the salt and lemon zest together. Add a few turns of black pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to blend. Rub the lemon salt mixture all over the pork.
    In a large saute pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until hot but not smoking, add tenderloins to pan and sear on all sides, about 5 minutes total. (If you have a small pan, sear 1 tenderloin at a time.) Move pan with pork to the oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 155 degrees F, about 6 to 8 minutes.
    Remove pork from the pan and let rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes. Slice the tenderloins against the grain on a diagonal bias, fan out on a plate, and serve with Honey Roasted Applesauce.
    Honey Roasted Applesauce:
    6 apples, Gravenstein or McIntosh
    2 tablespoons sweet butter
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt, preferably gray salt
    1/3 cup honey
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler, remove the core and cut into 1-inch chunks.
    Heat a medium saute pan on medium-high heat with the butter in it. When the butter begins to brown add the lemon juice and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the apples and salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the edges just begin to color. Add the honey and put in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until the apples are soft and lightly caramelized.
    Mash with a fork for a chunky version, or put in food processor for a smoother sauce. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings
    Cook's Notes: Most applesauce recipes call for cooking the apples on the stovetop from start to finish. I prefer to start them on the stovetop and then finish them in a hot oven. The oven heat concentrates their flavors by drying and caramelizing them slightly. Although I have suggested a couple of apple varieties, you can use what good cooking apples are available in your area.

• san_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nice to see the more recent additions! i tried a new sauce last night and it was too "sharp" for the pasta and clams i made, until i toned it down with some cream--that worked out well. but i am very much looking forward to using it to marinate some chicken for a little bit before finishing on the grill!

Basil Lemon Marinade
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
    4 strips of lemon zest
    3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil. The virtue of this marinade is its freshness: Use it within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.

Makes 1 cup.

Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades
    May 2000
    Steven Raichlen
    Workman Publishing

16 years ago

back to the top with this thread!

This was very good. I needed a 4th egg yolk to thicken it. I used canned artichokes.

lemon chicken and artichokes with dill sauce
    Bon Appétit : March 2002

Serve this dish on a bed of orzo to capture every drop of the tart, creamy sauce. After trimming and slicing each artichoke, immediately place the quarters in the pot of lemony water so that they won't turn brown. What to drink: Sauvignon Blanc.

2 lemons, halved
    8 large artichokes
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    12 garlic cloves, minced
    2 chickens (each about 3 3/4 pounds), giblets removed, each cut into 8 pieces
    3 large egg yolks
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Squeeze juice from lemons into large pot of salted water. Add lemons. Trim artichokes and cut lengthwise into quarters; add to pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover partially and boil until artichokes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Using shears, cut 1/2 inch off tips of leaves. Scoop out choke. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Whisk wine, lemon juice, oil, and garlic in large bowl to blend.

Add chicken. Turn to coat. Let marinate 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and arrange, skin side up, on large rimmed baking sheet. Reserve marinade. Bake chicken 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, add artichokes to marinade in large bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate 25 minutes.

Transfer artichokes to another large rimmed baking sheet; place in oven with chicken and bake 10 minutes. Pour marinade into saucepan and bring to boil. Baste chicken and artichokes with 1/3 of marinade. Continue baking until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and artichokes to platter; tent with foil.

Strain pan juices from baking sheets into 2-cup glass measuring cup. Transfer 1 1/4 cups pan juices to medium saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks. Whisk constantly over medium-high heat just until mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in dill. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Spoon some sauce over chicken and artichokes on platter. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

(Dishes...if TJs still carries sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes...try those instead of real chokes....all the sweet flavor and none of the work... and thanks for bumping this thread!)

16 years ago

Thanks, Jessy, I added it to the shopping list, I'll pick some up to try. I always end up using canned, just because it's it's easy. I'm curious about the sunchokes, I'll get some!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Thanks Dishes - sounds great to me - I love artichokes. Jessy, I haven't had a sunchoke in years and only ever had them raw in salad. I can't say they had any flavor to me, just crunch - when I find them again I'll give them another try.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Woodie, I've not had them raw - just roasted or cooked for a cream soup. Roasted is unbelievable.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County