Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Recipes with ground lamb

I have maybe 2 pounds of ground lamb. It looks leaner than ground lamb normally looks. I usually make lamb patties (like hamburgers, sauteed with Worchestershire sauce) but family says they are tired of that. I donÂt want to make meat loaf either because they only like meatloaf in my "usual" way. I donÂt want to just sub it for hamburger (no point in doing that) but hope to exploit the lamb flavor. I bought it to make lamb/spinach eggrolls but could not find the eggroll wrappers. Maybe something greek-inspired?

Hope this isn't a tall order!

Comments (4)

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Hi Linnea --

Alton Brown has a recipe for gyros that I've been wanting to try...

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Gyros from Alton Brown

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I know you don't want lamb patties but this is made into patties instead of stuffed into casings the way Merguez usually is. It's really good:
    MERGUEZ (serves 4)
    1 lb ground lean lamb
    3/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
    1 tsp minced garlic
    Pepper to taste
    1 TBL vegetable oil
    1 TBL butter, melted

In a mixing bowl, combine the lamb, cumin, thyme, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, garlic & pepper. Blend well with your fingers.
    Shape into 4 patties of equal size. If you're using a grill, preheat it to high & brush with oil. If using a skillet, use a nonstick pan & add the oil to the skillet. Cook the patties 3-4 minutes on 1 side. Turn & cook the other side to the desired degree of doneness. Transfer the patties to the plates & brush the top of each lightly w/melted butter & serve.~~ Craig Claiborne

STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES (4-5 dozen)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 lb lean ground lamb
    1/2 cup short-grained rice
    1 TBL dried dill weed
    1/3 cup pine nuts
    1/4 cup water
    3 TBL tomato paste
    Pepper
    Two 8 oz jars grape leaves in brine, rinsed well & blanched in boiling water 2-3 minutes until pliable.
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    3 TBL fresh lemon juice
    1 lemon, thinly sliced

In a large skillet, heat oil & saute the onion until translucent. Crumble meat & add to onion, stirring until lightly browned. Add rice, dill, pine nuts, water & tomato paste. Season to taste with pepper. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
    Cover bottom of Dutch oven with layer of grape leaves. Stuff remaining leaves by placing leaf shiny side down on the palm of your hand, with base of leaf toward your wrist & the tip toward the fingers. Place a spoon of meat mixture in the center. Fold leaf over stuffing like an envelope, tucking edges in snugly. roll up & tuck tip of leaf under to prevent unrolling. Arrange, tip side down in the pan.
    Add broth to within 1" of the top layer in Dutch oven. Use any leftover leaves to cover the top layer. Place a plate upside down over top layer & press. Cover & cook on medium heat until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Garnish w/lemon slices & serve hot & cold.~~Bound to Please

• lindac
    16 years ago

Miussaka? My fave!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: moussaka

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

MAKE-AHEAD LAMB AND RICE

1 cup uncooked brown rice
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    1 lb. lean ground lamb
    3 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into 1/4" dice to make about 1 1/2 cups (reserve tomato juices)
    1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives
    1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1 Tbs. fresh chopped mint
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    2 medium-sized onions, coarsely chopped
    1 Tbs. pine nuts
    1 Tbs. minced garlic
    1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup chicken broth or tomato juice (optional)
    1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese

Cook rice according to package directions, adding bouillon cube to water; set aside.

In a nonstick skillet, saute lamb over medium heat until browned through, breaking up while cooking; set aside.

Place tomatoes (and their juices), olives, parsley, mint, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, pine nuts and zucchini. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

Add rice, lamb and zucchini mixture to the bowl; fold all ingredients together well. (If mixture seems dry, add chicken broth or tomato juice to moisten.) At this point mixture can be covered and refrigerated up to three days.

To serve hot, place in large shallow casserole dish, sprinkle with feta cheese and bake, loosely covered at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, just long enough to heat through. Or heat on high power of microwave for about 4 minutes and sprinkle with cheese before serving.

Can also be served at room temperature.