Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: looking for: best macaroni shells brand

Posted by mangomoon (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 13:48

Are all macaroni shells the same, or does anyone have a preference for one brand over the other? I am looking for elbow macaroni shells for mac and cheese and cold mac salad, but instead of buying and experimenting with several brands, I thought I would ask if anyone uses a brand that is best, in their opinion. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: looking for: best macaroni shells brand

I always use Barilla brand pasta but I can't honestly say if any other brand is better or not! Just my habit, that's all. They now have a "plus" style pasta that's supposed to be healthier than plain white pasta - so that's what I usually buy - I don't know if they have shells in that style but it tastes good to us.

o

I don't notice a huge difference. I use Barilla of Ronzoni a lot but used to use Creamettes for my macaroni salad. I just look for the size I prefer. I try my best to stay away from anything labeled "healthy." :)

o

LOL Ginger - you can always add a cream sauce to anything labeled 'healthy' should you feel the need!

o

Elbow macaroni and shells are 2 different things.
For all pasta I prefer R and F....but not sure if they are still in business. Barilla is a little "flourey" to me....but since it's made just up the street from me, it's what I see mostly here.
Linda C

o

For pasta salads and mac & cheese, I like the Creamette !
It's a brand of elbow macaroni that has been around for years and years, and I find it best for the recipe uses mentioned. Otherwise, our regular choice is DeCecco.

o

When buying elbow macaroni, Creamette is a good brand. But I have a bunch of FREE Barilla coupons so that is what I have been buying for spaghetti.

o

A personal trainer once told me that Creamette brand is actually the healthiest by ingredients. Growing up it was the only brand my Nana would use for Mac and cheese or macaroni salad.

o

Lindac, Yes R&F is still in business. Great pasta.

o

Barilla fan here!

o

Never heard of these brands before! LOL

Here, we have Primo, Catelli, Italipasta, Lancia

o

"Never heard of these brands before! LOL
Here, we have Primo, Catelli, Italipasta, Lancia"

R&F Pasta Company is located in the "Hill" area of St. Louis MO. It' a midwest favorite. R&F stands for Ravarino & Freschi. The Hill is the section of the city where the majority of the Italians migrated to when they came to St. Louis. It has a strong Italian presence to this day. Joe Garagiola and Yogi Berra grew up on "the Hill".

o

Barilla or DeCecco...

o

It has depended on where I lived. Not on any other factor and that is weird when I think of it.

When we lived in Montana, it was Creamette.
When we lived in Virginia, it was Barilla.
When we lived in California, it was Lunardi Homemade.
When we lived in Washington, it was Angelina's
When we lived in New Mexico, it was DeCecco.
Now, I buy Barilla and DeCecco most of the time, and I love Creamettes too.

I have a friend who cannot eat wheat products and at her home, she uses rice and other grains that make the pasta. She gets one that is a mix from a local natural foods store that is delicious! It is buckwheat, and rice.. and soemthing else. The color is ugly, the flavor is delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here