Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

LOOKING for: looking for: best macaroni shells brand

mangomoon
16 years ago

Are all macaroni shells the same, or does anyone have a preference for one brand over the other? I am looking for elbow macaroni shells for mac and cheese and cold mac salad, but instead of buying and experimenting with several brands, I thought I would ask if anyone uses a brand that is best, in their opinion. Thanks

Comments (13)

• woodie
    16 years ago

I always use Barilla brand pasta but I can't honestly say if any other brand is better or not! Just my habit, that's all. They now have a "plus" style pasta that's supposed to be healthier than plain white pasta - so that's what I usually buy - I don't know if they have shells in that style but it tastes good to us.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I don't notice a huge difference. I use Barilla of Ronzoni a lot but used to use Creamettes for my macaroni salad. I just look for the size I prefer. I try my best to stay away from anything labeled "healthy." :)

• woodie
    16 years ago

LOL Ginger - you can always add a cream sauce to anything labeled 'healthy' should you feel the need!

• lindac
    16 years ago

Elbow macaroni and shells are 2 different things.
    For all pasta I prefer R and F....but not sure if they are still in business. Barilla is a little "flourey" to me....but since it's made just up the street from me, it's what I see mostly here.
    Linda C

• lisbet
    16 years ago

For pasta salads and mac & cheese, I like the Creamette !
    It's a brand of elbow macaroni that has been around for years and years, and I find it best for the recipe uses mentioned. Otherwise, our regular choice is DeCecco.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

When buying elbow macaroni, Creamette is a good brand. But I have a bunch of FREE Barilla coupons so that is what I have been buying for spaghetti.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

A personal trainer once told me that Creamette brand is actually the healthiest by ingredients. Growing up it was the only brand my Nana would use for Mac and cheese or macaroni salad.

• tom_k_mo
    16 years ago

Lindac, Yes R&F is still in business. Great pasta.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Barilla fan here!

• khandi
    16 years ago

Never heard of these brands before! LOL

Here, we have Primo, Catelli, Italipasta, Lancia

• tom_k_mo
    16 years ago

"Never heard of these brands before! LOL
    Here, we have Primo, Catelli, Italipasta, Lancia"

R&F Pasta Company is located in the "Hill" area of St. Louis MO. It' a midwest favorite. R&F stands for Ravarino & Freschi. The Hill is the section of the city where the majority of the Italians migrated to when they came to St. Louis. It has a strong Italian presence to this day. Joe Garagiola and Yogi Berra grew up on "the Hill".

• bbqbear
    16 years ago

Barilla or DeCecco...

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

It has depended on where I lived. Not on any other factor and that is weird when I think of it.

When we lived in Montana, it was Creamette.
    When we lived in Virginia, it was Barilla.
    When we lived in California, it was Lunardi Homemade.
    When we lived in Washington, it was Angelina's
    When we lived in New Mexico, it was DeCecco.
    Now, I buy Barilla and DeCecco most of the time, and I love Creamettes too.

I have a friend who cannot eat wheat products and at her home, she uses rice and other grains that make the pasta. She gets one that is a mix from a local natural foods store that is delicious! It is buckwheat, and rice.. and soemthing else. The color is ugly, the flavor is delicious!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County