Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Chick pea stew

Posted by mandogirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 12:56

This is a hearty flavorful vegetarian stew. It's a diet recipe I tweaked heavily to make it taste less "diet." Still very low in fat. Makes 2 large main dish portions.

olive oil
white onion, chopped, about a cup
garlic, 2-3 cloves, minced
1 15-oz can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
salt
pepper
cumin, to your preference (I use about a tablespoon)
chili powder, to your preference (I shake in maybe 2 teaspoons worth 'cause I like spice)
1 bell pepper, any color you like, diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
hot pepper sauce (few shakes) if desired
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cous cous

Warm a couple teaspoons of olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pot (calphalon hard adonized or le crueset work well). Add diced onion & minced garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Add drained chick peas and spices. Saute for a few minutes until onions are soft. Add bell pepper & tomatoes. Cook till things start to get bubbly. Add tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce. I also add some more cumin, salt & pepper at this point. Bring to a boil. I like to let it simmer covered on med-low till the bell pepper starts to get tender...maybe 15 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup cous cous. Turn heat down as low as possible (or off) and cover. Let sit until the cous cous is cooked and much of the liquid is absorbed...about 5 or 10 minutes, but the longer you can let it sit the better it gets!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Chick pea stew

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good to me, I like all of these flavors and it still sounds healthy - I don't think you could have tweaked it too much :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here