Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

LOOKING for: Your favorite pot roast recipe - slow cookr or pres

cookingrvc
16 years ago

Looking for your favorite crockpot or pressure cooker recipes for pot roast. It's cold with lots of snow on the ground, a perfect time to indulge in comfort food.

thanks,

sue

Comments (3)

• khandi
    16 years ago

I do mine in a slow cooker. I make holes in the roast and insert garlic cloves. Sprinkle outside of roast with about 1 tsp oregano and black pepper. Let sit overnight in refrigerator (optional).

In a hot skillet with a little oil, sear all sides of the roast and transfer to crockpot. To same skillet, add chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add 1/2 cup medium-bodied red wine and deglaze the pan; transfer to crockpot. Add about 3 tablespoons of onion soup mix to 1-1/2 cups beef broth; mix well and add to crockpot. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or on High for 4-5 hours. Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Transfer broth from the crockpot to a saucepan and thicken with a slurry (cornstarch and water). Cook until thickened. You don't even have to cut the roast, just flake off pieces with a fork.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

This recipe from the Moderator of the Yahoo Pressure Cooker Group is very easy. I mix the mix envelopes and use 1/2 to 2/3 of the total as it can be a little too salty for me and I usually have less than 5 lb. of meat.

Ray's 3 Envelope Pot Roast

1 5 lb. beef pot roast (or smaller to fit in your size cooker)
    1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1 envelope brown gravy mix

1 1/2 cups water or beef broth

Brown roast on all sides in a little oil. Put in pressure cooker and sprinkle mixed dry seasonings from the mixes all over the top. Add water, a little on the top and the rest down the sides. Put on cover to pot and cook under pressure for a pot roast according to your cooker's manual.

Let pressure decrease naturally and safely remove the lid. Transfer beef to a platter and keep warm. Thicken juices in the pot with a cornstarch and cold water slurry. Add roast back in and heat. Serve hot with extra gravy from the pot in a bowl.

Teresa

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ladies, will try those next time (after posting it occurred to me that I actually had a cookbook for pressure cooking!!!

The roast was just over 4 lbs and although it said to cook it for an hour, it was not tender enough so i cooked it for another hour, which did the job.

It was my first attempt at using the pressure cooker and aside from being afraid it might explode, it all went pretty well. Next...chicken stock.

s

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living