Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaime202

LOOKING for: German Chocolate Cake

jaime202
17 years ago

My husband loves German Chocolate Cake and I can't seem to find a recipe that is entirely from scratch. Everything calls for a mix! I just can't hardly bring myself to use shortcuts in cooking. If anyone has a completely homemade version of this wonderful cake I would be more than happy to try it! Thanks!

Comments (3)

• lisbet
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

German Sweet Chocolate Cake

1 package (4 oz.) Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
    1/2 cup boiling water
    2 cups sugar
    4 egg yolks
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 1/2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butttermilk
    4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

*Coconut Pecan Frosting*:
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1 cup sugar
    3 slightly beaten egg yolks
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/3 cups Bakers Angel Flake Coconut
    1 cup pecans

Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in vanilla and chocolate. Sift flour with soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites.

Pour into three 8- or 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool. Frost tops only.

FOR FROSTING: Combine evaporated milk, sugar, slightly beaten yolks, butter (or margarine), and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened - about 12 minutes. Add the Baker's Angel Flake Coconut and cup of chopped pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread; beat occasionally. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Source:
    "from Baker's German Sweet Chocolate wraper"

Spago's Chocolate Chiffon 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1 cup all\-purpose flour 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 4 eggs \-\- separated 2 egg whites 1/2 cup vegetable oil (SEE NOTE) 1/2 cup water 1 teaspoon vanilla extract NOTE: Recipe has been printed in various places with 3/4 cups of oil. Cake is softer but tends to sink in middle. Cake can also be made in a bundt pan. Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or coat with vegetable spray and line with parchment round one 9\-inch round cake pan. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess flour. Set aside. Sift together 1 cup sugar, the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, with paddle or beaters, beat the egg yolks at hight speed. Turn speed to low and pour in the oil, water and vanilla. Gradually add the sifted ingredients, and when almost incorporated turn speed to medium and beat until well combined. Remove bowl from machine. In another clean large bowl, with whip or beaters, whip the 6 egg whites until soft peaks form. Start on medium speed and raise speed as peaks begin to form. Gradually pour in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and whip until whites are shiny and firm but not stiff. (Soft peak stage) With a rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then scrape the choloate mixture back imto the whites, quickly folding until completely incorporated. Scrape into the prepared pan and bake until edges of the cake pull away from the pan and a tester, gently inserted into the center of the cake, comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack. To remove, run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan to loosen cake. Invert onto rack. Place 9\-inch cardboard round on cake and invert cake onto round Serving Ideas : Basic for German Chocolate Cake
  • danain
    17 years ago

Jamie, I have two and they are both good. The first is the one my Grandma made years ago and it's our family favorite, very moist. I know it doesn't indicate German Chocolate but it taste German Chocolate. I prefer the frosting for the second one.

{{gwi:2044523}} (Grandma Greens German Chocolate Cake)

2 tablespoons cocoa
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons soda
    1 cup shortening
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans; set aside.

Combine cocoa, flour, salt and soda; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl cream shortening, sugar and eggs (about 2 minutes at medium speed using an electric mixer). Alternately add the buttermilk and flour mixture to creamed mixture (begin and end with buttermilk), beating just until incorporated. Add vanilla and pour into prepared pans. Bake about 30 minutes, until cake test done. Cool 10 minutes on racks before removing from pans to cool completely.

Frost and fill with the following, Heavenly Hash Frosting :

2 cups sugar
    2 eggs; slightly beaten
    1 cup Half & Half
    2 1/2 cups coconut
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Cook sugar, eggs and Half & Half over medium-low heat while stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and add coconut, nuts and vanilla. Cool until spreading consistency stirring with a spoon occasionally. Spread between layers and over top of cake.

Marilyn

German Chocolate Cake

4 oz. German chocolate
    2 1/3 cup sifted cake flour
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup butter
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs

Melt chocolate over low heat; cool. Sift flour, sugar, soda, salt and baking powder. Stir butter in bowl to soften. Add flour mixture, 3/4 cup buttermilk and vanilla. Mix to moisten. Beat 2 minutes at medium. Add chocolate, eggs and remaining buttermilk. Beat one minute. Pour into 3 layer pans, lined on bottoms with parchment or waxed paper. Bake at 350° 30 to 35 minutes.

Coconut Pecan Frosting

1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (13 oz. Can)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    3/4 cup butter
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups coconut
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Combine milk, sugar, yolks, butter and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add coconut and pecans. Cool until spreading consistency beating with spoon occasionally. Place between layers and on top.

Marilyn

• lisbet
    17 years ago

My Apology: I accidentally omitted the butter shortening from my >German Sweet Chocolate Cake1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened.

Please forgive me!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH