Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Cheese suggestion

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 11:48

I need a suggestion on a Spanish style cheese that would work well on a hamburger. I also want to be able to easily purchase it. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Cheese suggestion

Manchego comes to mind. Or maybe a pepper jack.

Guess it will depend on what result you are hoping to achieve.

Linda

o

Is Manchengo a melting cheese?

o

All cheese is a "melting cheese" if it's "real" and not low fat or processed.
Manchego comes well aged and not so well aged....you will have to try both to see what you like.
Maybe provlone would work....even though it's not Spanish.
Linda C

o

Here is a website with SPANISH CHEESE information.

o

Thanks for the website!!!

o

Here in Spain we tend to use slices of softer non-Spanish cheeses such as Emmenthal, Edam or Gouda for to melt on sandwiches or hamburgers. Manchego comes in three stages of maturity: fresh - (tierno), half cured (semi-curado) or cured (curado). It's used mostly for eating sliced or as an aperitif with sherry etc. or using the cured or semi-cured as grated. You could try the semi-cured, although it's not exactly a melting cheese. I have read that the Mexican version of Manchego is used for melting though.

Mahon cheese is another nice one from the island of Menora, but again it might go rubbery if you try to melt it. It depends what Spanish cheese you are able to buy there and why you would want a Spanish cheese for putting on a hamburger.

Here's another good list of Spanish cheeses. Although the text is in Spanish, you can see from which animal the milk comes, goat, sheep or cow.
Some cheeses are made from a mixture of milk from two or three different animals.

SharonCb

o

Thanks great info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here