Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuffs054

RECIPE: Shabu Shabu

cuffs054
16 years ago

My brother loves this. It seems really easy. I'm wondering if you can use shrimp and/or scallops. He says they use different kinds of broth and vary the meats/vegs.

My first attempt at cheese fondue (ya, I'm a little late) was awful. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Don't know nuffin' 'bout no Shabu Shabu....but cheese fondue is really easy....what did you do that made it so bad...?
    Use Kraft singles?

• cuffs054
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I used some "frufru" recipe with $15.00 with of imported cheese. My brother set me straight!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Don't know from Shabu Shabu either but here is an excellent Cheese Fondue recipe.

Cheese Fondue

2 Tbl cornstarch or potato flour
    1/4 Cup kirsch (cherry brandy)
    1 Clove garlic
    1 1/2 Cup dry white wine
    12 ounces shredded Emmentaler cheese
    12 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
    1/4 Tsp white pepper
    1/4 Tsp nutmeg

Combine the cornstarch and kirsch. Set aside. Slice the garlic in half lengthwise and rub the cut side over the inside of a medium, heavy saucepan. Discard the garlic. Pour the wine into the saucepan and bring it to a boil over a medium-high heat. Immediately reduce the heat to low.

Add the cheese to the wine by handfuls and stir slowly until the cheese is just melted. (Stirring in a figure-8 or zigzag motion prevents the cheese from clumping.) Stir in the cornstarch mixture, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for two or three minutes until it begins to thicken, but do not let it boil. Transfer to a warmed ceramic fondue pot and serve immediately. Keep warm over a very low flame.

This original/traditional cheese fondue recipe is still best served with the original dipper; serve with 2 to 3 loaves of crusty French bread, cut into 1 cubes. Serves 6. ~

NOTE: Besides bread I have also served blanched cauliflower, broccoli, chunks of lean kielbasa and mini pirogi that have been cooked and cooled.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Oh my...now see what you have gone and done Linda. I think cuffs thinks that she should have used Kraft slices.....I don't think that was your intent..... I know it wasn't!! LOL

Cuff's, Linda was jabbing you, being her ever bratty self....you need to use really good cheese for fondue. Good cheese ain't cheap but it's a must in fondue.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Are you thinking of sukiyaki? Thats basically thin sliced beef (shabu shabu) in a broth. A key ingredient is yam noodles.

One time I wandered into my local Japanese store and collared a shopper (Japanese) who didn't speak English. Perfect. Using sign language she helped me buy sukiyaki ingredients.

I later heard from a Japanese friend about this crazy gaijin (white) woman who accosted one of her friends in the market. Good laugh when we figured out the connection!

Here is a link that might be useful: One google result for sukiyaki

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Wait try this - 'shabu-shabu'. You get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: another food network link

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Gross understatement!

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Shabu Shabu is not Sukiyaki. In the case of Shabu Shabu, a variety of vegetables, tofu, noodles and paper thin meats are served on a platter, and guests use chopsticks (or forks, natch) to swish pieces of meat through simmering broth, and the meats are then dipped in a variety of dipping sauces. The vegetables, which take longer, are dropped in to be retrieved by the diner later. After everyone is done, the broth is served as an after-soup with some slivered green onions and noodles. Traditional Shabu Shabu calls for a very simple broth, made by simmering kelp in water. Many recipes substitute either a light court bouillon or chicken stock, which is more familiar to the Western palate.

In Sukiyaki, a similar process is observed, but the ingredients are simmered in a broth made of dashi (a very light fish broth), soy sauce, mirin (sweet rice wine) and sugar. Traditionally, each diner gets a small bowl in which to crack a raw egg, which is beaten with their chopsticks and used as the dipping sauce. The amount of sugar can vary wildly from recipe to recipe, depending on the region of origin. Some versions have only a light sweetening, while Yokohama style, for example can be quite sweet, probably because, being a port, it's residents would have easier access to sugar imports. It is not common to drink the broth afterwards, as it is quite salty from the soy, but some people do.

I speak of "traditional" Shabu Shabu and Sukiyaki, but their actual history is quite short. Beef was not part of the Japanese diet before the 1860s.Sukiyaki became popular in the early 20th century, and Shabu Shabu was actually introduced to Japan in 1948.

I don't use a recipe when cooking these dishes, as I learned to cook them working at a Japanese restaurant where nobody ever measured anything. However, I have found a couple of basic recipes that seem well written.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabu Shabu