Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Help please. Needs to go in oven before back to work to

Posted by rottenlivia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 9:58

day.whew...

I had a 4 to 5 pound venison tip roast given to me yesterday and I thawed it overnight. I would like to have it for dinner by 7 this evening. I have never cooked venison before but have eaten it. Love it. Can someone give me help? Dry heat or potroasted? Garlic, onions, much as for beef? Or different? Can I use wine to marinade? My time is short but company looms for evening. Please hellllp!
:) You've never let me down ever!
Thanks, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Help please. Needs to go in oven before back to work

I would potroast it....because you don't say what you know about the animal...tough old trophy buck...or nice tender doe.
If you dry roast it...you won't want to be cooking it all day.
I would top it with onions, garlic, celery carrots a goodly slosh of wine and put it into a 225 oven to cook most of the day...
Linda C

o

I knew it! I had faith!

Thank you so much! This will go in about 2o'clock. Nice and slow. I knew I could count on someone being kind to me...this brutally cold weather we are having calls for something hearty, rustic and delicious. Aroma, aroma, know what I mean? Thanks again. So grateful.
Kim

o

Lots of onion and if you need more liquid, use beef broth.

Nancy

o

My mother makes this. I don't eat deer but my parents both say it's very good. My dad was a hunter and fisherman all his life - those were his hobbies.

Savory Venison Stew

1 lb deer stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 slices bacon, chopped
cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups water
1 beef bouillon cube
cup tomato juice
cup Port or dry red wine
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp steak sauce (optional)
tsp marjoram
4 small onions
4 carrots, cut into chunks
4 potatoes, quartered
1 cup chopped celery
Salt and pepper

Fry bacon in a Dutch oven. Add cubed meat that has been tossed in seasoned flour; brown on all sides. Add garlic, water, bouillon cube, tomato juice, wine, lemon juice, steak sauce, and marjoram.

Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, until meat starts to tenderize. Add more water if necessary.

Add onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover and simmer for another hour, until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Thicken stew slightly by sprinkling flour over the top and stirring while cooking. Serves 4.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here