Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Lost my Irish Soda Bread recipe help!!!

eileenlaunonen
17 years ago

Anyone have a T&T mine was made W/ buttermilk raisins no seed and ended up with the inside kinda like a cake like consistency! HELP!

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Try this one & omit the caraway. I omit the raisins.

HOBART'S IRISH SODA BREAD
    4 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 TBL baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup butter
    2 cups dark raisins
    1 TBL caraway seeds
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups buttermilk

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture has teh consistency of coarse cornmeal. Stir in the raisins & caraway seeds. Gradualy add teh egg & 1 1/2 cups of the buttermilk, stirring to b lend. The batter should not be dry so you might need to add about 1/4 cup more buttermilk. Knead briefly & put into 2 greased 8" round cake pans. Cut a bold cross on top of each & bake in a preheated 375° oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.~~Rumsey Rare Bites

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Oh, and be sure to check out the Cooking forum. :)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I'd leave out the raisins but leave in the caraway........I really like their flavor.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Traditional Irish soda bread is just flour, sour milk or butter milk, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda...some people add raisins for fancy or tea bread.

The recipe I use is 3 1/2 cups flour..my grandmother used cake flour...I prefer 1/2 cake flour and 1/2 all purpose.
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    8 to 10 oz butter milk

Mix the dry ingredients ( it's important to get the baking soda well mixed with the flour)
    add the butter milk...stir quickly, dump onto a lightly floured board...knead for no more than 30 seconds...shape into a rough round on a baking sheet...or a peel so you can slide it onto your stone, cut the traditional cross into the top and bake at 450 for 10 minutes, turn oven to 400, or 375 if bread is browning fast and bake for another 30 minutes.
    If you are using raisins, mix them with the flour before adding the buttermilk...and if you use raisins you will need 10 oz of buttermilk, because the raisins will absorb some.
    I think I have enough buttermilk...and we are having an ice storm...maybe I NEED soms soda bread....with raisins!
    Linda C

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Funny, some of the Irish soda bread we had in Ireland had caraway seeds in it.......guess it is like goulash.....every family has a different recipe.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

This is the one I make for my Irish DIL when she's feeling a little homesick. She says it takes her right back home!

Soda Bread
    3 cups wholemeal flour
    1 cup plain white flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    60g butter or lard
    500ml buttermilk, sour milk or milk

Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease and lightly flour a baking tray. Combine dry ingredients, rub in butter. Make a well in the centre and gradually add enough milk to make a soft mixture which is not too wet. Mix until the dough is spongy. Flour your hands and knead the dough lightly on a floured surface. Shape into an oval loaf about 5cm thick. Place on baking tray. Brush with a little milk and slash the top in 2-3 places with a sharp knife. Bake for 50 minutes. If a smaller loaf is required, divide the mixture into two equal portions and bake for 20 minutes. Best eaten while still warm, but it will keep for several days.

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Eileen, here is a recipe from a few years ago that someone else with the name Eileen was looking for.

Posted by
    Eileen
    (ecr531@webtv.net) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 01 at 9:18

Hi all....
    I am looking for a recipe for a yeast free bread, due to a yeast allergy. I know others have used baking soda. Can anyone help? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
    RE: LOOKING for: yeast free breads?

clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by
    Jane
    (jakeandjane@accesswave.ca) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 01 at 22:57

Eileen:
    Here's a bread recipe I found that uses baking soda AND baking powder. Haven't made it yet so don't know what it is like, but the reviews for it sounded OK. I got it from epicurious.com, searching under bread. (BTW, most Irish soda breads use baking soda instead of yeast.)
    If you want a regular-shaped loaf of bread, bake it in a loaf pan. There would probably be a slight change in the baking time so keep a close eye on it.

Jane

IRISH SODA BREAD - A perennial favorite on both sides of the Atlantic, this raisiny bread makes fine, fragrant toast.

4 cups bread flour
    1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup raisins or dried currants, rinsed in hot water and patted dry
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    2 cups buttermilk

Into a large bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and the baking soda and stir in the raisins and the caraway seeds.
    Add the buttermilk and stir the mixture until it forms a dough.
    Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute.
    Halve the dough, with floured hands shape each half into a round loaf, and transfer the loaves to a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut an X 1/4 inch deep across the tops of the loaves with a sharp knife.
    Bake the loaves in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
    Transfer the loaves to racks and let them cool.

Makes 2 loaves.

Gourmet
    October 1991

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Yes, that was from the Special Diets forum.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found mine finally...it was my Grandma Kelly's thank goodness...Today my daughter danced in her first Irsih step dancing compitition...Im so Irish Proud of her!!!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Good for her. Could you post your Grandma's recipe, please?

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Eileen, congratulations to your daughter. I'd also be interested in your Grandma's recipe for the soda bread, St. Pat's is coming up fast you know!

Annie

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County