Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Your best decadent rich thick brownie!!!

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

So.... im in search of a T&T thick rich chocolately brownie with a thick chocolate frosting...In the past I have tried several brownie recipes which just didnt work and Ive resorted to the local bakery. We tend to like the ones that are thick and have chocolate chip chunks inside...the kids were haunting me for brownies and to there surprised faces I had to say I dont have a good recipe. Please share a T&T

Comments (3)

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Without a doubt, Ann's brownies are our favorite.

DECADENT BROWNIES (Ann T)
    1 cup butter
    20 ounces chocolate
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    pinch of salt
    4 eggs
    1 cup flour
    vanilla to taste
    1 cup toasted pecans

OPTIONS:
    Use 3/4 cup brown and 3/4 cup white sugar

Add a shot of real espresso

These are my all time favourite brownies. If you like a fudge style brownie then you will love these.

I've played around with this recipe for a number of years. I call it Decadent because of the 20 ounces of chocolate in the batter.

Rather than melt butter with the chocolate and then add the sugar. I melted the butter and the sugar together and then added all the chocolate. I also used a combination of brown and white sugar and I think the flavour is even richer. I edited the recipe to show the change.

And I topped some of them with a glaze. But decided that they are decadent enough without the glaze. The glaze is just overkill and unnecessary.

They freeze well. I usually cut them into bars, wrap in plastic wrap and put them into a freezer bag. Easy to pull out a bar when a chocolate craving hits.

Line a 13 X 9 inch rectangle pan with foil and butter.

Melt butter and sugar together over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the chocolate and stir until
    chocolate melts. Continuing stirring until the mixture is smooth.

Remove from the heat.

Add one egg at a time and mix well using a wooden spoon.

Add vanilla (and espresso if using).

Stir in flour and salt and mix well. Stir in the pecans or walnuts and pour into prepared pan. Bake in a 350 °F for approximately 30 minutes.
    Do not over bake. Brownies should be set in the middle but still slightly soft. Place immediately in the freezer. When cold, remove
    and cut into bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but it's great.

CHOCOLATE-FROSTED BROWNIES

A cross between fudgy and cake-like brownies, these extra-thick bar cookies are sure to satisfy the most serious chocolate lovers.

1-1/2 cups butter, cut up
    1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    6 large eggs
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tblsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 cups walnut pieces

Frosting:
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
    1/4 cup butter
    1-1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
    3 Tblsp. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350° F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, letting foil extend at ends. Grease foil.

For the brownies, microwave the 1-1/2 cups butter on 100 percent power (High) in a large microwave-proof bowl 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until melted. Whisk in cocoa until smooth; let stand 15 minutes to cool. Whisk granulated sugar into chocolate mixture until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition, until blended. Stir in flour, 1 Tblsp. vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in walnut pieces. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

For the frosting, microwave chocolate and the 1/4 cup butter in a small microwave-proof bowl on 100 percent power (High) 1-1/2 minutes; stir until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add confectioners sugar, milk and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Beat on low speed of electric mixer to blend, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and spreadable.

• khandi
    16 years ago

I made these at Christmas and they disappeared quickly. Everyone commented on them!

Toffee Pecan Brownies

(Ginger St_Thomas @ GW)

Brownies:

4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    ½ cup unsalted butter
    1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
    1 Tbsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp salt
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    ¾ cup flour
    1 cup chopped Skor bars (I used toffee bits)

Brown Sugar Topping:

1 cup packed light brown sugar
    ¼ cup whipping cream
    1 Tbsp unsalted butter
    ¾ tsp vanilla
    ½ cup chopped pecans

For the brownies, line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the sides. Combine the chocolate and butter in a saucepan, and cook over low heat until blended, stirring constantly. Cool 5 minutes.

Whisk in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Whisk for 2 minutes or until smooth. Add the flour, whisking just until blended. Stir in the chopped candy bars (I chilled the candy and chopped them in a processor.) Spoon into the prepared pan, smoothing the surface.
    Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

For the topping, combine the brown sugar, whipping cream, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla. Let stand 10 minutes. Whisk until of spreading consistency. Stir in the pecans. Spread over the brownies. Let stand 1 hour or until set.

Serve cold or at room temperature. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.