Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Tomato Leek Soup

Posted by khandi (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 8:15

I'm looking for a recipe for a tomato and leek soup. We go to this restaurant where the owner's wife makes all the soups homemade. My daughter absolutely LOVES this soup! At $5 a bowl, it better be good! LOL I've never cooked with leeks. All I know is that you cut them in half lengthwise and open it up a little to get the sand out. Any help in making this soup would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Tomato Leek Soup

Was it a creamy soup? Or a clear broth?
Linda C

o

There was no cream in it. Was like a clear tomatoee broth, if that makes any sense! LOL There were no "chunks" of tomato, it was I figured pureed... maybe in a beef broth? Not sure.

o

I would clean the leeks (2 small...about 1 inch around) by washing well, cutting in half length wise and washing. Then cut them into 1/4 inch chunks aross the leek. only thwe white part and the very pale green..
You ahould have about 1 1/4 cups...
Cut up about 3 stalks of celery the same way...to equal about 1;/2 a cup.
Sautee leeks and celery in half a stick of butter until soft....when almost done add 3 cloves of minced garlic ( don't use powder or garlic salt)
When the veggies are soft add the tomatoes from a 32 oz can of diced tomatoes ( SAVE THE JUICE!!) Stir and continut sauteeing for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often....then add the tomato juice from the can and a can of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of a dry red wine ( not port!) like a shiraz, merlot or a burgundy or cabernet... simmer another 15 minutes or so and add a generous teaspoon of chopped fresh basil.
When I do it I also add about 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers. If you are using your own...that would be 1 large pepper, roasted peeled and sliced...or a 6 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained if you are buying.
If you do it in tomato juice, your broth will be cloudy...like tomato juice. This will be mostly a clear broth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Linda C

o

Thanks. It sounds good to me!

Re "a can of chicken broth", are you talking about a 10 ounce can? - sometimes regular product sizes are different from U.S. and Canada.

o

Just a note, I use the green part of the leek too (just not the very tips, which are usually tough and dried or damaged). If you slice them across the fibers, they are more than tender. I think we are always told not to use them simply because they are dark green, and "leek" items are usually white/cream to pale green concoctions where dark green flecks might not be as pretty.

And when it comes to leeks, "a bit of sand" is like saying there is a bit of sand at the beach! Especially in the green and light green portions.

o

Yeah....10 oz can...or in home made terms...a cup and a half.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here