Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
copanolady

LOOKING for: Layered chicken & jelled cranberry salad

copanolady
17 years ago

I would love to find a recipe for a layered chicken salad I once tasted at an open house. I don't remember if there was a third layer but I do remember chicken salad on the bottom and jellied cranberry sauce on top.

I politely took a small sample because I thought the top layer was tomato but after tasting it I could have eaten the whole thing! This was years ago and I've never seen a recipe like it - I even tried the Ocean Spray website with no luck. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I don't know what you are talking about...but it would be easy enough to do.
    Make chicken salad....then cook a 12 oz package of cranberries with a cup of sugar and a cup of water for about 15 minutes until all the berries have popped, run through a food mill or rub through a strainer...or just leave whole. Allow to cool until just warm but not set....and spoon over the chicken salad. That amount of berries ought to cover an 8 inch square pan nicely.
    Linda C

• copanolady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, it had the look and consistency of tomato aspic which is why I hesitated - don't really care for any aspic - celery, tomato, whatever. It wasn't just cranberry sauce out of a can either. I also remember what was I think was a thin layer of something crunchy, like almonds, crushed chips, I dunno.

Of course I could do my own thing but I just hoped someone might have the recipe from one of those regional or church or school fundraising cookbooks.

• blizlady
    17 years ago

I found this first recipe at Recipelink.com. The second one is from Cooks.com, but seems to be missing directions for the second step. In that recipe, the cranberry layer had pecans and crushed pineapple so maybe that is the one you remembered with the added "crunch"

Cranberry Chicken Salad (from recipelink.com)

FIRST LAYER
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c. cold water
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1/4 c. mayonnaise
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    1 c. diced cooked chicken
    1/4 c. chopped celery
    1 tbsp. chopped onion
    Pepper to taste

SECOND LAYER
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c. cold water
    1 lb. can jellied cranberry sauce

Method: First layer: Sprinkle gelatin on cold water to soften. Place over low heat; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Blend soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice; stir in gelatin. Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in remaining ingredients. Pour into 1 1/2 quart mold. Chill until almost firm. Second layer: Sprinkle gelatin on cold water to soften. Place over low heat; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Crush cranberry sauce with fork; add gelatin. Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Pour on top of chicken layer. Chill until firm. Unmold. Serve on crisp lettuce. Serves 6 to 8.

CHICKEN CRANBERRY SALAD
    Printed from COOKS.COM

2 env. Knox gelatin
    2 cans whole berry cranberry sauce
    2 (8 oz.) cans crushed pineapple
    2/3 c. chopped pecans
    2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

SECOND LAYER:

2 env. Knox gelatin
    2 c. Hellmann's real mayonnaise
    6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    4 c. cooked, diced white chicken meat
    2 c. finely chopped celery
    4 tbsp. chopped parsley

Mix all ingredients in layer 1 together and pour into a 9x13 pan and chill until firm.
    (here is where there must be some missing directions. Maybe the chicken layer is placed on top of the cranberry layer and then inverted on a platter after chilling. No other directions are given)

• copanolady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Blizlady -

Those are good recipes and I intend to try them both - the first one sounds likely but I like the combination of crushed pineapple and pecans. I have an old WW's recipe that calls for pineapple and instant pistachio pudding and plain vogurt. Simple but delicious - I think I'll go make some right now. Anyway, I really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how they turn out. Either one could be what I'm looking for.
    I'm not familar with either of those links but will visit them soon and see what else they have.

• HU-409696248
    3 years ago

It was in Knox booklet in the 60's and I lost it and have been looking ever since. Made in loaf and