Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Recipe software

Posted by fredinva (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 23:24

Are you using computer software to store your recipes?
Years ago my wife used MasterCook, but that personal confuser crashed and we couldn't reload it on our new OS.
what's a good program if you are using one?

thx in advance,fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Recipe software

I have Master Cook on my PC....but have also devised my own method that is more convenient for me.

I buy blank CD's for my "E:-drive". Label each one with a catagory (Cakes, Meats, Vegetables, etc) Whenever I come to a recipe that I would like to keep, I copy (or paste) it into "my documents." Then when I have the inclination, I move it from documents onto the accordingly labeled CD. In that way, if I should ever get another computer.....or need to use a different PC, I would not loose my recipes.

o

Thanks for the reply.

But that brings up a point. Why buy CDs?
why not get a usb thumb drive and save them there?
fred

o

If that is a way of storing your recipes and cooking information, it is probably another good way to go.

I am not familliar with a usb thumb drive, so find the CD's more convenient for my use and purposes.....perhaps a thumb drive is a better way?

How can one find out about usb and how to use it?

o

Many Thanks, Fred, for pointing me into the right direction !!! Very helpful !

o

I have Cook'n on my computer.

o

I used to use MasterCook. But now just copy and paste a recipe or type one in a Word document and save to my portable drive, similar to lisbet saving to CDs. Each category has its own folder and then other folders within the main category folder; for example, I have a main folder labeled Sweets, inside that folder is a folder for Cakes and within that folder is a folder for Cakes from Scratch, Cakes from Mixes, Cheese, Fruit. Then there are other folders within the Sweets folder: Pies (and within that a folder each for Cream, Fruit, Nut, etc. In the Vegetable folder, there are individual folders for Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Eggplant, Crucifers, etc. You get the idea. Though this sounds cumbersome, it really isn't once the folders are set up, and it makes it very easy for me to locate a recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here