Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mst___

LOOKING for: wild rice

mst___
17 years ago

I'm looking for a wild rice recipe to use as a side dish. It can be just wild rice or a combination of rices. I will be serving this with chicken. Does anyone have a recipe to share? I'd love some ideas. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I love wild rice cooked in chicken broth with onions and mushrooms.
    For 4 to 6 servings, I cut up 1/2 a small onion and about 4 oz mushrooms both chopped fine. Sautee in a T. of butter until soft, about 6 minutes.
    In another pan, put 2 T EVOO and 3/4 cupw ild rice. Cook over medium heat until the rice "pops"...becomes sort of white-ish and expands....about 5 minutes. Add a can of chicken broth ( or a cup and a half of home made if youw ere so lucky as to have some) and bring to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer, add the sauteed onions and mushrooms, cover tightly and cook until the rice is cooked, about 30 minutes. Check after 15 minutes or so and add water is it looks like the rice is absorbing all the liquid. Some rice absorbs more than others....and some takes longer to cook.
    Add salt if needed and a bit of pepper.
    Linda C

• cookie8
    17 years ago

1 cup of wild rice with 1 container of chicken broth (1 litre size - I like the low sodium one) cook until liquid is absorbed or rice is puffed nicely (add water if it runs dry) I think I cook mine for an hour or two on a low medium heat after boiling stage
    Near the end I saute whatever vegetables I have - mushrooms, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini and mix in. It's a great way for me to get my kids to eat their veggies, especially when I chop then so fine they can't tell there are mushrooms, onions or zucchini in it. I love wild rice so any fixing or none at all is fine with me. A side of roasted chopped almonds to sprinkle on top is nice too.
    I usually rinse my wild rice before cooking. One of my favourites!

• mst___
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Linda and Cookie, Both sound good. I'm not sure if the people I'm going to make it for likes mushrooms (I know my kids don't) but if I chop them up fine they might not know they're in there.
    I haven't decided yet whether I want a white and wild rice mix or just wild rice. I'm serving it with Chicken Cordon Bleu.
    I'm interested in white and wild rice recipes if any one has one to share.
    TIA.