Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

RECIPE: Does this sound good? Any suggestions?

glenda_al
16 years ago

My water aerobics group is starting a once a month social.

After class, we go to someone's home for just the fun of it.

Need to take something, easy to make, mainly, something that can be served chilled, AS WE LEAVE STRAIGHT FROM POOL AND GO TO PERSON'S HOME.

Remember years, ago, I made for my bridge club a lemon congealed chicken salad. Found one doing a search, this one sounds tasty, but don't think I care the cream of mushroom soup. Please read the reviews, and will appreciate any suggestions. There is only ONE with lemon jello, so don't need anyone to post THAT ONE!

OR what do you have something to recommend. Remember NOTHING COMPLICATED.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: congealed chicken salad

Comments (14)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Frankly the thoughts of a cold "congealed" salad with cream of mushroom soup really sets my teeth on edge.
    Hou about a very simple chicken salad?
    Buy a 3 pound package of frozen boneless skin less chicken breasts, pack them closely in a pan with a tight lid, cover with water, add a couple of slices of onion and celery. and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink...about 25 to 35 minutes if you put the frozen chicken in the pan.
    Then, chill the chicken and chop it up.
    Add enough mayo to moisten it and add
    1/2 cup or more chopped celery, salt to taste, about a teaspoon, juice of 1/2 a lemon,
    3/4 cup green grapes cut in half ( or if you are lazy, just use a can of pineapple tidbits, drained.
    Top with a package of slivered almonds and serve.
    Not much easier than that....and you will have some chicken broth left over thay you cooked the chicken in...
    Linda C

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda C, sounds good, but not what I was looking for!

Ginger St Thomas? or anyone else?
    The lemon congealed salad I made, many years ago was a hit, and want something similar!
    boo on me for not saving recipe. Divorce happens :o(

• lindac
    16 years ago

You mean a salad made from chicken and lemon jello?

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Perhaps put just some type of good chicken salad in a mold with lemon jello made from chicken broth in place of the water. Maybe a curry/raisin/celery type salad? Just an idea. I don't do jello much.

• patti43
    16 years ago

This probably isn't the one, but it sounds pretty good. It's from the 1984 Southern Living Recipe book. I wish the aspics/molded salads would come back on the menu.

CHICKEN SALAD MOLD

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c. cold water
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. lemon gelatin
    1 c. boiling water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Dash of pepper
    1/3 c. mayonnaise
    1-1/2 c. finely diced cooked chicken
    3 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
    1/2 c. finely chopped celery
    1 (2 oz.) jar chopped pimiento, drained

Soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. Dissolve lemon gelatin in boiling water. Stir in softened gelatin mixture, salt and pepper; chill until consistency of unbeaten egg white. Add mayo; stir until blended. Fold in remaining ingredients. Pour into lightly oiled 5-cup mold. Chill until firm. Yield: 6 servings.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Patti's sounds perfect for you. I found this in an old cookbook I have but it's not the one you lost:
    CONGEALED CHICKEN SALAD (serves 16)
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup celery, diced fine
    1 small onion, diced fine
    1 small can baby green peas, drained
    1/2 cup nuts, chopped
    3 or more cups chicken diced
    4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
    3 TBL sweet pickle, chopped
    2 oz pimiento, chopped
    1 cup mayonnaise
    3 TBL (2 envelopes) Knox gelatin
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Dissolve gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water, then in 1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth. Combine all other ingredients. Put in flat casserole or in 16 individual molds. Chill.~~Pass the Plate

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Patti and Ginger!
    I found this one and it seems to be the closest!

CHICKEN SALAD

3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced fine
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 sm. box lemon Jello
    6 oz. cream cheese
    1/4 to 1/2 c. water
    1 c. Miracle Whip
    1/2 c. onions
    3 green peppers, diced fine
    3 stalks celery, diced fine

Put chicken into cream of chicken soup and heat. Add lemon Jello. Whip together cream cheese and water, then add to soup. Stir remaining ingredients into soup mix. Put in mold and chill. Serve with crackers or small buns.

• lindac
    16 years ago

You asked a question..."does this sound good".
    To me canned cream of chicken soup, salad dressing and cream cheese mixed with lemon Jello and chicken does not sound good.
    I'd go with Ginger's or Patty's recipe.
    Linda C

• momj47
    16 years ago

I agree with Linda, your post asks if it sounds good, and congealed chicken salad does not sound good at all. Maybe in the 1950's, when gelatin in salad's were popular, but tastes have changed and I don't think it would appeal to many people today, even if it tastes great.

I assume your water aerobics class is a fitness class - the ingredients in the salad are pretty unhealthy.

If you want a chicken salad, make a tasty one, like Linda's, with a fruit to add interest. You can bring some lettuce, tomatoes and a few other crunchy veggies and everyone can make their own salad plate. You can easily keep it chilled in a cooler during the class.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Glenda,
    Here is one that I found but have not tried......sounds rather nice:
    Chicken Almond Gelatin Delight
    1pk lemon jello
    1c hot water
    1c cold water
    2T lemon juice
    1c diced cooked chicken breast
    1/2c mayonnaise
    1 tsp salt
    1/3c toasted sliced almonds
    1/3c thinly sliced celery
    Dissolve gelatin in hot water in a 1 1/2 quart bowl. Add cold water and lemon juice. Chill until partially set; add chicken, mayo, salt, almonds, and celery.
    Chill until firm. Unmold and serve with mayo thinned with whipped cream if desired.
    8 Servings.
    From "Recipes on Parade..Salads"
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Glenda, you obviously liked the original one you made years ago that none of us tasted so whichever one you make, let us know the one you made & liked this time around.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I would imagine that your water aerobic friends are in your age group and would find the recipe tasty too. However, while the ingredients don't appeal to me, it might taste great! Like a mousse...

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Hi All! I've lived below the Mason-Dixon line since 1984. I've discovered that true Southerns truly appreciate foods that the rest of the world doesn't understand. Glenda, I hope you find what you want and ignore those who don't have the same taste. You are a great Southern lady!

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

beachlily, you rock!
    Thank you!
    Have decided on a caprese salad with marinated olives!
    So no criticism from the PRO's who seem to think they are better than any others! hmmmmmmmmmmmm