Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

LOOKING for: Bread machine Rye bread

User
16 years ago

Do you have a tried & true recipe for Rye bread? How about a great raisin bread? Thanks

Comments (2)

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Hey JoAnn! I've had this recipe for Jewish Rye for quite a while. Don't remember where I got it, nor have I ever tried it. If you do, please post the results.

ABM JEWISH RYE BREAD

1-1/8 cup water
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1 Tblsp. sugar
    2 cups white flour (for darker rye, substitute whole wheat flour for up to 3/4 cup)
    1 cup rye flour (for lighter rye, substitute white flour for up to half the rye)
    1 Tblsp. olive oil (optional -- it seems to make the bread stay fresh longer and some people prefer the texture)
    1 Tblsp. caraway seeds
    1/4 cup chopped onions (optional)
    2 tsp. yeast

Place all ingredients in bread machine in recommended order on the dough cycle.

After first rise, remove dough, place on a bread board and punch down. If dough is too sticky, covering your hands or the bread board with corn meal or white flour usually is enough to bring it to the right consistency.

If using a bread pan, shape loaf and place it in oiled bread pan. If you have a pizza stone, don't use a bread pan; shape the dough into a loaf or a ball or as you like and place it on a floured board (or the pizza peel). In either case, slash top with a sharp knife, cover the dough with a tea towel and leave it to rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven (preferably with pizza stone) to 450° F. The stone makes the bread crustier and gives a better contrast between the crust and the interior crumb.

Spritz walls of oven with water twice before putting loaf in. (Omit for a less crusty bread).

Bake thirty minutes at 450° F., spritzing the oven walls once more after five minutes, or, alternatively, bake fifteen minutes at 450° F., then reduce heat to 350° F. and bake thirty minutes more. Remove and allow to cool on rack.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

You could knead this up in your bread machine. I wouldn't bake it in a BM though.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Rye Bread
    =========
    1 1/2 cups rye flour
    3 cups bread flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat
    2 teaspoons yeast
    2 to 3 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon molasses
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    Approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups water

Egg Wash
    . Stir together all the dry ingredients. Add the molasses, butter and 1
    1/4 cups of water. Mix until dough comes together. Add more water if
    needed. Knead until dough is smooth and supple. Dough should not be
    too stiff.

I used the Food Processor to knead the dough.

Oil a large bowl and roll the dough to coat it wth the oil. Cover with
    plastic wrap.

Let rise until double, approximately 1 1/2 hours.

Knock dough down, divide in half and form two loaves. Free form or in
    a loaf pan.

Dust the loaves with a little flour and cover with a tea towel.

Heat oven to 350°F.

Slash loaves and brush with an egg wash. Bake on a stone or on a
    parchment covered baking sheet for approximately 45 minutes or until an
    instant read thermometer reads 190°F.