Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

LOOKING for: use for Miracle Whip

party_music50
17 years ago

Hi --

I'm looking for any recipes that use a lot of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing... I ended up with 4 big jars by mistake. lol!

Anybody have any good dips or things like that made with it?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I think I might donate 3 of those jars to a food pantry and take a tax deduction.
    I like MW in tuna, sometimes....and I love it on a cheese sandwich...
    But think I would have trouble using 4 big jars!
    Linda C

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

Although we prefer mayonnaise, I do keep it on hand for a salad dressing recipe given to me by an Amish woman.
    She mixes 1/2 cup sugar with two rounded tablespoons of MW. Stir well and refrigerate for a couple of hours. She serves it on chopped head lettuce, with a finely diced hard boiled egg.
    I seem to remember a chocolate cake made with MW, but not sure about the recipe.

Jan

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

I havenÂt made these but cut the recipe out of a magazine years ago because they looked good. IÂd probably chill the mixture an hour or two before shaping.

TUNA CAKES

2 cans (6 oz. each) tuna in water, drained
    ½ cup Miracle Whip
    ¼ cup dijon mustard
    ¼ cup each finely chopped celery, green pepper, and green onions (scallions)
    1 jar (2 oz.) chopped pimiento, drained
    ½ tsp. each salt and black pepper
    1 ¼ cups dry bread crumbs, divided

Mix all ingredients except only mix in ½ cup of the bread crumbs. Shape mixture into 15 (2 inch) balls. Roll in remaining ¾ cup of bread crumbs, coating well. Flatten balls into small patties. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Heat ½ cup oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add tuna patties. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional oil as needed. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels. Makes 8 servings.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

I've never knowingly eaten Miracle Whip. How does it differ from mayo?

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Miracle Whip is sweeter and has a bit of vinegar in it. I think it is advertised as "Salad Dressing" rather than mayo.

The only suggestions I have beyond the ones above is potato salad, ham salad or BLTs. Those are the only ways I have liked Miracle Whip in the past.

Alexa

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Thanks, Alexa.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I too remember stumbling onto a chocolate cake recipe using quite a lot of mayo or miracle whip... don't remember where I saw that now.

Thanks for the ideas.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I also ended up with an industrial sized jar of MW after a graduation open house, so I had to find ways to use it, besides on white bread with fresh tomatoes as a sandwich.

Here is a cake recipe that takes Miracle Whip as the "fat" ingredient, it was pretty good. Then again, maybe it was just the caramel frosting that I put on it, LOL.

MIRACLE WHIP SPICE CAKE

3/4 c. Miracle Whip
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    3/4 c. cold water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. molasses
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine Miracle Whip and sugar. Sift together the flour, soda, baking powder, cloves and nutmeg. Combine cold water, molasses, salt and cinnamon. Mix, alternating wet and dry ingredients into sugar mixture. Place in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I also used it in chicken and ham salad, potato salad and as a dressing for a salad made of broccoli and cauliflower pieces, with 1/2 cup of raisins, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and a few slices of crumbled bacon. Mix a cup of MW with a couple of tablespoons of sugar (to taste) and enough vinegar to make it "pourable", pour over salad and refrigerate.

It can also be used straight as the dressing on top of a 7 layer salad.

Annie

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

I love MW on my sandwiches and in potato salad and deviled eggs. Just love the lightness and zip. However it is not a sub for mayo in most dishes, particularly cooked dishes, it separates and becomes oily.

I could go through 4 large jars in the summer but in winter, Linda is right, donate it while it is still good.

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

I love MWhip on sandwiches, in potato salad, egg salad, tuna salad and with creamy cucumbers. I use Mayo in my chicken casserole, macaroni salad and crab salad.
    When I was a kid, my mother made a chocolate mayonnaise cake which was delicious and I know she used MWhip. It was a no egg cake. I wish I had the recipe.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I mix Miracle Whip with Mayo for potato salad, egg salad, etc. I also throw in a little ranch dressing sometimes.

But it would take me a long time to go thru 4 jars. I mught consider donating at least 2 of them.

Linda

• party_music50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, look what I just found! I don't know if links to this are allowed, so I'll quote the entire page:

QUOTE:

Miracle Whip Chocolate Cake
    Recipe file created January 14, 2000.
    This is the best chocolate cake I have ever had. The recipe comes from
    The Northern Cookbook which is currently out of print.

Ingredients

* 1 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour
    * dash of salt
    * 1/2 cup cocoa
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 cup water, cold

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 - 8 inch layer pans, or one large cake pan. Combine salad dressing and sugar, stirring until smooth. Add vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to salad dressing mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Blend well after each addition until smooth. Pour into prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes. Frost as desired.

END QUOTE.

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Partymusic, yes, links are allowed!

• goose53
    17 years ago

check out the Kraft website, they make Miracle whip and have all kinds of recipes...search for the Cheesy Ham Casserole (I've been making this for years, it was on the back of the jar), the Parmesean chicken...you can usually put in a few ingredients and pull up all sorts of recipes there.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company