Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol4457

RECIPE: looking for chess pie recipe

carol4457
14 years ago

I just learned of this pie last night. Apparently it's an old southern favorite. Does anyone know to make it? Would love the recipe. Thanks

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

CHESS PIE
    1 1/1 cups sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 1/2 TBL corn meal
    1 1/2 TBL flour
    1/2 cup melted butter
    6 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 9" unbaked pie crust

Combine ingredients & pour into unbaked pie shell.
    Bake in a preheatd 250° oven for 1 hour or until just firm in the middle.~~Jr. League of Mobile "Recipe Jubilee"

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Lemon Chess is my favorite!

David's Lemon Chess Pie

3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1 TB cornmeal
    juice of one lemon and also the rind, grated
    1/2 t. vanilla extract

In a blender, blend each item in as it is added. Pour into a 9-inch pastry shell and bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until set and dark golden brown. Bake on the middle oven shelf or just below middle in the oven.

Filling can be used for 1 dozen 3-inch tarts if preferred. Bake tarts for about 30 minutes.

The TB of cornmeal adds just the right touch of texture to the filling.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Chocolate Chess Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 TB cocoa
    1 small can evaporated milk
    1/2 stick butter, softened
    2 eggs
    1 t. vanilla

Mix all ingredients in the blender or in a bowl with an electric mixer. Put into an unbaked 9-inch pie shell and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or more until just set.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

CLASSIC CHESS PIE WITH VARIATIONS

1 (15 oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrusts (or make your own)
    2 cups sugar
    2 Tblsp. cornmeal
    1 Tblsp. all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1/4 cup milk
    1 Tblsp. white vinegar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Unfold piecrusts, and stack on a lightly floured surface. Roll into 1 (12-inch) circle. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Line piecrust with aluminum foil and fill crust with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 425° F. for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 2 to 3 minutes more or until golden. Let cool completely.
    Stir together sugar and next 7 ingredients until blended. Add eggs, stirring well. Pour into piecrust.
    Bake at 350° F. for 50 to 55 minutes, shielding edges of pie with aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool pie complete on a wire rack.

Coconut Chess Pie:
    Prepare filling as directed; stir in 1 cup toasted coconut before pouring into piecrust. Bake as directed.

Chocolate-Pecan Chess Pie:
    Prepare filling as directed; stir in 3-1/2 Tblsp. cocoa and 1/2 cup toasted pecans before pouring into crust. Bake as directed.

Lemon Chess Pie:
    Prepare filling as directed; stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice and 2 tsp. grated lemon rind before pouring into piecrust. Bake as directed.

• Chung21
    13 years ago

I was in the average of authoritative a Chess pie and accomplished I was out of boilerplate extract. pass4sure 70-542 I commissioned some maple abstract I had on hand, added some pecans and the aftereffect was delicious. pass4sure 70-621 This pie is corrupt and rich, so auspiciously a baby allotment will do. I anticipate this would be a abundant pie for Thanksgiving. Top with aperitive aerated chrism or aerated topping if desired. pass4sure 1z0-533
    Bake for 10 account in the preheated oven, again abate calefaction to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 40 minutes. Let cool. pass4sure 70-290 Cut and top servings with aerated cream. You will anticipate you accept died and gone to heaven.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living