Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackiwolfe

LOOKING for: Share your Super Bowl Recipes!!

jackiwolfe
17 years ago

With the Super Bowl coming up, I thought we could all share any recipes you like to prepare or plan on trying for the big day. I won't be as excited for this game as I was when my beloved Gators won the National Championship, I like the Super Bowl for two reasons: the commercials and the food!

Here's one I plan on trying:

Super Potato Skins

6 medium baking potatoes, baked

2 Tbsp. oil

1 jar (15 oz.) CHEEZ WHIZ Cheese Dip, heated

1/4 cup OSCAR MAYER Real Bacon Bits

1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

1/4 cup green onion slices

PREHEAT oven to 375F. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. (Reserve centers for another use.) Cut shells in half crosswise.

PLACE shells, skin sides down, on baking sheet; brush insides of shells lightly with oil.

BAKE 15 min. or until golden brown. Top evenly with CHEEZ WHIZ, bacon bits, sour cream and onions.

This one is also very good:

Creamy Feta Dip for a Party

(Throw this one together the night before)

Makes 2 1/2 cups

1 lb organic feta cheese, mashed

2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon

2 Tbs dried oregano

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place ingredients in blender or food processor. Process

or blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Chill for several

hours or overnight so flavors will marry. Serve with lots

of raw crunchy vegetables.

And finally, one of my mom's classics:

Layered Bean Dip

2-16oz. cans refried beans

1 can chopped green chiles, drained

1 envelope taco seasoning mix

1-16oz. jar salsa

1 ½ c. sour cream

3 c. shredded lettuce

1 ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese

Black olive slices

Tortilla chips

In a medium bowl, mix together refried beans, green chiles, and taco seasoning mix. Spread on a 12" round serving platter. Spread sour cream on top of bean mixture. Top with shredded lettuce, cheese, taco sauce, and olives. Serve with tortilla chips. May add guacamole if desired.

Comments (6)

• danain
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jacki, I started this at the CF but threads move so fast over there it's easy to miss them. I had to dig this out of the third page. There are some good ideas there.

Marilyn

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

The guys love this easy to prepare munchie..great w/alcohol.
    Dried Beef Rollups
    1 glass jar of dried beef
    1 lg cream cheese-whippeed
    1 jar miniature sweet gherkin pickles

lay dried beef rounds all out on counter. Spread with a medium thin layer of cream cheese. Cut the gherkins in half-lengthways & play a half on the end of each of the dried beef rounds & roll up. Done.

I also like to make these-can also be made ahead:

Pumpernickle square party size bread slices
    2Lg cream cheese w/salmon
    thinly sliced smoked salmon for garnish
    2 cucumbers

** Slice cukes and dry w/paper towel. Spread the salmon cream cheese on each slice of bread. Place a cuke on top, add a dollop more of the salmon cream cheese, then top w/a nice curl of smoked salmon & a tiny sprig of parsley or grated lemon peel.

• ann_t
    17 years ago
  • littleonefb
    17 years ago

My hubby and I don't watch the game, he does love the commercials though, my 23 year old daughter and her 3 roommates are hosting a pot luck super bowl party for at least 30 people.

She called me yesterday to ask for the recipes for the following. All to be their food offerings for the day and evening. She no doupt will be tripling or more the recipes for their party.

Orange and sweet potato stew (from woman's world magazine)
    chinese chicken wings (from boston globe)
    Kraft chicken wings
    Mom's banana bread
    Pound cake (printed in Ann lander's many years ago)
    Hershey's deep dish brownies
    Mom's floating Island punch (from betty crocker)

ORANGE AND SWEET POTATO BEEF STEW
    SERVES 6

INGREDIENTS
    1 orange
    1 1/2 pounds beff stew meat cut into 2 inch cubes
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 onion chopped
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 can (14 1/2 oz) low sodium beef broth
    1 cup chopped pitted prunes
    2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley

using a vegetable peeler, remove zest, withoug white pith, from all over orange. Halve orange and reserve juice.

Coat beef with flour. In large pot, heat oil over mediium heat. Add beer; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, and curry. Cook until onion is softened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth, prunes, and reserved zest in strips and juice. Bring to a boil; cover and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally, 1 hour.

Add potates; cook until meat and potatoes are tender, 45-60 minutes. Stir in peas and cilantro or parsely. Remove zest and serve.

My changes. I added several peeled russet potates with the sweet potatoes. Also added fresh green beans and sliced white mushrooms about half way through the cooking time for the potates and only used 1/2 teaspoon of curry. I also thinned the thick sauce with added orange juice.

CHINESE CHICKEN WINGS ALSO CALLED SILVER SPOON WINGS
    MAKES HORS D'OEVRES FOR 6-8 PEOPLE.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup pineappe juice
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2-3 pounds chicken wings, cut at the joints, tips discarded.

Combine sugar, water, soy sauce, ginger and garlic powder. Stir until sugar is disolved and set aside. Place chicken wings in large ziploc bag. Pour in marinade and seal. Marinate wings at least one full day, 2 days is even better, turning bag several times to mix.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lift wings from marinade and place on cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 40 minutes or until tender, basting twice with remaining marinade. Can be eaten hot or cold.

KRAFT MARINATED CHICKEN WINGS
    MAKES 36 APPETIZERS

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 dozen chicken wings disjointed
    1 8 ounce bottle kraft catalina salad dressing
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons minced ginger

Mix marinate and set aside. put chicken wings in ziploc bag. Pour marinade in and seal. marinate wings several hours or over night.

Place wings on broiler pan and broil 15-20 minutes, brushing with marinade once. Turn wings once during cooking.

Serve with horseraddich sauce.

Both wing recipes can be made the day before and reheated in a microwave or oven.

Stew is easy to make the day of

MOM'S BANANA BREAD
    MAKES 1 LOAF.
    BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY OR THE BREAD WILL NOT COME OUT LIGHT AND AIRY, MORE LIKE A CAKE.

INGREDIENTS

2 CUPS FLOUR
    1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
    2 MEDIUM BANANAS MASHED
    1/2 CUP UNSALTED MARGARINE SOFTENED
    1 CUP SUGAR
    2 EGGS
    1/4 TEASPOON VANILLA
    1/4 CUP WATER

OPTIONAL TO ADD
    1/2 CUP FINELY CUT UP DATES
    1/2 CUP FINELY CHOPPED WALNUTS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    In large bowl, cream margarine and sugar. beat in eggs one at a time until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and mashed bananas. Add flour, baking soda and mix just till blended. Add water and mix till blended. Stir in dates and/or walnuts if using. Turn into a loaf pan greased or sprayed with pam and bake 65-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in center. Cool about 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
    Tastes wonderful when still warm

PPUND CAKE FROM ANN LANDERS
    MAKES 2 LOAVES

PREHEAT OVEN TO 275 DEGREES BAKE ABOUT 1 HOUR AND 45 MINUTES

BE SURE TO USE AND EXTREMELY LARGE MIXING BOWL

INGREDIENTS

3 sticks unsalted margarine or butter
    3 cups sugar
    5 large eggs
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon lemon extract or l teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    7/8 cup gingerale, or lemon-lime soda

Cream margarin until light. Cream in sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in 1 up flour and extracts and a little gingerale. Continue adding flour and gengerale until all ingredients are used.
    Pour into 2 greased and floured or sprayed with pam, loaf pans.
    Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes until toothpick stuck in center comes out dry and sides shrink from pan. Let cool in pan.

This was always my kids favorite and would prefer this pound cake to a birthday cake every year.

HERSHEY'S DEEP DISH BROWNIES FROM THE HERSHEY'S KITCHEN

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

blend melted butter or margarine, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add eggs. beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Spread in grease or sprayed with cooking spray, 8 inch square pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Cool and cut into squares.

Tastes really good when served still a little warm

MARDI GRAS PUNCH
    MAKES 14 SERVINGS, ABOUT 1 CUP EACH

INGREDIENTS

1 6 ounce can frozen orange juice thawed
    1 6 ounce can frozen lemonade thawed
    1 quart apple juice
    2 quarts or 1 2 liter bottle gingerale
    raspberry sherbet
    orange sherbet
    lime sherbet
    lemon sherbet

in lage punch bowl, stir together concentrates and apple juice. Stir in giner ale; scoop balls of sherbet into punch. You can also add ice cubes to keep cold.

My changes. I freeze fruit, such as blueberries, pieces of strawberries and grapes in with ice cubes. Then add to the punch with the sherbet.
    As the sherbet starts to melt in leaves a foam on the top of the punch which adds to the taste.

Hope you try some or all of these. They are all easy to double, triple etc for a large crowd

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

I forgot to add this recipe my daughter wanted for her party. The girls wanted something "healthy and refreshing" to also go with all the "unhealthy type food."

CUCUMBER AND WATERMELON SALAD FROM EVERY DAY FOOD

INGREDIENTS

3 cups peeled and cubed european cucumber
    3 cups cubed watermelon
    3 tablespoons lime juice

optional
    pepper and salt to taste

combine the cucumber, watermelon and lime juice. If not serving right away add salt and pepper if desired just before serving.

My changes. I leave out the salt and just add pepper. This tastes wonderful served over sherbet or vanilla ice cream as well. My daughter likes to make one as is without any salt and another bowl without salt but she adds a sprinkle of white wine to the salad just before serving.

• jackiwolfe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mmmm, those all sound so good!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County