Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Yet Another Winner

Posted by gardenlad (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 19:58

This is a fancy appearing dish that's actually quick and easy to make. Only needs about 20 minutes prep time and less than that cooking.

Pork Chops with Pear & Ginger Sauce

4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp canola oil*
3 tbls cider vinegar
2 tbls sugar
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 firm , ripe pear, peeled, cored and cut lenghtwise into eighths
A 1 1/2-inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips
6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
2 tsp cornstarch,mixed with 2 tsp water

Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a palte and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan.

Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10-20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.

*Because virtually the entire rape crop has been genetically modified I never use canola oil. I substituted olive oil, which worked just fine. And, of course, I don't even own a non-stick pan, so used cast-iron.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Yet Another Winner

This sounds lovely! :) I think I see dinner for Saturday. Maybe with roasted butternut squash (EVOO, salt, and FGBP), and white asparagus with roasted garlic vinaigrette?

Thank you for the shared recipe!

o

Just got up, haven't had coffee, and mind is melted. What, please, is FGBP?

o

:) Sorry...freshly ground black pepper...nothing exotic. I was just letting you know that the squash would be savory and not sweet!
This sounds like a real winner of a recipe.

o

I knowed it had to be something simple, just couldn't work it out.

The squash sounds like a perfect accompaniment to the pork. I think I'd go with something a little more visually assertive than white asparagus, though. The pork & pears are essentially white, ya know.

Maybe sweet & sour red cabbage?

o

Well... :) ...I already have the white asparagus! But you're right about the cabbage. It would be perfect.

o

I made this for my family last night. It is a keeper. It was easy, and made for a gorgeous presentation. My family loved it! I will make this for my next dinner party. Thanks for the great recipe

o

Well, Washit, sometimes it's just hard to be humble. :>)

Glad you enjoyed it. What did you choose as sides?

o

Roasted asparagus and a simple brown rice. I loved the combo. The nutty flavor of the rice and the sauce seemed to go very nice together. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here