Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

RECIPE: Yet Another Winner

gardenlad
17 years ago

This is a fancy appearing dish that's actually quick and easy to make. Only needs about 20 minutes prep time and less than that cooking.

Pork Chops with Pear & Ginger Sauce

4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed

Salt & pepper to taste

2 tsp canola oil*

3 tbls cider vinegar

2 tbls sugar

2/3 cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

1 firm , ripe pear, peeled, cored and cut lenghtwise into eighths

A 1 1/2-inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips

6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths

2 tsp cornstarch,mixed with 2 tsp water

Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a palte and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan.

Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10-20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.

*Because virtually the entire rape crop has been genetically modified I never use canola oil. I substituted olive oil, which worked just fine. And, of course, I don't even own a non-stick pan, so used cast-iron.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County