Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vangy_gw

RECIPE: looking for:instant soups made w/ bean flours

Vangy
17 years ago

"Country Beans", cook book by Rita Bingham has a few, and the ones w/ cooked beans could be adated. I would like some tried and true recipes made w/ various bean flours, or in combination.

I used my coffee grinder to make some coarse black bean flour, it made a great soup.

Other ways to use bean flours too , would be appreciated

Vangy likes to cook as well as play in the dirt

Comments (4)

• fearlessem
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry Vangy -- have never even heard of recipes with bean flours, but would certainly be interested in whatever you find as I do love beans,

emily

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

I mill bean flour and use it in many different ways. I mill in a Whisper Mill (now goes by the name - Wonder Mill) grain mill, so I get a very fine flour. Not all grain mills can mill large beans - so check manufacturer's information.

If you want to add fiber and protein to baked goods, use bean flour for a portion of regular flour (up to 15-20%). Small white beans have the least amount of "beany" flavor and work best in baked goods. They also work best in foods that include spicy flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.), which help to hide any bean flavor.

You will find lots of recipes using bean flour in most gluten-free cookbooks.

Bob's Red Mill has recipes using bean flour:
    - Fast Refried Bean Dip (uses black bean flour)
    - Mexican Bean Gravy "
    - Black Bean Tortillas "
    - Black Bean Dip "
    Click on the link below. Click on RECIPES at the top of the page.

BAKEHOUSE CHEEZY HEARTLAND SOUP
    (using whole white beans milled into flour using the Whispermill)

Mix together and stir well before each use:
    1/2 c. Red Star nutritional yeast
    2/3 c. white bean flour
    1 t. sea salt
    1/4 t. each paprika and celery seed
    1/2 t. mustard (ground)
    1 T. chicken style broth powder
    1/8 c. bac'un bits

Bring one cup water to a boil, reduce heat. Stir in 3 T. of the mix. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use less water for a thick cheezy style sauce.

Variation: Saute 1-1/2 c. diced veggies (onion, carrot, celery, potato) until softened. Add 1-1/2 c. water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and 1/3 c. cheezy saucy. Cook 5 minutes, until veggies are tender and soup is thickened. Soup will thicken a little more as it cools. This chills and reheats well.
    ------------

You can make refried beans in a few minutes using pinto bean flour. Great for campers.

- 1 cup whole beans = 1-1/8 c. bean flour

- STIFF REFRIED BEANS - 1 c. water plus 1/3 c. bean flour = 1 c. instant mashed beans (equal to canned refried beans) Cook and stir for 1 minute until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to medium/low. Cover the pan and cook 6 minutes (stirring occasionally).

- FLUFFY REFRIED BEANS - 2 c. water plus 3/4 c. bean flour = 2-1/2 c. fluffy mashed beans (nice on tortillas or used for dips by adding salsa or picante sauce)

You can also mill black beans for refried black bean.

Boil 2-1/2 c. water
    Whisk in dry ingredients:
    3/4 c. pinto or black bean flour
    pinch garlic powder (optional)
    1/2 - 3/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. cumin
    1/2 t. chili powder

Cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium/low. Cover pan and cook 4 minutes (stirring occasionally).
    --------------------

CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
    Here's a way to make cream of chicken soup from beans. The kids love the stuff.

1 Cup Navy Bean Flour (Lima beans or Garbanzo beans will also work.)
    4 Cups Water or Milk
    1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup dehydrated onions or 1 small onion optional

Grind the dry beans in a wheat grinder. Usually, 3/4 cup of beans will make 1 cup of flour. Add the other dry ingredients to the bean flour. Stir 1/2 cup of water or milk into the bean flour until it is mixed then add the rest of the water or milk and heat it in a medium sized sauce pan, constantly stirring. As it reaches the boiling point it will thicken. Boil it for about a minute. If it gets too thick add a bit more water/milk until your soup thins down to what cream of chicken soup should be. If it lacks flavor, add a bit more chicken bouillon. Garnish with dry parsley flakes.

Serves 4.

Recipe from waltonfeed.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's Red Mill

• Vangy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks grainlady.
    My first attempt to make bean flour was in my coffee grinder, using black beans. It turned out ok, and after cooking a bit, I used my "thunder stick" to "fine tune it" he he !!!
    I have a Bosh mill, a big hand mill, and a Vita Mix, but my grain "Hopper" for the vita mix is ??? in a box some where.
    I remembered I had bought a Country Bean recipe book in "99. So went looking for it. 90% of my cook books are packed from moving to this tiny rent house 3 years ago. Found it in the only crate of cook books in my kitchen.
    Wonder full book. It tells to cook black beans, split pea size beans 10 minutes then put in blender, the 'vita mix is great for "smoothing" the beans. I add all vegetable ingredients to the boiling water with the beans then blend a portion at a time. I usually carmelize my onions w/ garlic for soups & chili,gives a better flavor.
    Larger beans, such as pinto's cook 20 minutes, and big limas probably 30. This system works good for me.
    I like to grind my spices as needed, in the coffee mill, which is not used for coffee but flax, spices and now beans.
    Yesterday I cooked 2 cups of black beans, adding onion, galic, and 1/4 cup of broken wild rice, cumin & salt before blending, then added tomato sauce, chicken broth, chicken soup base, and water. It was thick when cooled, and today I added water.
    We do not get much gas from the bean flours either.
    Thanks for responding.

Blessings,
    Vangy likes to cook and plays in the dirt

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

We made the refried beans last night and even with the added cumin, salt, & dried onions it didn't compare to home cooked whole pintos made into refried beans. Thickness was fine and it was edible, but lacking flavor and color.

It was a thumbs down trial here.

Many years ago I dehydrated split pea soup or homemade refried beans with less salt in recipes. Then we would rehydrate them while camping or just ate the dry bean chips. It was easy & worked well. Be sure to have a thick mixture to start out with so that you're not dealing with running liquid, but more of a paste. Also **reduce** salt in recipe as when dehydrated it is more concentrated.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!