Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

RECIPE: turkish ground chicken kebabs

san_
19 years ago

generally, i don't care for ground chicken or turkey. love them both in their whole state but once the meat is ground, it really has to be "disguised" pretty well for me to enjoy it. tried out this recipe last night from "food down under" and we'll definitely do it again!

in a large bowl, combine:

1# ground chicken or turkey

2 egg whites (used just over 1/4 C of egg beaters--that was plenty)

3T finely chopped onion

3T finely chopped red pepper (we omitted that)

2T olive oil

1/4 chopped fresh parsley

1/2 tsp nutmeg (we omitted this)

3/4 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp salt

mix the above together with your hands

divide into 4 portions and form into a 3" long sausage roll shape and insert a flat-bladed skewer into it. gently flatten the meat into an oval shape around each skewer. arrange on a foil-lined broiling tray and brush each with a little olive oil (i skipped that). broil about 2 minutes per side and serve with rice pilaf.

Comments (7)

• woodie
    19 years ago

San, I've had some ground chicken in my freezer and I can't remember why I bought it in the first place, I just know it was a recipe from here! I'll have to check the date (LOL) and try your recipe.

• rosecmd
    19 years ago

I have a recipe for lasagne that uses ground chicken or turkey...it also has diced roasted red peppers along with the ground chicken in the tomato sauce, and no mozzarella or ricotta cheese. I make a cheesy bechamel sauce (with gruyere and parmesan) that covers the top -- it's delicious, tastes rich, and is a great dish for a crowd. Let me know if you'd like the recipe...

I also use ground turkey breast and ground chicken in taco filling (also good on salad greens), with curry as an empanada filling, in turkey burgers, with black beans in a chili, and turkey meatloaf. The key is really jazzing it up with spices and other ingredients. I can make some pretty tasty, healthy dishes with it --

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    19 years ago

I've copied your recipe, San, sounds good! I've never used ground turkey except for this recipe which I've made a number of times.It's very easy and tastes great!

Rosecmd, can you please post that recipe? Thanks!

Turkey Meatloaf with Cranberry Glaze

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup mashed jellied cranberry sauce(canned)
    2 pounds ground turkey
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup bread crumbs
    3 eggs -- lightly beaten
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup diced red onions
    about 1/2 cup chicken broth -- (just enough to moisten)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    For the glaze, spread the brown sugar over the bottom of a greased loaf pan and spread the cranberry sauce over the sugar. In a large bowl mix all the remaining ingredients until well incorporated.

Form the meat mixture into the loaf pan, laying out over the cranberry glaze. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

Cooking Live - FoodTV

• msazadi
    17 years ago

San was the red pepper indicated in the recipe, hot red peppers or the standard sweet ones? I could see it going either way, and I don't know Turkish food that well to judge. Maureen

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Thanks, San. I too cook with it (quite often) and have to disquise it. I have to try that! No problems then with inserting the skewer? I always wondered about ground meat on a skewer - I always imagined they "molded" it on. I am putting this on the menu for next week.

Oh, and Carol - I copied your recipe too. Thanksgiving in a meatloaf. I will have that one with mashed potatoes and green beans.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

San, given the cooking directions, can I ask why you are putting skewers in them?

Throughout the Mid-East there are variations of chopped meat "kababs". I particularly like Kabab Mashwi from the Gulf States, for instance.

But they're skewered because they are suspended over a charcoal fire. With a broiling tray to support the fingers, why do you need the skewers.

• san_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

maureen--i'm very sorry--i know nothing about turkish food at all and i copied the recipe as written. my "guess" would be that it meant red bell peppers, but i don't know that for a fact...

and rose--i'll second carol's request for your lasagne recipe, please.

for maggie and gardenlad--i did not use the skewers. i imagine you would sort of "mold them" onto the skewers if doing the recipe as written. but as gardenlad asked, if using a broiler pan, i just couldn't see a reason to do that. i made oval, sort of flattish patties and cooked them...