Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Sweet & Sour salad dressing

Posted by naturegurl (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 19:39

Years ago I spent my winters skiing in Killington VT, and there was a restaurant called The Catamount (not the brew pub). The chef made an amazing salad dressing and refused to give out the recipe. The restuarant was sold, and the recipe lost with it. I figured out that the main ingredient was sweet chili sauce, the kind found in most asian grocers. But try as I might I have not been able to duplicate that recipe. I was just wondering if anyone out on the forum had any such recipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Sweet & Sour salad dressing

I make a similar dressing that I use on a spinach salad...
I don't have a recipe....and frankly, what I put into it depends on the chili sauce...
But this is sort of what I do...
I put some chili sauce into a bowl...about 1/4 cup and add a clove of crushed garlic
Then I add about a rounded tablespoon of brown sugar
And a little less than 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and fill to 1/4 cup with balsamic vinegar...add to the chili sauce mix.
Amd whisk in 1/2 cup EVOO....and about 1/2 tsp of a mild ground red chili...I use "hatch mild chili powder"...and 1 tsp of so of worchestershire.
Taste and add more sugar if it needs it....or a little more vinegar if the chili sauce is particularly sweet.
This is sweet and sour and a little hot all at once....
But you have to taste as you go!!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here