Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

recipe: need: recipes/suggestions for cooking fish

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

My DH's nephew lives in Alaska and is an avid fisherman. Twice a year, he overnights us a cooler of freshly caught Salmon and Halibut. We can grill the Salmon or bake it just fine, and it's delicious, but I don't know how to cook the halibut. While it's never been a favorite of mine, my DH loves it..so I need a recipe and suggestions as to how to prepare this fish.

Many thanks!

Donna

Comments (12)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Bake it...grill it or just pan fry it....I adore halibut. I think baked is best...
    Just do like you do with the salmon....and butter and lemon.
    yummy!
    Linda C

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I think you can do the halibut pretty much the same way you do the salmon. My absolute favorite fish is halibut, with salmon at a close second. Grill it, fry it, bake it. Relaxe! Good fish will be good! I like to coat it on both sides with mayonnaise. Put it into a pannini maker or onto a grill/griddle. Cook until you think it's done, and enjoy! You really can't go wrong. Just get comfortable with cooking!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

GRILLED HALIBUT WITH GINGER BUTTER (serves 4)
    Ginger Butter:
    2 green onions, chopped fine
    1 TBL minced, peeled fresh gingerroot
    1 stick butter, room temperature
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Juice of 1 lemon

2 TBL dark Asian sesame oil
    2 TBL soy sauce
    2 TBL lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
    2 TBL chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    2 scallions, chopped
    Dash of cayenne
    4 halibut steaks, 1 1/2" thick

Make the ginger butter: Beat together the green onions, ginger, butter, salt, pepper & lemon juice or process in a processor. Let stand at room temperature until ready to use.
    Make a marinade by combining the sesame oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, green onions & cayenne in a shallow glass dish. Add the halibut steaks, turning once to coat thoroughly. Cover & refrigerate 1-4 hours.
    Grill the fish over hot coals 10 minutes for each inch of thickness, turning midway through the cooking time. The fish should be firm to the touch. Or, you can broil the fish 6" from the source of heat for the same length of time. Remove the fish to a warm platter. Top each steak with a generous dollop of ginger butter.~~Calif. Sizzles

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Fish en papillote is a good way to prepare any firm white fish. This recipe is for two, but is infinitely expandable!

Fish en papillote
    two pieces of parchment paper (or aluminum foil) large enough to each wrap one fish fillet
    Two firm white fish fillets
    two stalks of celery, julienned
    two carrots, julienned
    one small onion, preferably red, sliced thin
    dash of dry white wine
    freshly ground pepper (white pepper, if you have it)
    fresh or dry thyme
    very little bit of salt

Place half the julienned vegetables on a piece of parchment paper, spreading them out to make a bed for the fillet. Place the fish fillet on top of the vegetables, drizzle about two tablespoons of white wine over the fish, sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Repeat for second fillet. Seal the parchment paper and place in baking pan and bake in 350 oven for about 20 minutes (this depends on the thickness of the fillet). Serve in the paper, to be opened on the plate because the aroma is wonderful!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

For baking thick portions of fish, I like to mix some dilly dip herb seasoning into mayonnaise and spread it on top of the fish portion and bake - usually at 400 F for 10-15 minutes per inch, then check for doneness. You can add your favorite herb, some lemon juice, garlic salt, pepper, fresh parsley/dill/basil to the mayonnaise and let it sit a few minutes to hydrate and flavor the mayonnaise.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Halibut is my favourite "ocean" fish. I just love it! My favourite is classic English Style Fish and Chips. Until recently I thought it only possible to get good fish and chips at a Fish and Chip Shop but recently I tried this recipe and it was excellent.

Tempura Batter - Garden Guru's recipe for the matter , my instructions for the fish.

1 Cup flour
    ¼ Cup cornstarch
    ¼ Tspsalt
    ½ Tsp sugar ( I omit)
    1 Tsp baking powder
    Oil for deep-frying

Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and baking powder.

Add soda water gradually, stirring with a fork, first to create a paste and then until mixture is like a thick pancake batter. Don;t make it to this , it needs to be like a thick pancake batter so add soda slowly.

Heat oil for frying to 375 F - 400 F.

Slice halibut so that filets are no more than 1/2 inch thick and maybe 4 " long . Dry fish filets on paper towels.
    Dip fish in batter, coating completely. Shake off excess.

Fry battered fish until light brown and crispy.

Do not crowd pan, or oil temperature will drop. No more than will cover ¾ of the surface of the oil.

Drain on paper towels.

VARIATION: PANKO TEMPURA

To use Japanese breadcrumbs (panko), dip items in batter, smoosh around in crumbs, then fry.

Another favourite recipe if you don;t want to fry is this recipe from the Cooking Forum. Excellent dish!

Halibut - Parmesan Crusted (Lori Hoopysmom)

1/2 Cup flour
    2 large eggs
    2 Tbl water
    2 Cup panko bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs)
    1 Cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    Zest of 1 lemon chopped
    4 I6-ounce halibut fillets skin removed
    H3 Tblolive oil

Set up 3 bowls. Place flour in the first bowl. In the second bowl, beat eggs and water. In the third bowl, combine panko, Parmesan and chopped lemon zest. First dredge the flesh side of halibut fillets in teh flour, shaking off the excess. Next, dip the flesh side in the egg. Third, dredge the flesh side in the panko mixture to coat and then pat gently to press the mixture into the egg.

Preheat oven to 400. Heat olive oil in an ovenproof nonstick pan on medium high heat. Place fillets crust side down in the pan. Sear until a golden-brown crust forms, about 4 minutes. Turn fillets over and place the pan in the preheated oven. Roast until the centers are pearly white and opaque, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW....what wonderful suggestions and the recipes sound fabulous! Thank you so much and my dh thanks you too! I'll continue to check this thread and will copy all the the recipes.

Donna

• woodie
    15 years ago

I was going to post that parmesan crusted halibut recipe myself! Just wanted to let you know, Donna, that is really a terrific recipe! I've made it, a cooking friend made it the other night and a lot of other gals on the cooking forum have made it too - its a real favorite.

Sharon - I've never made battered fried fish - would my electric frypan be good for doing that?

• angelaid
    15 years ago

I put a little olive oil in the bottom of a non stick pan, slice some onions over that, lay the halibut on top of the onions, cover and "steam" over the onions until done. It doesn't take very long.
    Serve with butter, lemon and seasonings of your choice.
    (Or drown in hollandaise sauce! LOL)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Woodie I use my large stainless steel pot. I don't think a fry pan would be deep enough, at least mine isn't.

The oil should be at least 3 " deep and then you have "bubble up" when the the fish first hits the oil.

I rarely deep fry, I mean almost never, but this one is worth it. To redeem myself the fries were done in the oven, just russets tossed in a bit of olive oil.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sharon.

• chena
    15 years ago

We make fish packets for the oven or the grill.. No mess kind of thing...LOL
    Place fish on heavy duty aluminum foil
    slice some squash and zucc's
    onion and carrots
    OLD BAY.. a must
    a little butter
    wrap it up (350* in the oven) and about 12~15 min later you have supper with a little rice on the side and a samll salad YUM..
    Did I mention very few dishes to wash...LOL

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company